How many of you have had an epi

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2007, 01:40 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to kolbeyraglin
Hi. I am new here. Just wondering how many of you have had an epi with one child(or more) then decided to try it naturally?

I never thought I would be interested in trying, but after 3 epidurals and this being my last baby, I would LOVE to have an all natural birth.

I know it sounds strange, but my last labor was very short and I got the epi before any real contractions began. It almost feels like I didn't get to experience it like I wanted to, because I didn't feel anything. Do I sound crazy? lol

My experiances werent horrible or anything, I would just love to know that I did it. I think it would be a huge accomplishment.

Anyone I tell that I want to try it naturally says "Oh, you can't do it" or "Why would you want to torture yourself." Then I get to thinking...theyre right, I can't do this.

Can anyone relate?

TIA
Kolbey

Micah 2001

Zachariah 2002

Amaya 2005

Lucas Gabriel due Nov 3rd 2007

[<div id="RTEContent"></div>]
July 22nd, 2007, 03:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I can totally relate! I had my first with an epi and I wouldn't really say it was BAD per say, but there were effects from it that were unwanted. One being that my Dh didn't get to be very involved with the process. I went on with my second to have a natural birth. I had people tell me I was nuts especially if I "caved" once then I would again. But the difference was after reading so much and studying natural childbirth I realized that the big reason many women get it is because of the lack of education they are given- as are the doctors. That if they were just given the information needed, not only for the risks of the procedures, but also the natural ways to handle contractions, few women would opt for pain meds. It was such a great experience and Dh and I after it was done said that the first birth and the second birth hardly compare. We love both girls the same, but the elation and joy and closeness that we had with the second birth was so wonderful it chokes me up. You never realize that going with nature and your body can bring you such an emotional experience. That the "pain" isn't some "curse" put on women, but a blessing. It brings you so close to the father and the baby at the same time. Amazing experience and having had experienced both it really is wonderful.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

July 22nd, 2007, 07:56 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I had an epi with my first baby, I made it all the way to 8cm naturally and they wore me down and talked me into the epi.
It stopped my labor for five hours and I couldn't feel anything from my waist down to even try to push, my son had to be vacuum extracted.
After that I never tried the epi again. I went on to have two natural hospital births, I had to have one c/section, and then I had two beautiful homebirths and am planning my third!!

So that said, you absolutely can do it, and its not "torturing" yourself. Natural birth is a very empowering and wonderful experience. There are some fabulous natural birthing books you can read too...I think their is a sticky of recommended reading in this forum.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
July 22nd, 2007, 09:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had an epi with my first birth, and went natural the second time around, and will go natural again for any future births, that's how much I liked it
July 22nd, 2007, 10:57 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
never had an epi... scared the crap out of me imagining them sticking a huge needle into my spine!

Although I will admit that during my second birth I had several serious conversations with myself asking why I was doing it the second birth was way intense and I did think (for a couple contractions) about going to the hospital and getting one. But I'm glad I didn't

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 23rd, 2007, 07:49 AM
Veteran
I had one with my first...I wasn't very educated about birth in general and didn't know I was in transition so I was talked into one (mind you I went from 4 and 1/2 cm to 10 in about 20 mins.) and I had my baby litterally 10 mins after the epi was inserted, so it didn't have time to work. With my second I was very well informed and read tons of books because I wanted a better experience and went completely natural. The difference was night and day. I will always go natural now.

July 28th, 2007, 09:52 AM
mylittlemonsters's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mylittlemonsters
I had an epi with my first. I was not educated about childbirth and was always told 'drugs are good in childbirth' so I believed it and that is what I did. Well my daughter had a reaction to the epidural and spend 6 days in the nicu. I then researched and researched and found out why that happened and decided at that point that I would never have another epi during childbirth.
With my second child I had a shot in my hand, nubain, that made me really tired in between contractions but didn't do much for the pain. My son showed signs of the drugs in his system and was not very alert after birth. I again researched and decided I wouldn't do that again.
I have since had 2 births completely drug free and these have been by far the best births yet. I have learned that when I get to the point of wanting drugs that I don't have far to go.

