From another forum not JM

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2007, 10:11 PM
itsymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to itsymama
Ok , this is from another forum I am on and is so sad , I really am not sure what to tell her cause my head is all stuffy still and it's just hard to really think right now ! She is 35 weeks right now , they saw babies position by U/S and I think thats all I know lol .

"I went to my Dr's appointment today and I was so nervous for some reason I didn't sleep at all last night..well I didn't expect this but he's transverse!
I didn't even get to speak to the Dr, it was the CFNP that told me, but she said I have two choices.. I can either have them try to turn him and she said it can be VERY painful, break his bones, make the umbilical cord choke him, or make my water break and have to have an emergency c section right then! Then she said I can schedule a c section for 38 weeks if he doesn't turn and I said ok, ill do that. When I got home I called my sister and she said no way don't let them take him that early because his lungs arent mature enough, ect.. so.. my question is should I insist that they wait until 40 weeks? Is there any good reason why they would need to take him early, or are they doing what is convienient for them, because personally i'd rather wait until 40 weeks because he could turn. I mean..what did people do back in the day when c sections weren't performed? Im really scared..I did NOT want a c section. I need a hug"

Brandon Michael Born By Cesarean 8-3-04 ~ Hannah Elizabeth Born By Natural VBAC 1-14-08 ~ Surprise Baby Love Due 1-18-11

July 13th, 2007, 07:12 AM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's ridiculous to even talk of a csection for a transverse baby until at least 37/38 weeks. Most doctors don't even check until at least 36 weeks. Poor woman.

July 13th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm well in all honesty after having my first child stay breech until 35 1/2 weeks, my others from then on in pretty much lived in the transverse position due to me having a bi-cornate uterus. But they ALWAYS ended up head down...
I am SO glad that with my lot C-section was never even mentioned & never ever needed. Even with the case of my second child who was posterior at the birth (3-4 of mine were posterior due to my uterine defect,) & turned on perineum. No panic, no section threats. Neither with the one that came out hand presentation (HELLO MAMA! )
UGH. No wonder women are having such a hard time being able to 'go into' labour these days without chemical induction. I don't think I'd be able to relax enough to do it either with all the interventions that could be possibly thrown at me

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3, DD November 2013
July 13th, 2007, 09:56 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I'd say no to the section. My fourth son was transverse and he turned at 40w 1d...the night before my scheduled section he was transverse...the morning of, he was head down. I still had the section though (I wasn't as informed then) because the nurses teamed up on me, used scare tactics and told me "your baby will die". Seriously!!! If I had known better I'd have been outta there!!!

There are other methods she can try at home for turning her baby head down too. Someone recently posted the spinningbabies.com site as being helpful.
#12 is on the way
July 13th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
I'd say no to the section. My fourth son was transverse and he turned at 40w 1d...the night before my scheduled section he was transverse...the morning of, he was head down. I still had the section though (I wasn't as informed then) because the nurses teamed up on me, used scare tactics and told me "your baby will die". Seriously!!! If I had known better I'd have been outta there!!!

There are other methods she can try at home for turning her baby head down too. Someone recently posted the spinningbabies.com site as being helpful.[/b]
Oh I believe it!

That is so sad.. Honestly, I think we all know baby can turn. So if the worst case senerio is the baby doesn't turn, why not at least wait until week 40 if the only choice (well, what's been layed out to her as a "choice") is c-section? It doesn't make sense to take the child out eariler.
July 13th, 2007, 12:05 PM
I'd rather be in Forks
Quote:
My fourth son was transverse and he turned at 40w 1d...the night before my scheduled section he was transverse...the morning of, he was head down.[/b]
Sorry ladies for butting in - I'm not a NB mama, but I had to say something here. This is exactly what happened to my sister. The night before her section, transverse, the morning of, head down. It was at 39wks5days. I would no way let them schedule me for a section at 38 weeks. Baby still has time to turn, definitely!

ETA: Sis had a very quick, very successful vaginal birth!

July 13th, 2007, 01:25 PM
itsymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to itsymama
Well I got up today feeling and thinking a lil better and got to posting to her , kinda long but tried to get it all in there lol , good thing is she was getting the same good advise from some others on there too ( it's not a natural birth forum so ya never know ) but after everyone tried to reassure her that things could very well work out ect ect ect she seemed to feel allot better and said she was going to tell them that she wanted to wait it out for right now which is good to hear . It was just so sad that they left her feeling like she had no hope of a vaginal birth and that she had really no choice but a section , I'm just really glad she was receptive to what some of us offered !

Brandon Michael Born By Cesarean 8-3-04 ~ Hannah Elizabeth Born By Natural VBAC 1-14-08 ~ Surprise Baby Love Due 1-18-11

July 13th, 2007, 01:49 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Thats good news!
#12 is on the way
July 13th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Ms.Michelle
That's a great update!
July 13th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Poor girl, why do they scare us like that??! My baby was breech until a week before I had her. I tried tons of positions to aide in her turning and it must have worked. I squatted, leaned on my birth ball, etc. I would have been furious if my Dr would have wanted to schedule a c-section at 38 weeks! My baby came at 38 weeks and flipped at 37. It is ridiculous to think a c-section has to be done and planned on so early in the game. Luckily my wonderful midwives weren't at all concerned. They said they were confident she would turn and she did. They said they see it all the time and they weren't worried. If you have an excellent midwife they are often trained to birth a baby in breech positions. They don't train OB's to deliver this way anymore and back in the day it made for a more difficult time but wasn't impossible. Ugh, anyway so sad for her to be told to have a section- glad you were there to give some good advice.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

