Group B Strep positive

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2007, 11:44 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was just on the phone to my nurse...my blood sugar is great, my iron is a bit low but not bad, and I had blood in my urine at my last appt but there was no growth so it must have just been from irritation. But she said that I am group B strep positive and that will be important down the road. I have an appointment on Monday so they will talk to me about that then. What I do know: I will have to have an IV during labor. There is only like a 1-2% chance that the baby will get it from me, but of that 1-2% that do get it 15% actually die. So I *need* to have an IV during labor...well, never done that before. And I will probably have to get to the hospital really fast because my labors are short. Would only 1-2 hours of the antibiotics be enough I wonder? With Ry I was only at the hospital for less than 2 hours before he his was crowning and I went right in when labor started. Anyone BTDT? I don't know if this labor will be short as well, but if it is as short as Ry's I will only have 2 hours of antibiotics...if that...before he is on his way out. I will have to talk to my doc about that.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

July 19th, 2007, 03:20 PM
I will have to look into it and talk to my ob. I usually do everything natural, but I am not willing to risk my child's life to do it. I have to read more though because this is something I know little about. I am glad I have lots of time to study this.

July 19th, 2007, 03:34 PM
homebirth site

I have an online friend who is having a homebirth with GBS+ and she sent me this link. But for me I think it still indicates I should get the antibiotics...but I haven't read the whole thing yet.

I am trying to remember if they did a swab...I think they did. I need to find out if it showed up just in the swab or in my urine also. I KNOW my urine was sent to the lab. In the homebirth site given above it says if it is found in the urine as well the baby has much greater chance of contracting it. Also if the baby is earlier than 37 weeks...Ry was exactly 37 weeks. Hopefully this baby will cook a bit longer if it gives him a better chance to not have it.

I may fit into the higher risk category then and if so this is what it says about that:
Quote:
If a woman who falls into the high-risk categories for GBS, as described above, is given intravenous antibiotics ('IV antibiotics') when she is in labour, the chance of her baby contracting GBS disease is reduced by 60%, and the chance of the baby dying from GBS disease is reduced by 95%. Taking antibiotics before labour - whether oral or intravenous - does not seem to make much difference, which is why the emphasis is on IV antibiotics in labour. Note that having IV antibiotics does not mean that you will be on a drip thoughout your labour. Midwife Denise Ellis writes: "In most hospitals IV antibiotics are administered via a venflon and given as a bolus dose (administered directly into the vein via a venflon - which takes minutes) and means there is no drip."[/b]
From what this says it could only take minutes and not an actual drip. That would be sooo much better. If it showed up in my urine or if the baby comes by 37 weeks I think that even this crunchy site recommends the antibiotics. I am glad I have lots of time to research this and take garlic and echinacea to reduce the chances of it naturally. Hmmm....decisons, decisions.

July 19th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was tested in my last three pregnancies and thankfully was negative so I didn't have to make the decision. However, this time I am having a homebirth so I will elect not to be tested. I am allergic to penicillins and a host of other antibiotics so for me there is greater risk in getting IV antibiotics than in the Group B itself. Good luck with your decision, there is a lot of info out there like you said!

July 19th, 2007, 07:30 PM
mylittlemonsters's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mylittlemonsters
Here is this to ponder. Your baby could also catch strep b just by being in the hospital, not even from labor itself.

I would ask them to retest you in a couple of weeks. For now you can find some natural things to do to help fight the virus. You can put some tea tree oil (I think it was 4-5 drops of tto diluted with tablespoon of almond oil) on a tampon and insert it before bed. Some leave it in all night, others just till they get up to go potty. Also a garlic clove a night for 8 days is another option. You can also take Grape Seed extract-get the pill form 4 pills 3 x's a day. After you use any of these or a combination of some, have them test you again in a couple weeks.

Here is another thing to think about...just because you test positive now does not mean you will test positive at the time of labor, even without using any of the suggestions above. Also just because you test negative now, for those that have, does not mean that you will be negative at the time of labor.

The chances of your baby getting the virus is very slim. The main thing is to watch any baby, GBS+ mother or not, for signs of distress.

Good luck with your decision. I won't do an iv during labor, so I know what my answer would be. Also remember you can refuse any medical procedure you don't want, or think is unnecessary.
July 19th, 2007, 10:15 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I thought that a GBS test had to be done between 35-37 weeks to be the most accurate... it's odd that you would be tested for that this early!!

Good luck and I hope you have the labor you want.

