Birth Day- So annoying

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2007, 02:02 PM
Veteran
So I just got done watching Birth Day. Don't know why I did, it always makes me angry. This time there were 2 women, both came in wanting a natural birth. The first was being induced because she was 41 weeks and "overdue" and the other wasn't progressing so was given both Cytotec and Pitocin as well. Both ended up getting epidurals partway through. Then the first one made it to 10 cm and her contractions just stopped. Couldn't get the baby out. The other never went past 1 cm and baby started to have irregularities in heartbeat. The first was lucky and contractions started again before they did the C-section the Dr's wanted to do. The other had an emergency C. It just makes me so sad and angry. It is so typical of what you see in hospitals and this show makes it sound like this is normal and how it should be! I sat yelling at the TV and idiot Dr's the whole time!

July 31st, 2007, 02:54 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
0h yeah, most of those baby shows made me so mad (I don't have cable anymore). The only one I ever liked was about the maternity center in Miami.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
August 1st, 2007, 07:43 AM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't watch. The shows make me SOOOOO angry!
Trying to talk women into epidurals IN THE MIDDLE OF A CONTRACTION & IN THE MIDDLE OF TRANSITION, when they've SPECIFICALLY stated that they want to go natural is just WRONG.
Nope, I don't watch them anymore, they frustrate me to tears.

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3, DD November 2013
August 1st, 2007, 08:04 AM
CBMS
It really does happen, though.

With my first one, I finally had to yell at them that I didn't want anything and not to *&*&(^(*& ask me again! My second was really quick and I was friends with the nurse, so there wasn't anything. The third one--I can't even COUNT the times that I was told that I 'NEEDED' to have an epidural. I was so angry at them... yes, it was a long labor. yes, I went many hours with not progressing beyond 4 cm. yes, I was tired and hungry (thanks for not letting me eat for over 24 hours, you JERKS!), but no! I still didn't want drugs!

That's why I chose a birth center this time.
August 1st, 2007, 02:09 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Yeah...they always seem to try to talk you in to drugs and epi's in the hospital. That is why I don't want to go to the hospital this time until the baby is practically falling out!!!!!! With my first 2 I wasn't given the option of drugs...too far along when I got to the hospital and both were premature. With my 3rd I went to the hosp because I had the flu and couldn't even keep water down. I'm diabetic (type 1) on top of that so on top of behing dehydrated my sugars were totally screwed up. So I went to the hosp to get everything under control. Well, while I was there I started having contractions and dilating. I was in labor for like 24 hours. They kept trying to push drugs. I kept resisting but ended up giving in to stadol. I still refused the epi. Then they started pitocin because my contractions stopped at 7cm (I think due to the stadol but who knows for sure). They told me about 20 times before starting the pitocin that I should really get an epi...and even that I would "NEED" it for pain. I kept refusing. Once they started the pitocin the epi pushing nurses were back again trying to convince me that I wouldn't be able to handle the pain. I finally said....well, no one has ever died from just pain alone so I guess I'll live!!!! lol And guess what I managed to live to tell about it...epi free! I wish I had refused the Stadol because I really feel that is the reason that my contractions stalled out. This time I plan on going all natural....and there will be NO giving in!!! I am going to a different hospital this time and the hospital I am going to comes highly recommended by an acquantance of mine that is a doula. She told me that the hospital is "natural birth friendly" and that a majority of the women that go in planning to go natural end up going natural.

Wow...sorry kind of got off on my own vent there. But I do think that those shows should show women that actually suceed in having the natural childbirths they desire...not the ones that give in to the pressure of drug friendly hospitals.

August 18th, 2007, 06:42 PM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am coming in here from the Feb Due date club, because I am all for a natural birth and I do not want any meds. I feel like being a women I am made to give birth w/out meds. I am soo happy I looked down and found this board. I never realized how hospitals try to talk women into having epidurals and things like that. Ugh, something to look forward to...having to yell that I dont want anything (lol).

I look up to all the mommies that didnt have meds and are writting on here...the only people that tell me that I will never be able to have the baby w/out meds are the people that had to have epidurals, makes me angry!!!

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

August 19th, 2007, 09:11 PM
sonadora's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to sonadora Send a message via MSN to sonadora Send a message via Yahoo to sonadora
Hospital policy makes me fume. If I weren't having so much trouble with this pregnancy, I would be planning a homebirth with a CNM in attendance.

Hopefully, next time around I'll have a homebirth. Sigh.

August 22nd, 2007, 06:13 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Those shows drive me nuts too - it's always "you NEED this PERFECTLY NORMAL intervention" ... and then another, and another and another. *sigh*

Ditto to UrbanMomma - I think the show she mentioned was House of Babies, it's much nicer than Birth Day and the other Discovery baby shows.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search