"Pregnancy for Dummies"

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 4th, 2007, 08:11 AM
JCat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In the last few days there's been a program on discovery health "Pregnancy for Dummies" It follows few moms through pregnancy and delivery. It supose to be an educational and it does okay with a lot of it but, to me at least, it was very pro intervention. All the ladies on the show had interventions that were not needed. All had epiduals and all had pitocin (because they we'ren't going fast enough). One of the ladies had a cs another had an episiotomy (so she wouldn't tear), and the third lady delivered her baby with forcepts. Even during the pregnancy their docs had them take every test even if there wasn't a reason for it (even an amniocyntisis was done). There was no mention that Obs are not the only way to go and it was only off handly mentioned that drugs were not needed for birth.

One of the most disturbing things was a statement made at the end of delivery by the narrator...it was something like "for doctors its stressful and hard work to be in charge of the entire delivery" I'm just sitting there watching this thinking how sad it is that these women and docs didn't release that the women who are birthing should be in charge of THEIR labors and the procedures that go on and not the docs.

Shows like this just make me so mad.

July 4th, 2007, 11:53 AM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
Im glad I didnt watch it! I would have been fuming! This just goes to show you, most women dont even KNOW they have options... Its so sad.

</div>
July 4th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Ms.Michelle

How sad.
July 4th, 2007, 03:14 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's ridiculous. This is why I don't watch anything on television involving childbirth.

July 5th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Tofu Bacon
Yeah, I can't watch any of those shows anymore; last month dh found me grumbling about the woman who was flat on her back and eating nothing but ice chips for 18 straight hours. Oh wait, that's pretty much every episode.
July 6th, 2007, 01:11 PM
jessjillmama's Avatar ***Staying Positive***
Yea I watched I think the 3rd tri one it was HORRIBLE!!
Ava Sept 14th 2007, Beaux Oct 3rd 2012
* Tubal reversal December 17th 2010

July 10th, 2007, 12:38 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I watched that one day when I was bored... OMG, made me sooo angry!!

July 11th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Regular
*sigh* It is so sad that we treat child birth as a disease! It makes me want to just sit down and cry. For thousands of years women have been giving birth at home, with family, midwives, etc but now all of a sudden in the past 40 years they have medicalized something so natural and wonderful.
July 11th, 2007, 05:11 PM
home4mygirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I totally agree! It's so ridiculous that women don't even know they have choices. They assume that the doctors know best. I'm addicted to the birthing shows on tv, but I can't figure out why. I'm always complaining about epidurals, pitocin (and NEVER any mention of the risks associated with them), and the fact that they have to lay flat on their backs and can't have anything to eat. It makes me furious, yet I can't stop watching them. It's like my own personal form of torture.... Maybe because there is one, every once in a while, who has a natural birth or a home birth.
I really just feel so sorry for these women. They are being led down the wrong path and they don't even know it.....

"We do not choose to be born. We do not choose our parents, or the country of our birth. We do not, most of us, choose to die; nor do we choose the time and conditions of our death. But within this realm of choicelessness, we do choose how we live." Joseph Epstein
July 12th, 2007, 07:08 AM
first_time_mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I'm addicted to the birthing shows on tv, but I can't figure out why. I'm always complaining about epidurals, pitocin (and NEVER any mention of the risks associated with them), and the fact that they have to lay flat on their backs and can't have anything to eat. It makes me furious, yet I can't stop watching them. It's like my own personal form of torture.... Maybe because there is one, every once in a while, who has a natural birth or a home birth.[/b]
i totally agree! i'm so agaisnt everything that happens on these shows yet i cant stop watching them! although there is one i really like and find it very realistic. its a British program called Home Grown Babies and its about home birth. its so empowering! the only medication offered is entenox and there are two midwives present. the way i'm having my birth.

Robyn, wife to Steven, mom to Jake (7th Aug 2007)
July 12th, 2007, 11:57 AM
CBMS
I think I watched that show, too! The lady actually REQUESTED the episiotomy even though it was like her third or fourth baby, right?

I decided I didn't like that show either...

July 12th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
It's like my own personal form of torture.... Maybe because there is one, every once in a while, who has a natural birth or a home birth.
I really just feel so sorry for these women. They are being led down the wrong path and they don't even know it.....[/b]
I hear ya! For me, it's kinda a comedy at times.. but only when Dh is around with his smart alec remarks!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search