What point did you go to the hosp?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2007, 09:28 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Hi...I lurk here and used to post occasionally. My first 2 were natural births but not by choice...both were preemies 28 weeker and a 32 weeker. Because they were not able to stop my labor due to being too far along I ended up having both without any drugs. My 3rd I had wanted a natural birth but gave in to stadol and pitocin when my labor stalled out at 7cm. This time I am again planning a natural birth. My question is at what point did you go to the hosp? Is there a certain time you would wait for (like painful contrax 5 mins apart)? I am only about 5-10 mins from the hosp so I am not really worried about not getting there in time. My fear is actually the opposite...getting there too soon. I would prefer to labor at home...take a warm shower, walk around, etc. I also fear that if I go to the hosp too early I will get talked into stadol again although I don't think it did anything except make me sleepy last time and I actually blame stadol for my stalled labor. BUT that is a completely different topic! lol Just thought this would be the best place to ask.... What point did you go to the hosp? Do you wish you would have gone sooner? later? why or why not?

August 1st, 2007, 04:46 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
With my first I went at about 5 cm. Contractions were around 5-7 minutes apart. Hers was at the hospital with a midwife. I could have stayed home longer, but I was worried cause it was my first and I wanted to get into the jacuzzi tub. She was born about 5 hours after getting to the hospital. I think the timing was okay.

with my second I went to the birth center when they were 5 min apart, but they immediately jumped to 3 min apart when I walked in the door. I was there less than 2 hours before she was born. hers was a waterbirth and I kinda wish I'd gone in sooner just to have more time in the tub

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

August 1st, 2007, 05:44 AM
Veteran
Well, I'm having a home birth this go round so the question is moot for me this time! But,I'd say if you are that close to the hospital then wait as long as possible. Wait until the contractions are very strong and you cannot focus through them any more. Everyone is different, but for me that is at about 8 cm and I usually have about 10-20 minutes left. That would be about perfect for me if I was only 10 minutes from the hospital. The Doctors will tell you to come in sooner, but that is only because they want to monitor you and don't think you can handle things on your own. Ignore them. They also tell you to come right in if your water is broken. Ignore that too. The only reason is because they will be putting you on their 24 hour time schedule. If you don't give birth within 24 hours of your water breaking they will get that baby out by whatever means necessary.

I went in too early with my others and had to spend too much time in the hospital. With my first I was induced due to pre-eclampsia, so that wasn't fun. I would certainly never CHOOSE to be induced again. My second I was in the OB when I was having Contractions every 4 minutes and she told me to go in. Ended up being there for 8 hours before baby was born. On moonitors and tied to the bed almost the whole time...and with #3 I went in when my water broke. Spent 6 hours there before baby arrived. Now the hospital is 20 minutes away for me, and I don't like that one, heard bad things about it, s I would probably go to the one 1 hour away if I were doing a hospital birth this time. That would mean I would probably head in earlier than I need to just because I wouldn't want to have the baby in the car.

But, like I said, having this one at home, so we're just hoping the midwife makes it to us in time!

August 1st, 2007, 06:56 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had planned on waiting, but in reality when my water broke I was so excited to finally be in labor that I just wanted to go and get her out. My water broke at 9 am, I started ctx 10 minutes later and they were regular from the beginning. DH was at work, 45 minutes away and the hospital was another 30-45 minutes from home. I'm happy with going in early though. I felt "settled in" and was able to focus on the labor. The nurses were awesome, they knew I wanted a natural birth so I had no problems with walking the halls, getting in the shower. At one point my dad and I were in the gift shop- I was in my hospital gown and chatting with the woman who worked there in between ctx. It was also nice being there because I was leaking and so utilized the ginormous hospital pads. Next time I will probably wait until my water breaks or ctx are in a normal pattern. I know getting there in transition makes it less likely you'll be bullied, but riding in the car through that would be too much for me. Personally I felt better having done the paperwork and just able to fully focus, but I knew the baby would be coming soon anyway.

August 5th, 2007, 09:16 AM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Thanks everyone. I do think I will wait until I can't focus through the contrax anymore. I just know that once at the hosp I will end up strapped to the bed and monitors. I would rather stay home and labor in my own bed, take a bath or shower, etc. I think I will be much more comfortable at home. I am excited about going to a diff hospital this time. They seem MUCH more open to the idea of natural childbirth. In fact, about a month or so ago I ended up there due to a really bad infection...was having contractions and also got IV antibiotics and fluids...anyway I was talking to the nurse and mentioned that I had planned on going natural when the time came. She said that she had both of her kids natural/drug-free!!! So I know she won't be pushing drugs!!! lol

August 6th, 2007, 02:49 AM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
I didn't go to the hospital at all. I had a homebirth with a MW.

Could yourself or your husband learn how to check for dilation? I know a few mommies who checked themselves to see how many cm's they were. You could wait until you were at 8cm or something.

You are strong and you can do it!

</MARQUEE>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search