Ugh, not again

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2007, 10:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So the natural childbirth mommy is waiting for her baby to come. She is a little older, 38 and she is having her fourth child and wants to do it naturally like the other 3. She is going to a midwife who luckily doesn't push for inductions. I was sitting with all of my neighbors and friends and two other pregnant friends before the natural childbirth mom came. They are all up in arms all saying how MAD they are at her doctor. "She is high risk because of being older." and "My doctor said it is much more unhealthy and scary to have a BIG baby than to have a preemie this is for both mom AND baby." What the crap?? Then one girl who was induced at 38 weeks says "I LOVE my doctor he basically INSISTS on mothers getting induced at 39 weeks. Says it is so much safer to be induced and just tells you to pick a day. I would send anyone to him." Then they say "Oh, she is getting so tired. I know she hasn't complained much, but yesterday she said she just wanted to be induced and wanted the epidural. She NEEDS one!" I finally can't take it anymore and speak up. I tell them that inductions are really risky and it bothers me that there are doctors who are pushing for it. It puts stress on the baby and the heart rate bottoms out and you have a higher risk for c-section. And if they are saying a baby is big on the u/s that is bogus because that is usually a couple POUNDS less than what is the actual size of the baby. UGH! They all looked at me like I was an alien! They didn't give one cent for what I said. Then the mommy we are all discussing comes in and says "Oh, I am doing much better today. I have been taking your EPO (that I gave her). I don't want to be induced and I want this baby naturally." This mommy is so amazing and she has only had one melt down that I have seen through all of this. Anyway, so we get on more topics of it all and we are saying how awesome and empowering natural delivery is, how it brings you closer to your spouse, etc. So many moms are like- give me the epi the minute I hit my first contraction. I just want more women to hear the risks of medical intervention AND inductions since that is what EVERYONE around me is all for. Finally another pregnant mom speaks up and says how she would love a home birth. Turns out with her first she got bullied around in the hospital and after over 24 hours of a broken water and being forced into pitocin she was bullied into either getting the epi or having a c-section. She chose the lesser. She is now with her second and going to a midwife. She can't have a home birth because of a genetic birth defect that can be passed to their kids that they have to catch right after birth. I talked to her for a long time about how nice it is to have a knowledge of natural childbirth. She said she is used to being thought of as nuts. At least out of our large community of neighbors and friends there are TWO other natural childbirth mommies. That's two out of so many who are all for unnecessary inductions, interventions, c-sections and epis. I really wish they would come out with that documentary about birth in the US. Open the eyes of some of these women!!

**UPDATE** The mommy had her baby last Saturday!! NO INDUCTION! Her Dh is so funny, he had her skipping backwards two days in a row trying to get labor started. He said it worked. lol She went to 41 weeks and guess what? Her baby boy was 7 lbs 2 oz. He was little! If she had been induced like my neighbor said her doctor demands he would have been only 5 lbs. She is up and about and was so sweet. All of us mommies were together, but because of everyone's reactions last time she pulls me to the side and says "Guess what? I had him in the tub!" She wasn't allowed to and didn't plan on it. She went into labor at 11:00 pm, it took them an HOUR to get her in a room so she walked the halls, she said it was fine, she needed to anyway. Then she got in the water at 12:30 and said it felt SO good! She labored in there until 1:00 am and then told her Dh to call in the nurse, the baby was coming. They freaked out, draining the water, wanting to move her. She said "You can't move me, the babies head is out!" They drain the water after he crowns- and get this, they even accuse her that even though they have a no water birth policy that she planned this all along. Ummm,... do they not know anything? When the baby is crowing, you can't get out! Her water also never broke. He was born in his bag of waters. This is her last one, but she told me "Now I can see why women have them in the water. It was SO wonderful and the burning was so much less." It just really makes me want one now. Hopefully next time I will have insurance that covers a birth center so I can have a water birth. Anyway, just wanted you all to know it all went well. No induction, small baby (big surprise) and healthy and happy natural childbirth.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

June 22nd, 2007, 10:55 AM
Tofu Bacon
It really is so frustrating!! I wonder how shocked people would be to learn that 90% of the world's population (alive today) was born at home...
June 22nd, 2007, 01:20 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
I know what you mean...... Sadly enough, even most of the women who do learn about the complications of medically intervened births still opt to have one with no worries. I had a *wonderful* Bradley Method teacher. She was THE BOMB. She covered so much in the 10 weeks I took her class.... yet *I* was the ONLY one who had a natural childbirth, let alone birth without unnecessary interventions

</div>
June 22nd, 2007, 01:35 PM
Ms.Michelle

I don't understand.. We are the most connected, educated, richest and supported. How is it women want these medical procedures that hurt them and their babies?