Yes my reasons started out because my babies didn't do so well after I had some sort of pain relief, but the more I researched it, the more I realized that natural was better for myself and my baby.

Make sure you read a lot, make sure you get your dh on board to support you. Support is one of the most important things you can have during labor. If my dh didn't support my decision to go natural I don't know if I would have with my 3rd, your mind changes while you are in labor and you can't always think clearly.

Good luck and you can do this.
July 28th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to AniyahsMommy
i had my first child naturally then went on the have my twins wit and epi but i mean HELLO! twins.. lol HAD TO DO IT...
July 28th, 2007, 10:18 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had an epi with my first - not a horrible experience - probably pretty run of the mill.

I decided on a natural birth with my second (which I knew would be my last as well).

I loved it - not to say it wasnt hard. But it is possible. I just knew that if other people could do it, I could too & was on a mission to prove to myself & everyone else that i COULD do it. Not to say that there werent times where I thought "Holy geez, what on EARTH have I gotten myself into?!" but its pretty simple - if you dont ask for the drugs - youll do it naturally. There is no "cant" do it naturally.

Its your 4th - you have quick labors even with an epidural, youll probably do betterthan you imagine. Prepare yourself, of course - you wouldnt want to be blindfolded & surprised with a tattoo needle so dont go into it blind with no coping mechanism.

You can do this!!! What on earth would stop you!?

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
July 29th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to kolbeyraglin
Quote:
I had an epi with my first - not a horrible experience - probably pretty run of the mill.

I decided on a natural birth with my second (which I knew would be my last as well).

I loved it - not to say it wasnt hard. But it is possible. I just knew that if other people could do it, I could too & was on a mission to prove to myself & everyone else that i COULD do it. Not to say that there werent times where I thought "Holy geez, what on EARTH have I gotten myself into?!" but its pretty simple - if you dont ask for the drugs - youll do it naturally. There is no "cant" do it naturally.

Its your 4th - you have quick labors even with an epidural, youll probably do betterthan you imagine. Prepare yourself, of course - you wouldnt want to be blindfolded & surprised with a tattoo needle so dont go into it blind with no coping mechanism.

You can do this!!! What on earth would stop you!?

Lala...[/b]

Thankyou all very much!

I am scared of the pain. I do know what contractions feel like. With my first two, i did have roughly 6 or 7 hours of hard labor with out an epi because my doc wouldn't allow me one till I reached 4 cm. I think I almost died! lol Of course I had no education on labor and delivery and no one told me to.

I have started really reading all of your posts on this board. And LaLa, that is one of the reasons I want to so bad is to say "See, I told you I COULD do it!!" If its possible for even one person on earth to do this, I can do it too.

I think I need to get this "Well, the epidural is here if I need it" out of my head, cuz then I wont do it. I think I need to tell myself that I AM going to do it. NO epi. Man, this is scary!!

Thanks to all of you who responded. It is much appreciated!

Micah 2001

Zachariah 2002

Amaya 2005

Lucas Gabriel due Nov 3rd 2007

[<div id="RTEContent"></div>]
July 29th, 2007, 12:04 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think youre on the right track - if you think "well when it gets tough - the epi is always there" then its an easy out for your mind. Relaxing is key - and so is focusing. Finding your rhythm can be difficult but once you do, youre set. Its all about finding what works for you.

Some great books are "Natural Childbirth the bradley way" (a great book regardless of wether you take the bradley method), and Birthing From Within.

Its really a mental thing more than it is a physical thing - physically your body is gonig to do it... period. Mentally you have to prepare yourself. Understand that by the time you think "I dont know that I cna do this anymore" - then youre basically there. Dont tense up during contractions, explore different comfort measures & be willing & able to try them all if necessary, and havign a supportive partner/coach are key. Id really recommend a doula as well

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search