stripping the membranes

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2007, 06:44 PM
Veteran
Is having my membranes stripped okay or am I setting myself up for further interventions? My dr. offered to strip mine for me but I told her maybe next week. I know one possible side effect is the dr. accidentally breaking the waters when she strips them which could lead to an induction. Any more info or opinions?
June 24th, 2007, 09:15 PM
nette's Avatar Super Mommy
I consider stripping still natural, because frankly it does nothing unless your body is ready, it is my preferred method of helping things along.
June 25th, 2007, 01:57 PM
itsymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to itsymama
For me it's a lil more invasive then walking or nipple stimulation ect but not nearly as invasive as other medical ways of induction , I would maybe not be opposed to it but it wouldn't be the first thing I would try , more like the last .

Brandon Michael Born By Cesarean 8-3-04 ~ Hannah Elizabeth Born By Natural VBAC 1-14-08 ~ Surprise Baby Love Due 1-18-11

June 26th, 2007, 10:17 AM
*Aspen*
It's less invasive, but I still don't like it. Risk of infection, possible breaking waters blah blah blah....anxiety levels of "is this going to work?!?!"...then the disappointment if it doesn't work. Plus, I hear from many women that it hurts like heck...so no thank you. lol
June 26th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Ms.Michelle
I would try it at 43 weeks.
June 28th, 2007, 07:13 AM
At 40 weeks with my son, the doctors were afraid that if I went any longer that by the time he was born, he'd be 10 pounds or more, which meant I wouldn't be able to have him naturally (that was my plan) anyway. So one of the docs tried to strip my membranes when I was only 1 centimeter. It was soooo painful that I actually got off of the table and told that doctor I was going home. I didn't like it and I wouldn't suggest anyone else do it either. You'll go when your body is ready and I learned that the hard way.
June 28th, 2007, 01:16 PM
itsymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to itsymama
"So one of the docs tried to strip my membranes when I was only 1 centimeter. It was soooo painful that I actually got off of the table and told that doctor I was going home. "

Now I have seen many people say it hurt really bad when they had theirs stripped , but when mine were stripped with my first I didn't feel a thing when or after she did it , I didn't even know she was doing it till she told me AFTER that she had just stripped them but that's another story . Anyway it didn't do a thing to help bring on labor anyway so I think it only really works if your body is already ready to go , but if your just not ready yet I don't think it does anything . Like I said it would be a last resort if I were past 42 weeks but I would start with allot of walking which is what started it last time and go from there .

Brandon Michael Born By Cesarean 8-3-04 ~ Hannah Elizabeth Born By Natural VBAC 1-14-08 ~ Surprise Baby Love Due 1-18-11

July 4th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Veteran
I think it hurts more the less you are already dialated. I was 4 cm already when they did it to me with #2 and it didn't hurt a bit. It did start contractions, but they didn't go anywhere. After 3 hours of contractions I was still at 4 cm and they were not regular or particularly bothersome. So, they ended up breaking my water and giving me some Pitocin, things which I had wanted to avoid. I had an OB with that pregnancy.

With my third I had a midwife. When I was 37 weeks I started having lots of regular contractions. They would be for 3-5 hours each day and be 3-4 minutes apart. The first day that happened we went into the hospital thinking it was time. The midwife had me walk for an hour and drink lots of water. No progress. So , she sent me home, thinking I was in early laber. Went I went home and went to sleep, they stopped. This pattern continued for a whole week until my water broke and then it was the real thing and progressed nicely.

What I learned from this is that I hadn't really been inlabor with my second. They irritated my cervix and started some contractions, but I'm sure now that would have gone away if they had just sent me home when things didn't progress. He probably would have baked for another week.

So, my recommendation, don't do it. You're just opening yourself up to the possibility of other interventions. Let nature take it's course. Oh, and I highly recommend midwives, they make a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE difference!!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search