Reducing the chance of tearing....

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2007, 08:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hello again ladies

I was just hoping for some advice and info on the best way to reduce the chance of tearing during birth. I know that patience is meant to play a big part and have noticed that Joyfulchaos has mentioned quite a few times that she hasn't torn at all with any of her babies. So when you mention patience, what exactly does this mean??
What are the best things to do - the tricks of the trade ??
Do you think perenial massage assists? If so, what, when and how should I go about doing this??

Thanks in advance xx

August 21st, 2007, 09:43 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
water!! both of my girls I labored and/or birthed in water. It helps your skin be more elastic during delivery. With my first I had no tears and my second just the slightest teeny tiny one (no stitches) and they both came out super fast in less than 2 minutes each.

Pereneal massage can help as well. For that start now and just have DH massage that area for a few minutes every night (good luck keeping him off you after that though ) Your midwife/DH can also "support" the perenium during delivery to help. Drink lots of water and eat well.

and do your kegels!!

oh and a couple things about "patience" - your midwife/doctor can generally tell if you might tear and can guide you through pushing slowly to reduce the chance of it.

And don't force yourself to push before your body is ready. That's a big thing. Keep in mind that when the baby is ready to come out, its actually possible that you don't "need" to push at all. they've even documented comatose patients deliver babies, so pushing isn't always a must. But follow your body, you'll know when to push, trust me! Try not to push until you have to.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

August 22nd, 2007, 05:08 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The only thing I can add is the suggestion of warm compresses. My midwife has told me that she uses them religiously (she only delivers at homebirths and keeps them in water in the Crock Pot so they're warm and ready to go when she needs them!) I'm sure they're not standard in hospitals, although some may use them... I usually recommend to my friends and the ladies who I'm "doula-ing" that they bring along a few old (but clean) washcloths to the birth and have someone get them warm, wet and readily available for the nurse or doctor to use during the delivery. Holding it over the perineum may help and can't hurt - but I suppose it depends on the nurse/doctor as to whether or not they'll actually do it.

Best of luck to you!
August 24th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Shannie
I didn't tear with my daughter (my first). I read a lot on prevention... I drank lots of water during my pregnancy, especially at the end. I also took omega 3 supplements which are supposed to help increase elasticity of the skin. I did do a bit of perineal massage the month leading up to the birth but I really never got into it.

During the labour my midwife used olive oil to help lubricate Everly's exit. Everly actually got stuck because my perineum was so tight (from dancing apparently). The midwife almost had to do an episotomy because the cord was around her neck and she wasn't budging. After hearing that I ended up pushing her out without a tear. I think I had success because of the olive oil, plus my midwife was very clear about when to stop pushing and when to slow down.
September 12th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Veteran
Olive oil and your midwife can also "support" the perenium during delivery to help. Also listening to your midwife when she tells you to stop pushing. Having a midwife who knows how to do and will do this (IMO) is the key.

Olive oil, lots of it sprayed on you several times and your midwife can also "support" the perenium during delivery to help. Also listening to your midwife when she tells you to stop pushing. Having a midwife who knows how to do and will do this (IMO) is the key. By the way, I didn't tear.
September 25th, 2007, 11:49 PM
chele11's Avatar RIC
Send a message via Yahoo to chele11
Quote:
Hello again ladies

I was just hoping for some advice and info on the best way to reduce the chance of tearing during birth. I know that patience is meant to play a big part and have noticed that Joyfulchaos has mentioned quite a few times that she hasn't torn at all with any of her babies. So when you mention patience, what exactly does this mean??
What are the best things to do - the tricks of the trade ??
Do you think perenial massage assists? If so, what, when and how should I go about doing this??

Thanks in advance xx[/b]
YES! Perineal massage definitely works. I had it done with both my kiddos.... My dd weighed 9-12 and I had like 3 stitches. DS weighed 8-5 and I had 3-5 stitches!!! That's IT. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search