July 20th, 2007, 07:10 AM
I wasn't specifically tested for it. I had blood in my urine so they were trying to see why. The only thing that came back was this. And if it came back in my urine I am considered highly colonized and the chances of my baby having it are much higher than average. I am going to talk with my obs on Monday about it. But if it is still in my urine in the later part of my pg there is no way I wouldn't take the 5 minute dose of medicine to save my babies life. In the quote from the homebirth website I quoted earlier you can see the stats and for me avoiding a non-drip IV, meds that take short time to administer would be crazy. But if I am not highly colonized than it is a whole different story. And I could consider not having it. I have lots of time to see what happens. I have obs and not midwives because I had a very incompetent cervix with my last pg and had to have an emergency cerclage placed at 13 weeks because I was already dilating. The midwives won't take me. But these are the obs that work with the midwives I used to have and they are all very good about natural childbirth from what I have seen and heard.

July 20th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Sharon, I just want to wish you good luck again with all of this. You will no doubt make the best decision for you and your baby. What time is your appointment on Monday?

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

July 20th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Sharon, I just want to wish you good luck again with all of this. You will no doubt make the best decision for you and your baby. What time is your appointment on Monday?[/b]
It is at 2 or 2:30...I forget which one. I think 2. I am confident in my ability to make a good, educated decision for this. And I am glad I have the time to research it plenty, pray about it, and talk to dh.

July 20th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Quote:
From the link you sent, heres a quote:

There is quite a bit of research which has found that, where women have taken antibiotics in labour because of GBS colonization, their babies have been more likely to suffer later from antibiotic-resistant bacterial infections, especially E. coli. [/b]
If I am not highly colonized I will really look into getting rid of it myself and not taking the antibiotics if I can. Backlash from any antibiotics is that you can get sick...kills off all the good bacteria too. But if I am highly colonized he has a very high chance of getting it from me--most babies have a very low chance, but if their mother is highly colonized the chances are extremely raised. I am anxious to find out if it was in my urine--if it was I am highly colonized. I plan no matter if I am highly colonized or not to do what I can to get rid of it myself.

July 20th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Here is this to ponder. Your baby could also catch strep b just by being in the hospital, not even from labor itself.

I would ask them to retest you in a couple of weeks. For now you can find some natural things to do to help fight the virus. You can put some tea tree oil (I think it was 4-5 drops of tto diluted with tablespoon of almond oil) on a tampon and insert it before bed. Some leave it in all night, others just till they get up to go potty. Also a garlic clove a night for 8 days is another option. You can also take Grape Seed extract-get the pill form 4 pills 3 x's a day. After you use any of these or a combination of some, have them test you again in a couple weeks.

Here is another thing to think about...just because you test positive now does not mean you will test positive at the time of labor, even without using any of the suggestions above. Also just because you test negative now, for those that have, does not mean that you will be negative at the time of labor.

The chances of your baby getting the virus is very slim. The main thing is to watch any baby, GBS+ mother or not, for signs of distress.

Good luck with your decision. I won't do an iv during labor, so I know what my answer would be. Also remember you can refuse any medical procedure you don't want, or think is unnecessary.[/b]
I do know that babies can get late-onset (after 7 days from birth) GBS from the hospital--that is not as serious as early-onset (from the mother) GBS.

I am definitely going to look into natural ways to treat it!!! Thank you for the suggestions!

The chances of the baby getting GBS are very low in general...only 1-2%. But if it was in my urine than it really is a whole different story. Even the midwife sites and homebirth sites I have read say that when GBS is in the urine is a completely different story and much more serious. Baby has much greater chance of contracting it.

I hope I am not highly colonized!

July 20th, 2007, 10:21 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
BTW - colonization today doesnt mean you will be colonized at time of delivery much less tomorrow.

Group B strep is a concern when risk factors are present which are:
Prologned rupture of membranes
Prolonged pushing stage
Artificial rupture of membranes
Vaginal checks after rupture of membranes

Avoid those things which put you at risk, and the chances of baby contracting are extermely low even for a colonized mother.

Also - even if you tested negative, you could be positive at delivery. The worst cases of gbs are in mothers who were tested, tested negative, and precuations AFTER brith werent taken. Often times, they dont really watch.

My MW doesnt test, and instead treats all women as if she were postiive, since your testing status means nothing (and is only considered to be "acceptable" by ACOG when tested after 37 weeks btw). If you present risk facctors (listed above) she uses hybicleanse which is shown to be the only thing that actually kills GBS in the birth canal & vaginal area unlike antibiotics. Antibiotics doesnt prevent transmission - it only gets antib's to the baby through you during the labor process. Still, babies will need additional antib's after birth should they show signs.