I'm glad to hear there are a few natural birth ladies out there with you LuvEmm
June 22nd, 2007, 03:05 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Just today on TLC's Bringing Home Baby they did a story about a mom who developed headaches from her epidural. It was interfering with her ability to bond with the baby. Who wants that? I loved how alert my daughter was after the birth and how good I felt! If there was a machine to let other women feel how good it was to give birth naturally maybe we could convert more.... Not that it doesn't hurt, but how involved with the birth I could be, and Dh was able to feel more involved by helping me through it.

June 22nd, 2007, 03:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

I don't understand.. We are the most connected, educated, richest and supported. How is it women want these medical procedures that hurt them and their babies?

I'm glad to hear there are a few natural birth ladies out there with you LuvEmm[/b]

I thought of this after the conversation, but I should have told them the quote that you have Michelle about women being strong. Especially since so many of them say they just couldn't handle it. How would they know if they have never done it? Your bodies endorphins take care of so much of it. After birth hurts worse than birth in my opinion because there aren't any hormones to take care of the pain. Its sad to me that because of the misinformation and doctors pushing for unnecessary procedures we have a c-section rate of over 30% and so many moms will never experience birth the way I did. They will never feel how wonderful it is. My mom went through 10 births and all of them medicalized and loaded with interventions. No wonder they were awful and she hated labor and birth. If she had just had one naturally she could have had 10 births to look back and enjoy and realize what a powerful woman she is to be able to birth her babies. (sigh)

And yes my friend who was bullied into interventions studied with Bradley classes and yet still ended up with every intervention under the sun. She now sees the mistakes she made by rushing to the hospital too quickly and not having a very understanding doctor.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

June 22nd, 2007, 04:58 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Just today on TLC's Bringing Home Baby they did a story about a mom who developed headaches from her epidural. It was interfering with her ability to bond with the baby. Who wants that? I loved how alert my daughter was after the birth and how good I felt! If there was a machine to let other women feel how good it was to give birth naturally maybe we could convert more.... Not that it doesn't hurt, but how involved with the birth I could be, and Dh was able to feel more involved by helping me through it.[/b]

I totally agree with this. My first I had an epidural and felt so detached from him, and like I was in a fog. My 2nd I had a natural childbirth... well I was induced at 41 w 2 d because I was pressured into it by the dr.
I just found out I'm pregnant again and planning totally natural... hopefully no induction!
June 23rd, 2007, 01:56 PM
Ms.Michelle
LuvEmm, that post really warmed my heart. Thank you girl.

Quote:
I was induced at 41 w 2 d because I was pressured into it by the dr.[/b]
I just told my ddc that unless there is a court order, I'm not doing it till 43 weeks.
June 24th, 2007, 09:30 AM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
I was induced at 41 w 2 d because I was pressured into it by the dr.[/b]
I just told my ddc that unless there is a court order, I'm not doing it till 43 weeks.
[/b]
I saw that! That was hilarious! What was even funnier is when someone thought that you meant that YOU would have to get a court order to get the HOSPITAL to do an induction. PRICELESS.

Honestly though, this is why I don't talk to too many people about my plans for natural birth because I find the entire current environment ridiculous. I don't even like to post much on my DDC because the sheer amount of misinformation and ignorance is too much for me (how many times do you need to stress to people that 40 weeks is an AVERAGE and that 40 weeks and 1 day is not "overdue?"). Honestly, even if people knew all of the risks and benefits on both sides people would still choose to be induced, opt for scheduled c-sections just because (I'm not talking about c-sections for emergencies), etc.

It would just be nice if people would educate themselves. Then, I can totally respect their choice either way.

But, alas, that would be way to easy.

June 24th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Ms.Michelle
Thank you!!! I was really feeling like "I'm I the only one who doesn't know this isn't an exact science?" It's awesome for me to read your post!
June 24th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Tofu Bacon
That was probably the only issue I stood my ground on with ds; I refused to be induced early. I made it to 42.5 weeks, and I can honestly say that it really isn't that bad once you get past that initial dissapointment of being "overdue." I mean sure, I was huge, uncomfortable, wearing dh's underwear and my belly was hanging down to my knee caps...but I honestly never had that "sick of being pregnant" feeling.
June 24th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Quote:
That was probably the only issue I stood my ground on with ds; I refused to be induced early. I made it to 42.5 weeks, and I can honestly say that it really isn't that bad once you get past that initial dissapointment of being "overdue." I mean sure, I was huge, uncomfortable, wearing dh's underwear and my belly was hanging down to my knee caps...but I honestly never had that "sick of being pregnant" feeling.[/b]
LOL! The mental image was hilarious!