July 13th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
If you have an excellent midwife they are often trained to birth a baby in breech positions. They don't train OB's to deliver this way anymore and back in the day it made for a more difficult time but wasn't impossible.[/b]
ITA!! You know, with all the training OB/GYN's have, why can't they do the breech position deliveries? (I know, it's insurance reasons but) If they are so highly trained, why can't they do something an experienced midwife can? It's just not logical. My doula, who is an retired nurse, has done more breech deliveries than my own OB/GYN. In my city, under the Calgary Health Region, the standard procedure for breech babies is c-section. How on earth does a woman in labour fight the health region, the doctor and the hospital considering her state? It's crazy!
July 13th, 2007, 05:57 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad to hear she was receptive and you were able to give her peace of mind. I hate it when I see someone take what their ob says as the word of god and get defensive when you try to give them alternate information.

July 13th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad to hear that she got some good advice/ideas

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3, DD November 2013
July 13th, 2007, 08:40 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
If you have an excellent midwife they are often trained to birth a baby in breech positions. They don't train OB's to deliver this way anymore and back in the day it made for a more difficult time but wasn't impossible.[/b]
ITA!! You know, with all the training OB/GYN's have, why can't they do the breech position deliveries? (I know, it's insurance reasons but) If they are so highly trained, why can't they do something an experienced midwife can? It's just not logical. My doula, who is an retired nurse, has done more breech deliveries than my own OB/GYN. In my city, under the Calgary Health Region, the standard procedure for breech babies is c-section. How on earth does a woman in labour fight the health region, the doctor and the hospital considering her state? It's crazy!
[/b]
ITA! Not only that but why can't OB's provide the information on how to naturally encourge a baby to turn. Even if it doesn't work, it's still an option to try before jumping into a surgical procedure.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

July 15th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Unfortunately, I found that the approach to the version was really illogical (IMO)...in my case, most Docs would ONLY attempt the version prior to 37 weeks using the reasoning that the baby is smaller and the likelihood of success is greater, however if the version results in breaking your water, you're dealing with an emergency c-section and a pre-term baby. After 37 weeks when the baby is to term, far fewer doctors will attempt the version because they feel that the potential risks (complications) outweight the benefits (successfully turning the babe) because their odds of success are slimmer.

There ARE numerous things that she can try....pelvic tilts, inversion, accupuncture (moxa), homeopathy (pulsatilla), chiropractic (Webster method), handstands/somersaults in water, music played between legs, talking to the baby, visualization, prayer, etc. I tried everything except the gymnastics in water (couldn't get to a pool) and more MANY times over and I still had a transverse breech baby when my water broke and I went into labor. My MW had to turn over my care to an OB and I needed an emergency c-s. I don't really think that anyone will vaginally deliver a transverse breech baby...it's different that other breech births because there is nothing engaged in the pelvis and therefore nothing to stop the cord from prolapsing with contractionss should it present before the baby. It is a potentially dangerous situation if she goes into labor, which is probably why they want to do the c-sect so early. As it happens, I want into labor naturally at 38 weeks 2 days. I had spoken with my MW about what to do if my water broke and baby was still breech (get on hands and knees with head to floor and bottom in the air and call 911 for an ambulance) but that was also because I have a history of very fast labors and of post-partum hemorrhage.

It's difficult to be natural-birth minded and have a body that isn't cooperating with that model. I think it is important for the woman to know that there are things that she can do to encourage her baby to turn, but also to reinforce the idea that IF baby does not turn and it is determined that a c-sect. is necessary, that she has not failed. There really IS a time and place for medical interventions. It was very difficult for me to adjust to the idea of a c-sect after having a drug-free waterbirth with DD#1 (and planning the same for DD#2) but sometimes life doesn't go the way you planned, and you need to be prepared to roll with Plan B.
July 16th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
It's difficult to be natural-birth minded and have a body that isn't cooperating with that model. I think it is important for the woman to know that there are things that she can do to encourage her baby to turn, but also to reinforce the idea that IF baby does not turn and it is determined that a c-sect. is necessary, that she has not failed. There really IS a time and place for medical interventions. It was very difficult for me to adjust to the idea of a c-sect after having a drug-free waterbirth with DD#1 (and planning the same for DD#2) but sometimes life doesn't go the way you planned, and you need to be prepared to roll with Plan B.[/b]
I totally agreed with your entire post. I would never blame a woman for having a c-section because of a breech baby because there are always pros and cons to every situtaion and until you're there, do you really know.

My MIL had two boys, my BIL then my DH. My BIL was born breech, butt first. My Dh was breech and in the last hour of delivery, rotated. The irony is, she didn't even have the choice of a c-section then and now, if my baby was breech, I would have no choice but a c-section. It's not that we blame the women ~ it's the system and lack of knowledge in the medical field. I 100% agree there are times and places for medical interventions. I'm glad we have ob/gyn's here to do them.. I just think we are limited in what we can and cannot do. Why can't an ob/gyn be open minded enough to try different techinques to rotate the baby PRIOR to a major surgery like a c-section? It's really not that much to ask but in the current system, it's unheard of.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search