Yeah, hospitals & medical staff are soooooooo safe

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 29th, 2008, 05:59 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
40,000 people are being asked to get tested for Hep C after unsafe practices which have been going on for several years now have infected at least 6 people with Hep C.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23379333/?GT1=10856

All the cases are from patients receiving anesthesia medication via injection.

Having PERSONALLY seen anesthesiologists administer epidurals, fail to get it in right the first time, lay the needle on the bed, pick it back up & try to reinsert it (sometimes occuring 3 and 4 times), NO WONDER. This extends a bit beyond it, but its highly likely this isnt the only place in the country that this has happened. THey just happened to be unfortunate enough to infect at least 6 people with Hep C.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
February 29th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Wow. That's scary!

I had lunch with a friend I made in my hypnobirthing class yesterday and we were talking about how much you learn after having your first child. We both gave birth (naturally) in a hospital but are planning on birth centers for the next baby and both agreed that it would likely that we would end up with homebirths for the 3rd if there is one. I will definitely not be going back to a hospital unless there is some unlikely emergency that's for sure!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

February 29th, 2008, 10:14 AM
*Jackie*
O_o wow....
March 1st, 2008, 10:00 AM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
40,000 people are being asked to get tested for Hep C after unsafe practices which have been going on for several years now have infected at least 6 people with Hep C.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23379333/?GT1=10856

All the cases are from patients receiving anesthesia medication via injection.

Having PERSONALLY seen anesthesiologists administer epidurals, fail to get it in right the first time, lay the needle on the bed, pick it back up & try to reinsert it (sometimes occuring 3 and 4 times), NO WONDER. This extends a bit beyond it, but its highly likely this isnt the only place in the country that this has happened. They just happened to be unfortunate enough to infect at least 6 people with Hep C.

Lala...[/b]
Yeah, I saw that. It's crazy.

Just FYI, I think these people were getting there meds from nurses administering medications, not anesthesiologists. They didn't make that clear in the article, but 99% of the time endoscopies are done that way. They only use anesthesiologists or nurse anesthetists if they fail to get it right with their nurses (because the gastroenterologists don't want to have to pay for an anesthesiologist).

Also, that is crazy that the anesthesiologists that you saw were laying needles on the bed! Holy crap! I'm a resident physician anesthesiologist (and yes, I had a completely natural birth center birth because I think that having an OBGYN and giving birth in hospitals for healthy women is complete overkill-Hence, the reason that I don't do OB anesthesia unless I have to) and I wouldn't even THINK of doing that. If something gets dropped I just go get a brand new kit and start over. You could freaking give someone meningitis if you don't stay sterile!

One last thing, the ability of someone to get an epidural "right" the first time often isn't a reflection of their skill level. I'd say that a full 25% or more of people have some degree of scoliosis that isn't noticeable during normal day-to-day life, but as soon as I look at their spine it's obvious that it's there, which makes it difficult.

Sorry for the hijack.

I agree though, the whole story is crazy. IMO, hospitals are for sick people, not healthy women having babies.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search