My OB appt today

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2007, 06:09 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, I saw my OB today. It was the typical yada yada stuff (FHT's, measuring fundal height, etc). All of that is good. Thank God. Oh, and I'm GBS (-) which is a bonus.

So background to my upcoming [long] rant:

(1)Anyhow, so a few weeks ago I asked my OB about her feelings about natural birth and she said that she was all for it (she was a doula before medical school). Anyhow, I noticed over the last couple of appts that she would make comments about breaking the bag of waters or inducing at 39 weeks for discomfort, etc. All of this had been in the back of my mind, making me a little uneasy.

(2)Well, last week Dh and I went to our private childbirth classes at the local birthing center. EVERY TIME we mentioned that we were delivering at this particular hospital people (i.e the doula teaching the class and both of the midwives) would get this really concerned look. The doula said that she had never had any good experience at the hospital as far as natural childbirth goes and mentioned how you really have to fight for a birth with minimal intervention (one client managed to have a vaginal birth after being bullied the whole time and all the nurses on shift kept coming into the room and saying "I heard you had a natural birth in a awestruck, hushed tone!!!! ). Then she gave me a state print-out of all of the hospitals in my city showing the rate of primary c-sections (i.e c-sections for first time moms), VBACs, etc. This hospital has one of the highest c-section rates in the city (state average is 25% and they had 36%!!!! The government print-out even had an asterisk by it!). It also had one of the lowest VBAC rates. The doula and one of the midwives also both talked about how they have labor tubs but they are almost never used). There was other stuff, but basically in the end they just basically let me know that it would probably be best to find another place to give birth, hospital or otherwise, if I want an unmedicated birth.

(3) Today at the end of my appt my OB starts asking if I'm still planning a natural birth. Of course, I say yes and she says "Okay. I figured that, but was just checking." Then goes on to talk about if I got to uncomfortable she could always do gentle induction methods (i.e. prostaglandin gel ) after 39 weeks. THEN, she starts talking about gentle induction at 41 weeks and 1 day. I pipe in at this point and say "ummmm...how about we make that 42 weeks." I can see her grit her teeth and smile through them and say "Okay, that's true. You're not past due until after 42 weeks. But know that you are putting yourself at risk for getting a c-section for a large baby if you wait! Plus, you'll have to have NST's weekly after 40 weeks." I kept going down my list of questions and each one had some answer that sounded good at first, but had some kind of caveat. It was just irritating. The kicker though was when she said that she wouldn't require continues EFM, but the hospital has a protocol for 30 minutes on and 30 minutes of "or something like that." WHAT???? You don't know what protocols they have? What other protocols do they have that you don't know about? Good Lord! I basically got the impression then that (1) her idea of natural birth is VAGINAL BIRTH , not unmedicated birth (not necessarily the same thing)and (2) she obviously isn't questioned much about natural birth. At the end of the appointment we're walking out and she says to my husband "I wonder what kind of questions she's going to have next visit!!"

Soooooo, all this to say that I talked to one of the midwives at the birthing center near my house this past Saturday and she said that as long as I'm low risk they'd have no problem taking me at the birth center or for a homebirth this late in the pregnancy (apparantly, it happens quite often secondary to the same kind of scenario). I told her that I'd let her know after today's appt. Dh and I both feel really uncomfortable with delivering at the hospital in question and we're wary of the OB (and even moreso of the OB's that she takes call with) so I'll likely be calling the birth center on Thursday or Friday to try to set up an appointment. They are out of network, so I would have to pay for the first $1000 before the insurance kicks in, but that's not that big of a deal to me (besides, most of the prenatal work is done and I would get my money that I prepaid back from the hospital). I just want the best chance possible to have an unmedicated birth and the birth center seems like the best option.

Anyhow, WHEW! That was a mouth-full! I'm praying that all works out. It's just kind of sad because I like my OB as a person AND I know her on a more personal level because I worked with her husband back when I was a lowly intern. LOL. I guess I can always send her a thank you card because she has been great otherwise. She and the hospital just don't seem to be selling what I'm trying to buy.

Anyhow, that's what's going on on my end. Just wanted to share my drama. Thanks for listening.

July 3rd, 2007, 06:28 PM
Ms.Michelle
36% is way too intimidating for me ~ sounds like they bully their patients.. I'm so glad you have already looked into a birthing centre and they seem on board. It sucks because I know my DH didn't realize how encouraging OB's are about medical interventions until we seen him for the first time.. From there, he felt bad about not cutting our losses and just paying for a midwife. I'm so glad you have that option!
July 3rd, 2007, 06:36 PM
itsymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to itsymama
Bummer , ya know I have found that "natural birth" does mean vaginal birth to a good bit of people , or just vaginal without an epi lol , they seem to forget about all of the other rugs and meddling that gos on so much . I hope you can get into the birthing center and get the birth your wanting . I am a lil afraid of the hospital "protocols" myself , thats why I am getting a tour of their L&D ward asap so I know what I have to deal with , I may get my choice of two hospitals so maybe I can at least pick the better or lesser evil lol , we don't have any birthing centers here or I would be looking into that myself ! Hope things work out for you !