June 24th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
That was probably the only issue I stood my ground on with ds; I refused to be induced early. I made it to 42.5 weeks, and I can honestly say that it really isn't that bad once you get past that initial dissapointment of being "overdue." I mean sure, I was huge, uncomfortable, wearing dh's underwear and my belly was hanging down to my knee caps...but I honestly never had that "sick of being pregnant" feeling.[/b]
oh you crack me up girl!
June 24th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As a mommy that was forced to be induced or dropped at 42 weeks, I was induced for 3 days unmedicated and my doctor had me push to early, my cervix swelled and everything and Alyssa's heart rate dropped to the 60s with each contrax for about 5 mins and I was knocked out and an ER c/s was preformed. I was with a midwife at a birthing center and I guess by FL law they have to send you to the overseeing OBGYN when you hit 42 weeks. I dispise both of them now. I had some many problems. I am going for an unmedicated VBAC this time. I am really dissappointed with women these days. I have a friend that went into labor on Fri night and she was talking natural and everything and her doctor convinced her into a csection because the baby is 9.5 lbs and she had no way of birthing that baby. I tried to plead with her about it, but she made the desicion for C/s. Now her baby is in a NICU because she can't breath right because of the mucus that wasn't squeezed out during vaginal childbirth. Her doctor's c/s rate is about 90%. I just don't know what they are think with epis and elective c/s and all that mess.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

June 24th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Ms.Michelle
June 24th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Her doctor's c/s rate is about 90%.[/b]
Holy Moly!!! This person needs to be investigated and dropped from insurance! Even at tertiary care centers where TRULEY high-risk women are seen the c-section rates aren't that freaking high!

BTW, how much did the baby REALLY weigh at birth? Just curious.

June 24th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Her doctor's c/s rate is about 90%.[/b]
Holy Moly!!! This person needs to be investigated and dropped from insurance! Even at tertiary care centers where TRULEY high-risk women are seen the c-section rates aren't that freaking high!

BTW, how much did the baby REALLY weigh at birth? Just curious.
[/b]

Sorry, I forgot to add that she was 8 lbs 14 ozs.

He is being investigated and he has multiple lawsuits, but since he is one of 3 OBGYNS in this medium city, he still gets tons of business. When I lived there, I REFUSED to see him. I found a midwife. He takes every medicaid person in the city that he can. The girl I was talking about had a sister that was with him. Her water broke and she was verging on pre-e, but they talked her into a c/s because the baby could die soon. He is such a liar. I had another friend that was high risk and pre-e, he dropped her, she wound up going blind from toxemia (tempoarily) because he wouldn't see her, her never told her and she was trying to find another OB but nobody was accepting patients. Her baby was born 2 lbs 5 ozs Feb 16 and she finally got to bring him home a week ago. I have heard other stories from friends' friends. I COULD NOT believe these women and girls STILL went to him after they knew about all this.

June 24th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Tofu Bacon
That is absolutely heartbreaking what those women have endured at his hands
June 24th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Quote:
That is absolutely heartbreaking what those women have endured at his hands [/b]

It is. It is truely sad. Life happens and I know what it is like to have a "authority" figure tell you something is going to happen to your baby soon and you need to be induced or c/s. I will never be that naiev (spelling?) again. I try to tell other women my story so that they don't have to go thru what I went thru. It was a normal day for the DRs and nurses that day (3 days), but it traumatized me and inhibited me from bonding and loving my child.

I just don't understand sometimes.

June 25th, 2007, 08:14 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
That is absolutely heartbreaking what those women have endured at his hands [/b]

It is. It is truely sad. Life happens and I know what it is like to have a "authority" figure tell you something is going to happen to your baby soon and you need to be induced or c/s. I will never be that naiev (spelling?) again. I try to tell other women my story so that they don't have to go thru what I went thru. It was a normal day for the DRs and nurses that day (3 days), but it traumatized me and inhibited me from bonding and loving my child.

I just don't understand sometimes.
[/b]
It drives me nuts that nearly everyone doesn't understand what kind of hell your body goes through with a c-section. As far as surgeries go I guess it's not bad, but it's still major surgery, people!!

That doctor makes me sick..

Quote:
lol! I felt the same way. The only reason the last 3 weeks of my pg were miserable was because I was fighting my stupid doctor over the induction! Sure I was huge and couldn't sleep, but that's part of it and you just have to accept it. I was so sick and tired of everyone asking me if I'd had the baby yet, why I didn't want to get induced, etc.

Oh, and my daughter was almost two weeks "overdue" and only weighed 7'5. Can you imagine if I'd been induced at 39 weeks?? Calculate 1/2 lb for about 3 weeks and she'd be 5-something and probably in the nicu.

I love it in here, btw!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search