Waterbirth tubs

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Tikka's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi gals,

Popping in from Sept DDC and wanted to ask your opinion.

I have the option of renting an aqua doula tub that comes with a heater for $250, or I can buy a waterbirth inflatable pool for around $100, however it does not have a heater, nor can one be purchased seperately. The sales person said that many moms just have someone put a few pots of hot water in every two hours or so just to keep the water temp warm.

I'm curious to know if any of you have had an experience with either the heated pool or non heated pool and if you would recommend one over the other.

TIA!

August 7th, 2007, 09:53 PM
azchela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just used a big play pool - no heater at all. I ordered it off of www.yourwaterbirth.com. we had no trouble keeping the water warm, we turned up our water heater and filled it with really hot water, then we would use a bucket to remove water and replace it with more hot water (either from a huge pot on the stove or the faucet).

I didn't get into the pool until I was in active labor (contractions were too painful to deal with any other way).

It was a pain to drain - I will definitely get a reversible pump IF we do that again. Edited to add: IF we have another baby, I mean...I had a wonderful home birth and would never consider having a baby anywhere else unless truly medically necessary).

August 8th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Tikka's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I just used a big play pool - no heater at all. I ordered it off of www.yourwaterbirth.com. we had no trouble keeping the water warm, we turned up our water heater and filled it with really hot water, then we would use a bucket to remove water and replace it with more hot water (either from a huge pot on the stove or the faucet).

I didn't get into the pool until I was in active labor (contractions were too painful to deal with any other way).

It was a pain to drain - I will definitely get a reversible pump IF we do that again. Edited to add: IF we have another baby, I mean...I had a wonderful home birth and would never consider having a baby anywhere else unless truly medically necessary).[/b]
Thanks Michelle, and congrats!

If you don't mind me asking; how long were you in it in total?

August 8th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I used a rented birthing tub with a heater. The water didn't stay as warm as I might have liked, but it never got cool either. We filled it 10 hours before the actual birth and never had to extra warm water, so I guess that is a good thing.

Plus it was very deep, much deeper than any kiddie pool I think. I could sit and be submerged up to my shoulders. And when a contraction came I would just let go and float- and the pressure went away completely. I used it for awhile in early labor and then got in again for the last 2 hours or so, from transition to birth. It came with a pump too and my husband said it was easy to set up, fill, and drain. I have long labors so I don't think I'd like the idea of waiting til the end to fill it or having to refill with hot water.

I've been having the same dilemma as you, not knowing which to use. Money is tight so saving $100 seems great, but now in answering your question, I'm not sure about the inflatable pool. The one drawback to renting a pool is having to clean it out and disinfect it afterwards. That was a big job and not much fun at only a week or two postpartum.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search