Brandon Michael Born By Cesarean 8-3-04 ~ Hannah Elizabeth Born By Natural VBAC 1-14-08 ~ Surprise Baby Love Due 1-18-11

July 3rd, 2007, 07:21 PM
Quote:
36% is way too intimidating for me ~ sounds like they bully their patients.. I'm so glad you have already looked into a birthing centre and they seem on board. It sucks because I know my DH didn't realize how encouraging OB's are about medical interventions until we seen him for the first time.. From there, he felt bad about not cutting our losses and just paying for a midwife. I'm so glad you have that option![/b]
I know right!!!!!! 36%??? And these stats were for first time moms who were healthy. I'm a doc at a university hospital that actual has REAL high risk patients and even our c-section rates are always at or below the state average because we push for VBAC's and typically try to leave people alone for as long as possible. That's just craziness to have a rate of 36%. The doula at the birth center said that she had a patient at this particular hospital who was trying for a VBAC. She wanted to keep her own, more modest, gown on. The OB started yelling at her saying that she was going to cause her baby to die if she didn't change into the hospital gown and if she wanted to do her own thing she should have just had her baby on some curbside somewhere. WTH? You don't talk to patient's like that.

Anyhow, I just hope that everything works out. Funny, I was originally going to go to a birthing center, but didn't realize that there was this one near my house. The other ones were further away than the hospital AND the hospital was really slick at advertising. Oh well.

July 3rd, 2007, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Quote:
36% is way too intimidating for me ~ sounds like they bully their patients.. I'm so glad you have already looked into a birthing centre and they seem on board. It sucks because I know my DH didn't realize how encouraging OB's are about medical interventions until we seen him for the first time.. From there, he felt bad about not cutting our losses and just paying for a midwife. I'm so glad you have that option![/b]
She wanted to keep her own, more modest, gown on. The OB started yelling at her saying that she was going to cause her baby to die if she didn't change into the hospital gown
[/b]

Oh yes , well you you know it's very well documented that hospital gowns are much safer to deliver in and a study in 2005 showed that only 5% of births that were attempted in any other clothing ended in a live birth , so obviously you should always wear the right gown !

Brandon Michael Born By Cesarean 8-3-04 ~ Hannah Elizabeth Born By Natural VBAC 1-14-08 ~ Surprise Baby Love Due 1-18-11

July 4th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
She wanted to keep her own, more modest, gown on. The OB started yelling at her saying that she was going to cause her baby to die if she didn't change into the hospital gown
[/b]

Oh yes , well you you know it's very well documented that hospital gowns are much safer to deliver in and a study in 2005 showed that only 5% of births that were attempted in any other clothing ended in a live birth , so obviously you should always wear the right gown !
[/b]

July 4th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Veteran
Go for the home birth or at the very least the birth center, hon! The statistics are great for both, the same or better for baby's health and WAY down on interventions. I've had three hospital births, having to spit and fight the whole way to have them naturally. Why do that when you have enough other things to do? This one will be at home, thank the good lord, and I am so looking forward to the differences. You're right, they have stupid rules that have no medical basis, for example,
-many require you to wear the hospital gown
-Most will let you eat and drink NOTHING but ice chips while in labor. (It's LABOR for goodness sake, we need sustanence!)
-Most require 20-30 minutes of monitoring per hour. (which means you're stuck in that bed)
-All Drs are on a time schedule. I guarantee they will start inducing you if things don't move at the speed they want it to.
-None of the hospitals around here will let you in the tub after your water has broken. Idiots. Water birth is a big no,no to a Dr.
-Almost all require you to at least have a Hep-lock if not an IV and will leave it in up to 24 hours after the birth

I'm sure there are many more, but I'll end my rant for now

July 4th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
Quote:
I know right!!!!!! 36%??? And these stats were for first time moms who were healthy. I'm a doc at a university hospital that actual has REAL high risk patients and even our c-section rates are always at or below the state average because we push for VBAC's and typically try to leave people alone for as long as possible. That's just craziness to have a rate of 36%. The doula at the birth center said that she had a patient at this particular hospital who was trying for a VBAC. She wanted to keep her own, more modest, gown on. The OB started yelling at her saying that she was going to cause her baby to die if she didn't change into the hospital gown and if she wanted to do her own thing she should have just had her baby on some curbside somewhere. WTH? You don't talk to patient's like that.

Anyhow, I just hope that everything works out. Funny, I was originally going to go to a birthing center, but didn't realize that there was this one near my house. The other ones were further away than the hospital AND the hospital was really slick at advertising. Oh well.
[/b]
I'm so glad it's working out then having that birth centre so much closer.. It's so funny.. stratch that.. it's pretty sad that a high-risk hospital has a lower rate of c-sect than that other place. Oye.

