I'm not a fan of medical intervention...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2007, 11:12 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As I said in my introduction (see my other post) I'm in my first pg looking for a safe, drug-free birth. I'm not a fan of medical interventions in most cases and definitely not in childbirth. I have trouble believing that a 27.6% c-section rate (as listed on Babycenter) is necessary. I also have trouble believing that women *can't* go through labor without an epidural. So I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping some of you will know the answer to....

1.) I'll be giving birth with a very supportive midwife but in a hospital. I'm concerned about the amount of power some of the hospital staff may have over my decisions. Even though I will make it VERY clear what I want, when I am admitted to the hospital and sign the release forms necessary to receive care, am I signing my authority away also? How much right do they have to override me? For example, if my labor is slow but not in danger, do they have the right to force an intervention upon me because I'm not *progressing*? This question really has me worried and I want to be prepared before being admitted while in labor!

2.) I also would like to know your opinions on the vaccinations they give the baby after birth. I haven't done a lot of research yet, but I would like to know what they are, what they are for, and if they are necessary. I believe that a lot of children are over-vaccinated today and while I want mine to be safe, I don't want them to have everything that's on the market just because the pediatrician recommends it!

Thanks in advance ladies if you have any advice for me! I really appreciate it!

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

July 19th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Veteran
The hospital cannot "make" you do anything, they can only make reccomendations and suggestions, ultimately though the decision is up to you or your husband if you become unable to make the decisions for you. They may present it to you as hospital policy and that they have to do whatever, but really you are the one in control, most people just don't fully understand this. Just remember key questions, Is my baby ok? What are my options? Am I ok? Give me a minute to discuss with my husband, etc. That way you do not feel rushed into making any decisions you will later only regret. Go in well informed and educated (read, read, read!) and you should do just fine. Remember though occasionaly things do come up and you may have to concede on things you may not have wanted, but it's all about the safety of the baby and you. As for vaccinations, with my daughter I prolonged the vaccinations as long as I could (18 months) and it was just fine and she was fine. It was really only to satisfy my husband that we got them at all. Also for the ones they give immediately after birth, like Vitamin K, etc., it depends on what state you live in what the law is, some states require they be given within 24 hours, others a couple of days, but put it off as long as you can and go from there. Good luck.

July 19th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Thanks, Erinsmom! Both of your answers made me feel better!

Anyone else?

Mom to:

July 19th, 2007, 02:08 PM
itsymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to itsymama
I have a few links I'll post for you , see I am a lil worried about this too because I am going for a natural VBAC and have a feeling that I may have to fight it out for some things but at the same time I know it's my right to get the last word in my care . Basically the only way they can MAKE you do something would be for them to get a court order but short of that nope , they can't make you do anything .

Constitutional Rights

Patients bill of rights

ICAN info , but good info for anyone not attempting a VBAC also

Long but good read

these links will give you good info and tips on your rights , I would suggest you write up a birth plan clearly stating what you do and don't wan to happen during your labor and have your midwife/OB agree to and sign it , then print out what you feel necessary from these links and have them on hand to back you up should you need them . I admit I am going all out where others may not need to but i am going for something that is not very well liked in the medical community right now , you shouldn't have much of a fight at all really , just make your wishes known and make sure your midwife/OB support your wishes and will work with you and that you have other support with you as well , be it your family and or a doula . You should be fine though .

Brandon Michael Born By Cesarean 8-3-04 ~ Hannah Elizabeth Born By Natural VBAC 1-14-08 ~ Surprise Baby Love Due 1-18-11

July 19th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
I'm concerned about the amount of power some of the hospital staff may have over my decisions. Even though I will make it VERY clear what I want, when I am admitted to the hospital and sign the release forms necessary to receive care, am I signing my authority away also? How much right do they have to override me? For example, if my labor is slow but not in danger, do they have the right to force an intervention upon me because I'm not *progressing*? This question really has me worried and I want to be prepared before being admitted while in labor![/b]
Remember that noone can force you into anything. Your biggest alley will have to be your DH. (I also will use a doula but having an aweome midwife, will do you wonders!) By absolutely knowing that, you're in charge. I kid you not, you're going to have moments of doubts from here on down but you must believe in yourself. You can do this!
July 19th, 2007, 04:32 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the other ladies. I just wanted to add that you REALLY need to make sure that your husband/SO/doula pays close attention to what is going on. It's not uncommon for people to come in and "accidently" break the bag of waters or slip a pill of cytotec in while checking your cervix (yes, crazy stuff like this happens). They have to really be your guardian because there will be times when you won't be able to it yourself (I'd imagine that it'd be mighty difficult to argue with someone at the height of a contraction, kwim?). Honestly though, the best solution is to be in an environment where you won't HAVE to fight to begin with. Of course, this isn't always possible.

