Highly Colonized GBS (which shows up in urine)

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2007, 06:55 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Changing my question: Do any of you have experience with HIGHLY colonized GBS. The kind which actually shows up in urine. It is a very different story, stats, and all that than average colonized GBS. It is like comparing a cold and full blown influenza kind of thing (but caused by the same thing...but one is much more acute)....highly colonized is much more serious, baby is much more likely to actually get the disease. And many crunchy websites that do not recommended antib for average GBS DO recommend it (preferably 2 doses). It is viewed quite differently than average GBS which has a very small % of transmission and even smaller % of babies that develop the disease.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

July 22nd, 2007, 08:39 AM
CTK3989's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was GBS positive with my pregnancy and my OB at the time found it in my urine at 12 weeks. I had AntiB's through IV once I was admitted into the hospital. I had it all throughout labor and I believe they gave me 2 doses. I am unsure though. It wasn't that bad(it burned going in) but I wish I didn't have to have it at all. I am sure you will be okay. As long as you have the AntiB's when your water breaks is all that matters. I had AntiB's as soon as I got to the hospital because my water had already broken at home and I was less than 37 weeks. Good luck hon!

July 22nd, 2007, 09:58 AM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
You should try all the preventative things and then retest.

This has good options for you. http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gbsAlt.html These will at least reduce the colonization. Also, you can bathe often and always wipe front to back. I believe the gbs can show in your urine by contamination (the urine washes the bacteria from your skin into the test cup) so it is possible that your concentration isn't as high as you think.

Were you trying to avoid antibiotics or what was your goal that you think this highly colonized gbs is preventing you from doing?

</MARQUEE>
July 22nd, 2007, 02:03 PM
Veteran
I would definitely try all the natural methods to reduce it and then retest. Do a dearch on Group B and tak to a midwife and you'll find lots of options. If you can at least reduce the colonization, then hey, it's a step.

Some of them are:
Taking alot of Acidophilous
Using a clove of garlic as a vaginal suppository
Tea tree oil
and many, many others.

Talk to a midwife and see what she has had success with.

They can also do a Hybicleanse (sp?) douche when you are in labor to prevent transmission. If you can get back to the normal colonization than maybe that will be enough and you won't have to do the antibiotics, though if you have an OB they prettymuch all push to do it. Read up, there are issues with doing the antibiotics as well, and I know my OB didn't tell me that when I was PG with my first.
Beth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search