Kind of an odd question

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 2nd, 2007, 07:45 PM
Tofu Bacon
So have any of you "cheated" on the glucose tolerance test? I was just remembering when I had it done when preggo with ds...I know its a precaution and all but it seem so cruel to make a pregnant woman starve herself all night, straight through until testing...only to pour a cup of pure refined sugar down her throat. I didn't have any GD issues with ds but I remember how cruddy I felt after drinking that stuff. Would it be all that terrible to sneak a piece of toast beforehand?
July 2nd, 2007, 08:51 PM
CTK3989's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't do toast because carbs turn into sugar but maybe something with little carbs and no sugar. Sorry I can't think of a food. It's late. Good luck with the GD test.

July 3rd, 2007, 06:45 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Who is doing the test? I don't know what the effects of a little bit of food are, but if it does give a false positive you will be diagnosed with gd, told to diet, possibly be put on meds or labeled high-risk. Then you either have to go along with it or 'fess up and starve yourself and drink that ###### again! IMHO not worth it.

July 3rd, 2007, 07:24 AM
wolfpack's Avatar I need a frappuccino!
It depends on the way they run the test. It can totally screw you up!!! I wouldn't do it hun! Just plan a nice breakfast out when that test is over. (Oh, and whatever you do don't drink the coke one!!!)

July 3rd, 2007, 11:00 AM
I'm in the middle of mine- as in I've been in for it once but I threw up in the trash and nearly fainted after the second hour (I also have needle anxiety and got a glimpse after the second bloodtaking). The good news is that the 2 blood samples came back normal, bad news is I have to do it again this Fri to get the rest of the samples.

But geez, how do they expect someone NOT to throw up after fasting and downing a thing that tastes like melted popsicle juice.

Good luck, but I wouldn't risk it. You seriously don't want to have to do this twice and you want accurate results because it can end up in an overlarge baby that gets stuck at the shoulders (vaginal birth) and might get nerve damage etc etc.

Unless someone can tell me differently...

Anyway, I "cheated" by playing fair: my first screen came back high but I think it was because that past month was the first month my nausea subsided and I was splurging on icecream, chocochip cookies, werthers, kitkats, and snickers and had tons of lemonade. Anyway, between the screen and the GD test (a week), I switched back to a balance diet- and the results they got DID come back normal.
July 3rd, 2007, 01:36 PM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
So have any of you "cheated" on the glucose tolerance test? I was just remembering when I had it done when preggo with ds...I know its a precaution and all but it seem so cruel to make a pregnant woman starve herself all night, straight through until testing...only to pour a cup of pure refined sugar down her throat. I didn't have any GD issues with ds but I remember how cruddy I felt after drinking that stuff. Would it be all that terrible to sneak a piece of toast beforehand?[/b]
Well, I don't do sugar/carbs/caffeine the day before and have a wicket work out the day before.. I wouldn't eat toast (carbs) but are you doing the three hour test?
July 3rd, 2007, 02:37 PM
Tofu Bacon
I think its just a 1 hour test, like I had with ds. I guess I worry because I really don't eat much sugar so I worry that it'll hit me harder than someone who is used to it more. Plus I fainted after they drew the blood when I took the test with ds. I'm figuring maybe I'll just have some veggies or a piece of cheese beforehand; just enough to not have a totally empty stomach.
July 3rd, 2007, 04:10 PM
itsymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to itsymama
Not looking forward to it but as of right now I am not declining it , I did almost throw up when I did it with my lil boy though , I would just hate to have to redo it because I cheated on it lol , and with trying for a VBAC any lil thing that would make it look high risk would not help me so I need everything to look great lol . I am going to ask my midwife if there is anything that is ok to eat if I just really can not make it without food , so that if I have to eat something she will know about it and it would be something that wouldn't affect the test so much .

Brandon Michael Born By Cesarean 8-3-04 ~ Hannah Elizabeth Born By Natural VBAC 1-14-08 ~ Surprise Baby Love Due 1-18-11

July 3rd, 2007, 04:48 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I ate some kind of protein before mine (can't remember exactly what... but it was something relatively healthy like cheese) just to stave off the starvation aspect. It still made me jittery, but it's definitely something you could try! I wouldn't eat carbs or sugar, though.

July 7th, 2007, 07:56 PM
mylittlemonsters's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mylittlemonsters
Have you done the test yet? If not, don't! Have them take random finger sticks, which is much more accurate anyway. You want them to test 2 hours after you eat.

If you are still going to do the test make sure you stay active during the hour that they wait to draw your blood sample. Activity will help your body handle the extra sugar.

Personally I wouldn't take the test, actually I refused it with this pregnancy. It was never originally intended as a diabetes screening. Also putting that much sugar into your body isn't healthy for you or your baby.

Here is a link for you. http://www.unhinderedliving.com/glucosetolerance.html
July 8th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmm well I know that there is more than one way that this test is done, but I have NEVER had to fast for it with any of my children.

Mama to -
DD15, DD14, DD12, DS10, DS5, DD2

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
July 9th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Tofu Bacon
Thanks for the link!
July 11th, 2007, 10:49 AM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
My MW does GD screenings by having you eat a pancake breakfast instead of drinking that stuff. It works the same.

</MARQUEE>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search