I wish the yelling OB story shocked me.. but again, just really sad. I'm glad as a doc, you know what is appropriate.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]

[/b]
July 5th, 2007, 02:04 PM
UPDATED:

So I called the birth center today. The midwife was not surprised that I called. LOL. She faxed the release of records sheet over to me within 5 minutes and also scheduled me for an appointment next Wednesday for an overall check-up and so that I can talk more in depth with both her and the other midwife (both will be there during labor. ). She also said that if I happen to go into labor before our appointment to just call either one of them and head on over to the birthing center.

On another note, I feel so bad. I really like my OB as a person, her office staff is really nice and I know her husband. I almost feel like a traitor. HOWEVER, I also know that what is being sold isn't the product that I want to buy, if you kwim. I would kick myself non-stop if I had to fight with nurses during labor or got strong-armed into a c-section (or pit, or whatever else) while I am vulnerable. I truly think that she has my best interests in mind, she just has a different way to go about it than what I imagine. I think that I will send a nice letter/card and some cookies or flowers to show my appreciation of all of the care that I recieved. SIGH. Nothing is ever simple is it?

July 5th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Ms.Michelle

You know you're making the right deicision for your baby.. I hope that will help you in the long run.

July 5th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Tofu Bacon
You know what, any OB who truly cares about her patients will understand that sometimes you have to move on; you made your natural birth intentions clear but she had other plans.
July 5th, 2007, 06:44 PM
I'm glad the birthing center is being so good about this all ,hopefully you'll be able to meet with them and get comfy there before you go into labor !

July 6th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The birth centre sounds great ~*Goodluck*~ with it & I truly hope that you get the birth that you desire
Don't feel bad about your OB. She should understand seeings though it honestly sounds like, although a friend of yours, that she isn't really onboard with natural birth. You have to do what YOU feel is right for you & your baby. There would be no point in staying with her to make HER happy, & then not even getting a shot at the type of birth you are after.
In all seriousness I imagine that it would be easier to feel a little guilty for changing your care, than to stick with it & then have things not turn out how you wanted them.
~*Hugs*~

Mama to -
DD17, DD16, DD14, DS12, DS6, DD4, DD1
July 6th, 2007, 05:46 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
The birth centre sounds great ~*Goodluck*~ with it & I truly hope that you get the birth that you desire
Don't feel bad about your OB. She should understand seeings though it honestly sounds like, although a friend of yours, that she isn't really onboard with natural birth. You have to do what YOU feel is right for you & your baby. There would be no point in staying with her to make HER happy, & then not even getting a shot at the type of birth you are after.
In all seriousness I imagine that it would be easier to feel a little guilty for changing your care, than to stick with it & then have things not turn out how you wanted them.
~*Hugs*~[/b]
Exactly. I'm so glad the birthing center is going to take you!

July 7th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Quote:
~*Hugs*~[/b]
You hit the nail right on the head.

I'm waiting for them to send my records over to the birthing center. The OB office closes early on Fridays so they didn't get sent, so I'll have to follow up on Monday to get them sent there ASAP since my midwife appointment is Wednesday.

Anyhow, thanks for being understanding ladies. People at work think that I am so do darned crazy. LOL. One of my colleagues comes up to me and says "I heard this wierd rumor that you were planning to have a natural birth...without an epidural!" LMBO! People are so funny and sad at the same time.

Another says "you're changing care this late in pregnancy?!?" Why not? It's not like the OB will be there until the last minute anyhow.

Anyhow, smooches. You all are great!

July 11th, 2007, 03:14 AM
Regular
Out of curiosity, have you really tried sitting her down and telling her all of this? I know when I 1st started talking to my doctor, he was really not into the whole natural child birth thing. I am a very sick person, I have had cancer, 2 blood clots in my lung, etc and I met him as a referral from the ER. He is an -amazing- doctor. I have never had a better doctor, but when it came to child birth we disagreed in a lot of ways. (Btw, he is a ob/gyn and an internist, which is why i ended up with him. he is a very, very knowledgeable man) He wasnt opposed to natural childbirth but he just wasnt used to doing it honestly. His practice is in a really rich area of the state, where a lot of the women get c-sections for pure convenience, just because they can. After I told him, look I respect your opinion, you have been an amazing doctor, but when I have children I really want to have a natural childbirth and he was like, *the idea finally snapped in his head* He went and consulted a childbirth center at the hospital he delivers babies at. He did all of this research, (btw he had done tons of natural childbirth in his career when he lived in a different state) he went way, way out of his way to look into water birthing more and consult all of these specialists. I was totally suprised, he went from a doctor that just kinda wanted to keep the babies coming like a machine, to a doctor that was all giddy and excited that I stood up and wanted to take control of my body and my labor.

Anyways that was a mouthful. Just wanted to chime in and give you my experience. IMO its not worth losing a good doctor that knows you well, if you can. But of course, have to do whats best for you. And I TOTALLY agree with you, I would not feel comfortable delivering at that hospital. The hospital that my doctor works at has a 45!!!!!!!!!!!!!!% rate for c-sections for last year. i was like WTH, HOW?! WHY? lol I almost died when I saw that.

Good luck

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search