Too much EPO?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2008, 06:27 PM
4boys
Has anyone ever heard of such a thing as taking too much evening primrose oil?
March 4th, 2008, 08:28 PM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
nope!! with kaylynn, i took a buch orally and shoved tons up "there" at the end too.

Survivor Mom - My Blog

March 4th, 2008, 09:30 PM
4boys
That's what I thought. I am planning on taking 4 a day starting tomorrow (that would be 2000 mg) and for some reason my midwife thought that was too much. But in all the many hours of research I have done, I have never heard of there being such a thing as too much. So I'm gonna do it anyways. I want it to work!! And I have heard women say it didn't do anything for them if they only took one a day.
March 5th, 2008, 08:21 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think at 36 weeks it is probably too much. I wouldnt start such a heavy regimen until at least 38, 39 weeks personally. At 36 weeks you could still easily have 6 weeks of pg left, and even a hoipeful guess is 4 weeks. Its not a LONG time, but its enough that if baby DID come this early, it could be problematic.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
March 5th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Super Mommy
Why do you want the baby born early? It does not sound wise.

Mom to boys: G 7, C 5, K 4, N 3

March 5th, 2008, 11:46 AM
4boys
I don't necessarily want the baby born early, however I have a history of very big babies and don't want to go so far overdue that the baby is huge and delivery becomes more difficult (which happened last time). Also, in my last pregnancy, I didn't dilate or efface AT ALL, I mean, NOTHING until I was induced at 42+ weeks, so I was hoping the EPO would help with that; at least make my cervix more favourable for labor. And besides that, I did have one early baby at 35 weeks who was 6 lbs 8 oz and totally fine; not saying that it would necessarily be the same with this one and I am in no way hoping its born now or anything, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be unsafe for me to have the baby a week or two early. I have gone overdue with all my other pregnancies and just want to help my body out if I can.

The dosage of 4 a day is something my midwife actually recommended and I have read during the research that I've done that taking 3-6 a day until delivery isn't a bad thing. However, my midwife wanted me to decrease the dose over the next four weeks, which just seemed odd. So this is why I ask. And also, I am told that EPO doesn't make labor begin anyway, just helps in preparing the cervix.

Does that make more sense? I hope that I explained myself better this time.
March 5th, 2008, 12:22 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I do understand. And I agree it wont make you go into labor, but I do have a firm amount of trust in our bodies and that they know what theyre doing. Babies that come early on their own tend ot fare better than babies who are induced early. I believe when we go overdue, its b/c we need it somehow, and our bodies dont grow bigger babies than we can handle barring any major medical condition.

So - I dunno - I would just say that EPO is great, and I would be doing 2 - 3 a day, but probably not starting heavier doses until 38 ish weeks personally. 42 weeks over is perfectly normal, and no dilation or effacement doesnt mean a whole lot. You could have easily had the baby the very next day, no differently than if you were dilated & effaced.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
March 5th, 2008, 01:27 PM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
i meant to write in my first post, that i wasn't taking that much at 36 weeks. like lala said, i would start taking a bunch till around 38 weeks.

Survivor Mom - My Blog

March 5th, 2008, 01:49 PM
4boys
Quote:
Well, I do understand. And I agree it wont make you go into labor, but I do have a firm amount of trust in our bodies and that they know what theyre doing. Babies that come early on their own tend ot fare better than babies who are induced early. I believe when we go overdue, its b/c we need it somehow, and our bodies dont grow bigger babies than we can handle barring any major medical condition.

So - I dunno - I would just say that EPO is great, and I would be doing 2 - 3 a day, but probably not starting heavier doses until 38 ish weeks personally. 42 weeks over is perfectly normal, and no dilation or effacement doesnt mean a whole lot. You could have easily had the baby the very next day, no differently than if you were dilated & effaced.

Lala...[/b]
This is true. I agree with everything you said. I guess this is the problem with herbs and things, there's no real set dosage and no real studies (that I know of, usually) to determine whether they work or not. I guess I feel that my midwife is anxious to get this baby out earlier than last time, which I don't necessarily agree with so I am trying to find a balance between what she recommends, what I read about online and what I learn here. I definitely won't be trying any type of induction until after 41 weeks. It's hard to know the line between being really pro-natural everything and still being reasonable...I don't know if that makes sense.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search