We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
My sis was due today. She went to her doc on Wed and for some reason, they decided to strip her membranes at the office and told her if she did not go into labor on her own, they would induce her the following night with Cytotec (for 12 hrs) followed by Pit.
Well, her water broke yesterday morning around 10. I was at the hospital to see her and left around 2:20p, when they hung the Pit. When I left, she'd been having some strong contractions, but was still only 1cm.
I came back around 6-6:30 and she'd already had two doses of Stadol (she was trying to wait it out), was still only 1cm and was having cx on cx on cx. She could barely catch her breath. They'd reduced the Pit to half, but still her cx's were that strong and that close together. She was having a very diff time breathing thru the pain. At that point, she WANTED an epidural but they wouldn't give her one bc she was only 1cm.....
At 8:30 or so, they checked her and she was 2cm, decided to give her an epidural bc they did not want to stop the Pit (in fact, wanted to increase it) and by the time they gave it to her, she was dilated to 3cm (just knowing she was getting the right pain relief could have relaxed her a bit, I think, to dilate)
What concerns me is that in my last 2 pg, I did not want pain relief. W/dd, I tried to go as long as possible but did tell the midwife that I would accept Stadol/Demerol to knock off the edge. It made me sleepy and I slept thru quite a bit of labor. I don't remember when I got the epidural, or even getting it, but I remember having one. I also remember that they did not tell me they had stopped it and that I would feel pain....if I'd have been prepared, I mgiht have had an easier time. Thinking back now, I think I probably could have handled the delivery without ANY epidural at all, but then.....that was 13 yrs ago!!
W/ds, I was induced bc dd weighed 9-12. At 39 wks, he still came out at 8.5 lbs (normal size but could have been bigger with another wk or two). They broke my water (w/both pg's) and I was not progressign with Pit, so they convinced me to get an epidural to help me relax. I was breathing on my own just fine, thank you! But was not progressing.
WHAT IS THE HURRY with these docs and nurses/hospitals???? I mean, if I can stand the pain, can't they wait?? OR IS IT A SAFETY ISSUE WITH THE BABY??????
My sis was not allowed to get up and move around bc of fear of cord prolapse.... I was not aware that you couldn't get up once your water broke? I couldn't bc I was hooked up to Pit w/both pg's.
now that I'm more informed, I want to have a better plan, but have no idea how to implement one. I don't want to be induced if I don't have to be (but I just don't dilate!! AND I have Gestational Diabetes on top of it)..... IF I have to be induced, OR if they have to use Pit to help cx's, what are my options for mobility, different positions, etc, for pain management, besides drugs????
Sorry so long....
editted to add: sis is STILL in labor and as of 8'ish this morning was supposed to be fully dilated and ready to push but as of an hour ago, still no news of a baby.
Most hospitals/docs push induction and pain medication when none is needed, so baby will come on their timeline and not baby's. Most or at least the inductions I've heard of and the one I had were not needed but done because of being "overdue" or "going to get to big for a small mamma" and not a real medical condition. In cases like those the outcomes are no better then moms allowed to go into labor on thier own. As far as pain medicine goes I have never heard of a case (excluding c-sections) where they were needed, it's yet another convince (sp?) for the doctors and nurses.
I wish women would remember that they can refuse anything offered to them while in labor or to induce it. If you don't want pain meds, you don't HAVE to get them, same with an induction, and any number of interventions offered (including pictocin, breaking of the waters, membrane strips, cervix checks, cytotec anything). You have to be an advocate for yourself because no one else will be so do your research on anything you think will be an issue while in labor and bring them up with the doc/midwife. (have reputalble resources on hand so they can read what you have) You'll find as I have alot of docs practice out of tradition and fear and not scientific evidence.
As for pain management I'll be using hypnosis (hynobabies) for pain relief. And for moving around don't go into hospital unless needed and while there refuse (unless medically NEEDED) IV's (you can move around with IV's)and CFMing anything that might interfer with movement.