Hi ladies! I'm new here

Forum: Trying to Conceive Older Members

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Older Members LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 9th, 2008, 01:11 PM
haphoping
Hi everyone! I have been lurking for a few days but this is my first post. My name is Julie and I am 36 and TTC #3. MY DH and I have 15 and 10 yr old sons and I just really feel that my family is not complete so I managed to talk (okay strong arm) my DH into trying for a 3rd! LOL. This is my first month using OPKs and I have a 28 day cycle. On day 11 and 12 the OPK was a definite positive so I sweet talked hubby into BD both days. Now here I am on day 17 and my OPK is positive again! What is going on??? Has this happened to others? I started charting temps on fertilityfriend.com but just realized after reading this wonderful site that I need to buy a BB thermometer...not a fever thermometer! So will try doing that right next month. Thanks for listening and looking forward to getting to know you!!!!
August 9th, 2008, 04:23 PM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello, Julie & I'm Becky (34), DH is Tony (also 34). We're TTC #1. I co-host this board along with Jessica. JM is a wonderful online community, and I'm so happy you found us here. Congrats on your 2 boys, and good luck with TTC #3.

I've only used OPKs for 1 cycle, so I'm no expert - but I can answer what I know. I ended up getting 7 days in a row of positives. I found out that was pretty common, and what is recommended is once you get your 1st day of a positive, you are supposed to stop testing with them. You are supposed to ovulate 12-24 hours after receiving a positive OPK but this can vary from woman to woman. What I also discovered with mine was after looking much closer that I got several days of the test line being very close to the darkness of the control line, but not being a match so it wasn't really a positive. I hope one of the other ladies here can be of more assistance with this question.

With temping, you do need a BBT thermometer. They're thankfully not that expensive, and can be picked up at CVS/Rite Aid/Walmart/Target/etc. - you need to ensure they read 2 decimal points. Fertility Friend has alot of good info, and I've learned alot from them.

Good luck & again welcome! I look forward to getting to know you!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
August 9th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hello Julie, I'm also a recent newbie. My name is Mary and my DH Andy and I have 6 kids. We are hoping to conceive #7. Our oldest is 8, so we keep busy around our home, we also homeschool, so we got back into school last week. If I'm not posting a whole lot that's probably why. We currently have 4 of them in diapers (we use cloth, thank goodness), and I'm gently trying to convince our 3 year old that using the big potty is neat....no luck yet.

I don't know a thing about OPK, I've never used them, but there are lots of smart ladies here who can tell you lots. I just started using the BBT thing this month. I am on my first real period after having our last son, so my chart is a little messed up, but it's so easy to do.

Way to go on "convincing" DH to try for #3, I hope you get a positive real soon. This group of ladies is really great, can't wait to get to know you!
Hi, my name is Mary and my DH is Andy and we are a Christian family of 9 living on a farm. We enjoy growing and raising our own food. We have a huge garden in the summer for vegetables and raise our own animals for meat. We homeschool our children, use cloth diapers, and eat as healthy as possible. God has planned the births of our children and we love having a big family!

God has blessed us with:
Daisy (9), Veronica (7), Charlie (4), Sally (3), Mark (2), Travis (15 months), Nathan (5 months)
August 10th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
to our group, Julie!! I'm Jessica (40) and DH is Paul (38) and we're TTC#1 since January. Becky already mentioned that we host the board together. We've got a great group of ladies and hope you enjoy it here with us. Congratulations on "convincing" DH to try for #3.

As for your OPK question. I've only used them one month and I never got a positive (I started a couple of days too early and ran out). I also don't know much about them, sorry. I have heard of women that get multiple positives. I'm thinking there are more positives because it's so hard to read the lines. Since they are so hard to tell whether this line is darker than that line you could try a digital one. I'm sure they are more expensive, but you could alway PIAC (Pee In A Cup) and try the regular one and if it looks like it's positive then use the digital. I've never heard of anybody doing it that way, but if it works for an HPT why wouldn't it work for an OPK?

As Becky said, make sure you get a BBT that has 2 decimal places. You can use a regular thermometer, but you'll get better results with a true BBT. But, be careful, I bought a BBT because it said "BBT" and it only had 1 decimal place I'm not sure how far you are in your cycle, but if you are only a few days into it using the regular thermometer, you could get a BBT and start using that and disregard your other temps since it's the days after AF that are what count. FF is great and I too have learned a lot, and gotten addicted to looking at charts, so my word of warning is to "be careful".

Congrats and Welcome!!

August 10th, 2008, 10:15 AM
haphoping
Hi Becky, Mary and Jessica! Thank you for the warm welcome, I really appreciate it! Thank you for the good advice about the OPK....I think I will get a BBT AND a digital OPK for next cycle. Yes, I am a bit of a control freak and need to know what is going on/when exactly I am ovulating!!! LOL You are right those darn test strips ARE hard to read. Though I know for sure that twice the test line was darker than the control line, so who knows. Thanks again!
August 10th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Julie. I'm fairly new to this board as well. My name is Kimberley (35), married to Jason (36), and we're TTC our first. I have been using OPK's, but I find that the window for a positive is pretty short. I tested negative one morning, and then positive that afternoon, and then negative the next day. I buy cheap ones on eBay and then use the digitals during the middle of my cycle as confirmation. Good luck!
August 10th, 2008, 11:18 AM
safeway0027's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi and Julie. I'm Chum 34 and dh 39 ttc our first since March. Everyone here is great!! I used OPK before, but once I get a postive I stop testing, so I guess I don't know much beyond that..sorry. Like Becky said your can get multiple postive...GL hope you get a BFP soon.

August 10th, 2008, 03:43 PM
CaseyM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to CaseyM
Hi Julie and . I am Casey (34 for 15 more days) and DH is Tim (26). We have been TTC #1 since October of 07. I agree with what the others said. This is a great place for info and just for venting. Can't wait to get to know you better.

As for OPKs, I used them the last couple months and never really got a positive. But Kimberly was right. You should test twice a day when you know it's near time, especially with the cheap ones from the internet. The window could be short. I would definately get a digital reading next month just to be sure. We are going to try the brand name ones this cycle, cause I don't think the OPK's I have are working right and I want to be sure, especially with the Clomid. So good luck to you guys and hopefully.......... is coming your way soon!!!

Love to share pics on my facebook....

casey cochran melanson
August 10th, 2008, 07:56 PM
boysmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to this board. I'm Sherry (38) DH is 39. We've been TTC#3 for 2 years. I used OPKs last month and had a lot of trouble reading them. I'm sorry I can't give you any advice but just wanted to say good luck.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search