i don't want to start a debate

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2007, 12:11 PM
ranestorm's Avatar Super Mommy
tell me...

why does it not make sense to me that drs are putting brand new babies on zantac for acid reflux?? it seems to me that everything related to bad digestion these days is diagnosed as either acid reflux or irritable bowel syndrome...

does anyone else feel this way?

http://www.brandianndesigns.etsy.com
</div>
July 16th, 2007, 02:20 PM
mylittlemonsters's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mylittlemonsters
I hear of more formula fed babies being put on Zantac or other meds for reflux than breastfed babies. I think it has something to do with formulas being to harsh for their bodies. This is not to say that breastfed babies aren't put on meds either. I think more can be done with breastfed babies, like mom changing her diet. I also think it has something to do with the fact that breastfed mothers are told that their milk isn't enough and that they need to put their baby on a vitamin, breastmilk is all a baby needs for the first 12 months of life.

I have had 1 child with reflux disease, once he was put on meds he did a lot better with a lot of things, but he was over a year when we had him diagnosed. The reflux diagnosis led us to an asthma diagnosis also, they tend to follow each other.

I do however think that some drs. are too quick to prescribe something instead of looking for a cause.
July 16th, 2007, 02:44 PM
itsymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to itsymama
It's the same as anything really , for example when ADD started to pop up everywhere all of the sudden and became a household name and any lil kid who started to be a lil too rowdy was diagnosed with it and put on meds , now anytime a baby spits up allot it's reflux put em on meds ! Now I'm not saying some cases aren't real but it's almost like a strange kind of new fad , kwim ! Just gets blown out of proportion sometimes I tink . JMO .

Brandon Michael Born By Cesarean 8-3-04 ~ Hannah Elizabeth Born By Natural VBAC 1-14-08 ~ Surprise Baby Love Due 1-18-11

July 17th, 2007, 10:26 AM
ranestorm's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
It's the same as anything really , for example when ADD started to pop up everywhere all of the sudden and became a household name and any lil kid who started to be a lil too rowdy was diagnosed with it and put on meds , now anytime a baby spits up allot it's reflux put em on meds ! Now I'm not saying some cases aren't real but it's almost like a strange kind of new fad , kwim ! Just gets blown out of proportion sometimes I tink . JMO .[/b]

i second that!!!

http://www.brandianndesigns.etsy.com
</div>
July 17th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
I don't really know anything about reflux in babies, I just had to comment on this quote
Quote:
I also think it has something to do with the fact that breastfed mothers are told that their milk isn't enough and that they need to put their baby on a vitamin[/b]
My kids' regular Ped went on vacation the day after Jenni was born, so we had to see someone else in the office...this stupid Dr. said "We put ALL babies who are breastfed on a Vitamin, because they lack Vitamin C & D" I looked at him like he had two heads. Breastfed babies are not lacking ANYTHING it is the formula fed babies who are. I took the Rx but threw it in the garbage on the way out. LOL!!
July 17th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
tell me...

why does it not make sense to me that drs are putting brand new babies on zantac for acid reflux?? it seems to me that everything related to bad digestion these days is diagnosed as either acid reflux or irritable bowel syndrome...

does anyone else feel this way?[/b]

Oh, do I EVER! I have celiac disease which is a bowel disorder that frequently does not get diagnosed or is misdiagnosed and sadly every doctor slaps IBS as the diagnosis when they haven't even checked for a real cause. Not to mention I got really sick after a bad infection last year. The infection was gone, but I had major problems still and it had NOTHING to do with acid reflux. I kept saying my bowels were all a mess. I had a colonoscopy, but it showed nothing yet they still wanted to give me acid reducing pills! It was so dumb. Doctor after doctor did this and wouldn't listen to me until finally I researched the problem on my own and found natural ways to help it and what I did worked and nothing they did ever did a darn thing. Anyway, big reason I have issues with docs.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

July 18th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Both of my babies so far were breastfed and they were both on Zantac for reflux. My DS was born weighing 8 lb 1 oz and weighed barely 10 pounds at his 2 month check-up because of his SEVERE projectile vomiting. He threw up every single feeding day after day and I seriously thought he was going to die. Zantac didn't completly "cure" him but he did finally start gaining weight. Oh, and I had several people tell me "Something is probably wrong with your breast milk. Don't feel bad, it happens sometimes." I had changed my diet to BREAD and WATER for a week, and still DS kept vomiting every feeding.

July 23rd, 2007, 03:10 PM
home4mygirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My daughter was put on some sort of reflux medication too because she spit up ALOT and eventually started making really awful faces when she ate (no matter what it was) because it hurt her throat to swallow. It helped immensely and I'm so glad the doc gave it to us. She was only on it for a short time, maybe two weeks. He's pretty open about asking lots of questions from the parents and taking what they say as truth. I'm grateful for that.
HOWEVER, he also told us that Trinity needed vitamins because she was exclusively breastfed, which I think is ridiculous. We never gave them to her. He also told me I was breastfeeding "wrong" because she wasn't eating long enough. Apparently he's never heard of a very active letdown reflex (which I definitely have), or a baby who eats quickly (which my daughter did). Unfortunately, I think most docs are a little uncomfortable with breastfeeding (sad as it is) because they don't know exactly how many ounces the baby is getting and breastfed babies eat more often than formula fed babies because it is digested so much more quickly. **Sigh** I just made sure Trinity was happy and healthy and trusted my own instincts. She's been sick about twice in two years, so needless to say she's a very healthy little girl. I plan on doing the same thing with this next one.

"We do not choose to be born. We do not choose our parents, or the country of our birth. We do not, most of us, choose to die; nor do we choose the time and conditions of our death. But within this realm of choicelessness, we do choose how we live." Joseph Epstein
July 23rd, 2007, 04:50 PM
ashlynsmom's Avatar Veteran
Maybr some doctors are quick to prescribe, but my DD had reflux for the first 6 months of her little life and we put her on Zantac and the difference was like night and day. We started her on it at 4 weeks. She was strictly breastfed, was given small, frequent feedings, burped often, and propped for a good 20 minutes after each feeding. She would still spit up--even while sleeping--and she was almost aspirate. It would jolt her awake and gasping for breath. She would be so uncomfortable, her poor throat red and irritated. I'm GLAD she was put on Zantac. She was so much more comfortable and content after feedings.

July 23rd, 2007, 08:58 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I am also glad dd was put on Zantac. Before she would spit up so much the front of my shirt was literally covered. She is also ebf. She spit up right after eating, so that it was still the bm. It hadn't even had time to curdle! She also cried because it hurt, then be hungry again because her little stomach was empty. I couldn't keep up! Now she only occasionally spits up. I am going to keep her on her prescription for one more bottle, then see how she is without it, but I can tell what a difference it made in her eating and mood.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search