As far as vaccinations, most of that stuff is not really necessary, especially right after birth. For instance, it's highly unlikely that your NEWBORN is going to go out and contract Hepatitis B (unless you have it). Now, when they get to be teenagers that's a different story (it can be spread by contaminated needles AND sex). That's just one example. It really comes down to personal beliefs.

HTH.

July 19th, 2007, 06:51 PM
mylittlemonsters's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mylittlemonsters
Quote:
I am only planning to get my son vaccinated for chicken pox, only because I've seen folks in India whose faces have been scarred by the pox marks.[/b]
I wanted to comment on this-the chicken pox vaccine is not a lifelong immunity like contracting the disease itself. Also getting the disease as an adult is more likely to cause scarring and other problems than getting it as a child.
Also they are finding out that a booster is needed for the chicken pox vaccine. Another thing, your child may still get chicken pox even with the vaccine.

I just wanted you to be aware of these things in case you weren't.
July 19th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Quote:
As I said in my introduction (see my other post) I'm in my first pg looking for a safe, drug-free birth. I'm not a fan of medical interventions in most cases and definitely not in childbirth. I have trouble believing that a 27.6% c-section rate (as listed on Babycenter) is necessary. I also have trouble believing that women *can't* go through labor without an epidural. So I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping some of you will know the answer to....

1.) I'll be giving birth with a very supportive midwife but in a hospital. I'm concerned about the amount of power some of the hospital staff may have over my decisions. Even though I will make it VERY clear what I want, when I am admitted to the hospital and sign the release forms necessary to receive care, am I signing my authority away also? How much right do they have to override me? For example, if my labor is slow but not in danger, do they have the right to force an intervention upon me because I'm not *progressing*? This question really has me worried and I want to be prepared before being admitted while in labor!

2.) I also would like to know your opinions on the vaccinations they give the baby after birth. I haven't done a lot of research yet, but I would like to know what they are, what they are for, and if they are necessary. I believe that a lot of children are over-vaccinated today and while I want mine to be safe, I don't want them to have everything that's on the market just because the pediatrician recommends it!

Thanks in advance ladies if you have any advice for me! I really appreciate it![/b]
Ok I have read all the responses and these ladies are right!! You do not have to agree to anything, they can not force you into anything.
The best advice I can give you about not being talked into intervention is to 1- have a well thought out birth plan in writing (take lots of copies cause they will lose your original one) 2- wait to go to the hospital till you can't wait any longer. 3- post signs on the door saying NATURAL BIRTH do NOT offer drugs or interventions (again take lots of copies cause they will get taken down-accidently of course.) 4- READ, RESEARCH and ASK QUESTIONS!!

Ok now for the vaccinations-NO state can force them on your or your child. Yes they may have laws but you also have the constitution to back you. Again do your research and know the facts. Also find out your state laws and use them to your benefit. www.909shot.com has some info on states there. If you have a philosophical exemption you are home free. If you have religious then all you do is claim religious exemption, but offer them NO details-that legally can't ask you, but some will. If your state has medical only, there are still ways around it, it is just more difficult.

Make sure you dh is on your side and will back your decisions. Tell him that they will use scare tactics and that is all they are, things to scare you into doing it their way.
Good luck and as someone else said don't doubt yourself!
July 20th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Quote:
I wanted to comment on this-the chicken pox vaccine is not a lifelong immunity like contracting the disease itself. Also getting the disease as an adult is more likely to cause scarring and other problems than getting it as a child.
Also they are finding out that a booster is needed for the chicken pox vaccine. Another thing, your child may still get chicken pox even with the vaccine.

I just wanted you to be aware of these things in case you weren't.[/b]

I'm really of the opinion that my kids should be exposed to chicken pox during their toddler years...I'd much rather they have them when it's not dangerous than as an adult when they could die from it!

