What are your thoughts on the eye ointment after birth?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Joseph's Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will be a first time mom this December. I want a natural childbirth and will be using Hypnobabies. I am trying to research everything I can and came across the fact that doctors routinely use eye ointment right after birth. What are your thoughts?

Thanks... as always!!!
June 25th, 2007, 10:19 AM
CTK3989's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I said no to the eye ointment because I feel it is for people who have STD's and is to protect the baby from that. Since I don't have any STD's, I said no.

Chelci

June 25th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
Silver nitrate eye prophylaxis caused no sustained deleterious effects and even provided some benefit to infants born to women without Neisseria gonorrhoeae. However, the effect was modest and against microorganisms of low virulence. The results suggest that prenatal choice of a prophylaxis agent including no prophylaxis is reasonable for women receiving prenatal care who are screened for sexually transmitted diseases during pregnancy.[/b]
results

Quote:
Clinical Trial of Eye Prophylaxis in the Newborn - "The results suggest that prenatal choice of a prophylaxis agent including no prophylaxis is reasonable for women receiving prenatal care who are screened for sexually transmitted diseases during pregnancy."
Some midwives suggest prophylactic eye ointment for babies born in the hospital, even if they wouldn't make the same recommendation for a birth that takes place in the home or birth center. The logic is that hospitals are full of more and worse germs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree that the logic is appealing, but consider that the worst germs in the hospital are resistant to antibiotics. When you use an antibiotic to kill off the non-resistant germs, then there is nothing to keep the resistant germs in check. In particular, the normal skin flora that work to prevent infections in the first place aren't allowed to colonize the eyelash beds.[/b]
source
June 25th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I don't know... but I'm pretty sure it gave my baby eye goobers... I read that it can cause a "chemical conjunctivitis" and it seems to have done that to my baby

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

June 25th, 2007, 01:46 PM
mylittlemonsters's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mylittlemonsters
Eye ointment is used to treat babies whose mother's may have a sexually transmitted disease. If you don't have one and completely trust your SO then I believe it is unneeded.

I know there are questions as to complications caused by the eye drops. Some of these complications depend on which type of eye drops are used. Eye drops/ointment can lead to vision problems, tear duct blockage and other complications. There is a lot of research and you need to know which one they will be using.

Also check out the choosing not to vaccinate board. There is a lot of info there and a lot of women that will be more than happy to help.
June 26th, 2007, 11:52 AM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
My baby didn't have any problems with it, and my MW gave me the rest of the tube. She said it was really good for cuts.

June 26th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Shannie
I chose not to get the eye ointment since I don't have any STD's. Everly was so alert and was looking around a lot after she was born and I know the eye ointment would of interfered with that.

She did get a clogged tear duct which made her eye get all gooey. I was really worried for a while it was because I didn't use the eye stuff, but once I knew that wasn't the case I was happy with my decision and will do it again for the next baby.
June 27th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've posted this before, but eye ointment is not done routinely in Australia, so it's something I've never had to worry about. Actually I don't think that it is used here at all.
Never heard of anyone's baby having a problem either?

Mama to -
DD15, DD14, DD12, DS10, DS5, DD2

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
June 28th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
Its a stupid law in New York State - I am trying to find a way around it. Newborns don't need antibiotics in their eyes - there is no infection to begin with. This is the classic misuse of antibiotics thats causing drug-resistent bacteria.[/b]
June 28th, 2007, 09:46 PM
mylittlemonsters's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mylittlemonsters
Quote:
Its a stupid law in New York State - I am trying to find a way around it. Newborns don't need antibiotics in their eyes - there is no infection to begin with. This is the classic misuse of antibiotics thats causing drug-resistent bacteria.[/b]
There are ways around it, yes even in New York. Just like any medical procedure you can refuse this one too. I have a friend that lives in New York that had a hospital birth and refused eye drops and vaccinations. If you need more info let me know and I will put you in contact with her.
July 3rd, 2007, 09:44 AM
home4mygirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My dd didn't have the eye ointment or drops either. She was born at home and I just told my midwife no. She said she rarely does the ointment/drops but always has to ask. They are for STD's, and since I don't have them, it was just one more thing that I didn't want her to have to go through. I wouldn't like that goopy stuff in my eyes, so I figure babies probably don't like it much either.
My ped wasn't too happy about it, I don't think, but oh well. It's my daughter, not his. He wasn't overly thrilled that she was born at home either, but, once again, not his child. I'll do the same with the next one and we are seriously considering changing pediatricians. We already would have, but we LOVE the nurses there. They are great, and the ped is okay - not great, not crappy. We figure you spend more time with the nurses anyway and since we love them so much, that we might stay with him. We'll see.

"We do not choose to be born. We do not choose our parents, or the country of our birth. We do not, most of us, choose to die; nor do we choose the time and conditions of our death. But within this realm of choicelessness, we do choose how we live." Joseph Epstein

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search