And of course - early and unnecessary introduction to antib's causes a plethora of other problems. I wouldnt use antib's as a preventative measure unelss is actually PREVETNED transmission, which it does not do. I would treat for symptoms, any signs, and treat for risk factors as listed above, and your risks of complications is no higher, yet your chances of other risks goes way down.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
July 21st, 2007, 07:57 AM
Thank you for your replies. I started a new thread that actually addresses highly colonized GBS that shows up in urine...not average GBS. Very different stats. HC GBS is much more serious. All this info is for average GBS, which I am hoping is all I have.

July 24th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was GBS positive with my 2 yr old daughter. I had a few doses of IV meds before she was born. She was just fine and had no problems from it. She has only been sick a couple of times(and the one time she required meds she was not resistant to them). I've never had a yeast infection in my life, nor do I have UTI's. I'm sure it's possible to have side effects, as with any medication, but I think it's something that I didn't want to risk with my daughter. I just wanted to offer my experience to you. Good luck with everything.

July 28th, 2007, 08:13 AM
chele11's Avatar RIC
Send a message via Yahoo to chele11
Quote:
Firstly, you don't need an IV (Penicillin) at all. The issue only arises if your water breaks and theres no contractions for days. Secondly, they say that it needs 4 hours to work, 2 hours is probably not sufficient. Thirdly, the IV is no guarantee of baby not getting strep - in fact, chances of baby getting E-coli increases which is worse. Fourth, all you really need is a vaginal cream to kill the strep, my midwife told me that - and that is only if water breaks and no contractions. And strep tends to go in and out of our bodies - if its there at 36 weeks, its not necessary it'll be there at birth.

The IV is likely to destroy the good bacteria in your body and you'll be left with frequent yeast and UTIs the rest of your life. I would not let them put in that IV in me for anything in the world.[/b]
I don't agree, but that's JMO.
I was not even tested for GroupB with DD, she was born with it, and had to remain in the hospital on antibiotics for a full week after birth. Bc of a positive StrepB birth, when I was given an IV Penicillian with DS and he was not born with StrepB.
As for carrying it/not carrying it....I NEVER EVER EVER EVER get Strep Throat. Granted, it's not the same strain as GroupB Strep, but I DO pass strep to those around me....even tho I never get it.
As for getting frequent UTI's and Yeast Infections.... knock on wood.... I have not had a yeast infection since I was pregnant with DD. I have NEVER had a UTI, even tho my urine has been + w/protein throughout each of my pregnancies.
I agree with Sharon-I'd rather be safe....the Penicillian isn't dripping the entire time you're in labor....mine was in for about an hour maybe?
July 28th, 2007, 08:59 AM
amberjolie's Avatar Super Mommy
I agree to ask for a test further along, like 37 weeks or so. You may find that you are no longer positive then.

Also, regarding your concern for your short labours...I was group B strep positive for my son, and they didn't have the 4 hours it's supposed to take to work properly (you need two doses, 4 hours apart to work) - my labour with him was only a couple of hours. So all they had to do was keep us in the hospital for the night (I would've preferred going home right away 'cause I had a midwife), and just keep an eye on things.

Don't forget, a lot of women may not know they are group B strep positive at the time of delivery. So it's just important to keep an eye on everything so that if there's anything concerning, like a fever in the mom or baby, or whatever else might indicate an infection, that it is addressed right away.

I had the same questions as you with my third, because I figured it would be another short labour. Turns out, I was negative this time around, but I had decided to at least start the IV if I was positive, because in case the labour was longer for whatever reason ('cause sometimes you never know), he'd have the dosage in.

July 29th, 2007, 03:19 PM
chele11's Avatar RIC
Send a message via Yahoo to chele11
[quote]
I agree to ask for a test further along, like 37 weeks or so. You may find that you are no longer positive then.

Also, regarding your concern for your short labours...I was group B strep positive for my son, and they didn't have the 4 hours it's supposed to take to work properly (you need two doses, 4 hours apart to work)

Maybe there are different kinds of Penicillian or dosages, bc I only had one dose-at the beginning of labor and it may have been 2 hours of iv antibiotics, but I'm fairly certain it was only an hour. I never got a 2nd dose and DS was born just fine (well, in regards to StrepB anyway!!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search