We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
Ok so we had the inspection last night. Everything overall was looking good. There are some issues, but nothing that my electrician father-in-law or my contractor step-father can't fix. A coupl eof small wiring issues, some siding in need of replacement, and some windows that just need a little more flashing. The rest is cosmetic stuff, painting, resanding the floors, etc. The big worry now is the septic system. We have that test on Thursday morning. We are worried because we talked to a guy in the business and he said that most leech fields will last up to about 40 years. Well the house is 40 years old. So we are not sure if this test is going to be good or not. Oh, and we are still waiting on the radon test results. We'll get those on Friday. But family has seen the house and so far so good. So please keep those fingers crossed for the septic (about $8-12K to fix) and we'll see what happens......
I'm glad the house inspection went well, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that the septic system is fine too. Ouch on the cost $8-12K - I had to replace the septic system at my Mom's place back in 2002 it ended up being close to $5K. I guess prices have gone up.
Congrats on almost getting your house. GL on the septic system...can you put that cost onto the owner of the house and make them paid for it? Keeping my fingers crossed that everything will pass and you will get your lovely new home soon.
The septic test went okay. The leach field is fine and has probably about 10-15 years left on it. The tank and D-box need to be replaced before selling. So we are going to go back to the seller and tell him that they need to be replaced. If he says no, then we won't take the house. And the good thing is that if we don't, atleast we know that he has to disclose that now to any future prospective buyers.....We are still waiting on the radon test results to come back.....I'll KUP....
Thanks for the update, Casey!! Your other option with the septic issue is the seller isn't willing to do the repairs is to try and renegotiate the price based on the new information. Of course, you'd have to get some bids on what it would take to do. And, if it's not a requirement for it to be "contracted out" to specific contractors maybe family would be willing to help out on that too. If you can do all of that, it'll save you even more money that you can use towards the "fun" repairs.
Well, we sent the letter to the seller letting him know about everything that we would like fixed or paid for. This included the radon (level was high so needs to be mitigated), the contructural stuff and electrical stuff, and the septic system. We also asked that the furnace be serviced since it's due now. We'll have to wait and see what they say now. We asked that the seller fix the septic and the radon and service the furnace at his expense. The rest we submitted estimates for and would like the money put into escrow for repairs. So now it's waiting. I'm not sure which is gonna kill me more....waiting for the reply or waiting to O.....lol