(Subversive, aren't I )

Mom to:

July 20th, 2007, 12:05 PM
I'm not sure Anita. I had them twice (yeah, count it...twice!) when I was a little one, so I've never thought about getting them as an adult. I would definitely talk to your doctor about the risk (lots of adults have them and come through just fine but the sickness is usually way more severe the older you are), and if your kiddos get them, stay the heck away!!

Mom to:

July 28th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Thats good to know about chicken pox. However, I never got chicken pox as a child - despite all my friends having had it as well as my brother and sister. I was not vaccinated for anything except small pox as a child (this was India). Now I live in fear of getting it. I had to get a vaccine 5 years ago when I applied for my green card so I am not sure how immune I am. I am also worried I'll get it from my baby and that would have disastrous effect on me. What would you recommend I do here?[/b]
Here is my recommendation. I also have never had chicken pox. My oldest daughter had it and I was pregnant with #2, I was a bit worried I would catch it then. My midwife sent me to have blood drawn to see if I had an immunity to chicken pox, I do. If I were you I would ask your family dr. about having a blood sample taken to see if you have the antibodies for chicken pox.
As for you not getting it during childhood, you might have had a few spots but never broke out really bad, that may have been enough for your body to produce the immunities it needed.

I would get a blood test if you are worried and then seriously reconsider getting the vax for your children. Good luck
July 28th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Veteran
A midwife I know here told me some stories about how she was treated when she had her last child int he hospital. She declined having an IV or Hep-lock, she wanted no interventions or internal exams. She refused to be on the monitor constantly, etc. As a result the hospital staff treated her very badly. She said they wouldn't even bringher a blanket after the delivery, they ignored her, and acted like she was being a bad mom because of the decisions she was making, Then, when she checked herself out at 4 hours post they sent in social workers to discuss the possible repercusions of that decision. (The hospital requires a 2 night stay after a birth) This woman had an easy, normal delivery and a healthy baby, but you would think she was just terrible by their standards.

I have also heard the stories of them "accidentally" breaking your water and of drugs getting put into IV's without permission. Heck, when I had my second I was very clear I wanted no drugs, and she was coming at me with a needle of Staydol. I had to back her off quickly!

If you want no interventions in a hospital you absolutely have to pay attention and be willing to fight for it. You have to be very clear about your wishes to everyone that comes in the room. And, you have to be prepared that they will likely try at some point to "speed things up" somehow or do something you don't want. A supporitive midwife can be a godsend. With my third I had a midwife in the hospital but the problem was most of my labor was in the middle of the night. She arrived in the morning about an hour and a half before the baby was born. She helped a lot, getting me off the monitors, letting me move around, etc., but the hospital staff was who I had to fight waith all night long. I'm really looking forward to my homebirth this time!

Also, I know there is a federal law that says a when a woman enters the hospital in active labor she must be treated according to her wishes until the baby is born. It was posted somewhere, I'll find it. Hospital policy doesn't really matter. You can do what you wish!

On vaccines, the only one they give them before they leave the hospital in Hep B. You can decline them if you wish, along with the Vit K and eye drops. Read up on it and make your decision. They'll make you sign somethng, of course.

I agree with someone else, read, read, read! They'll hate you cause they prefer easy people who just do what they're told, but I want what's best for me and the baby, not whatever makes their job easier!

July 28th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Veteran
Here's the post that talks about that law. It also has some links to answer your questions about your legal rights!

http://www.justmommies.com/boards/in......t&p=3853962

July 29th, 2007, 03:12 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you so much for posting these questions, I am going to have to deal with the same thing. I think I'll be bookmarking this thread for later when I'm doing more research! I am not really thrilled about possibly having to fight for my rights in a hospital, but my DH insists on a hospital birth so...

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
July 29th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Veteran
Hi!
Beth's post was awesome! I agree about reading and being informed.
But I wanted to put in my two cents
I know you need to know those things, and you need to be prepared! Discussing this with your midwife and making sure she understands and agrees is really important.
~~ but ~~
I also want you to not worry about what bad will happen, be informed, but also please please try to enjoy every single moment! Having a natural childbirth is the most empowering and wonderful thing you will ever accomplish ( in my opinion ) While you need to be informed, of course, please don't let it stress you out and impede you having the wonderful experience that you deserve and want!
You will get there so late, because you will labor at home <wink> You won't have time to fight or worry about these things, just concentrate on the miracle and have someone else fight your battles if need be ( a strong coach/doula/DH ) Your job is hard enough without fighting the staff!
You will be AWESOME!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search