chem. PG or heavy AF?

Forum: Trying to Conceive Older Members

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Older Members LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 15th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Veteran
I have been desperately TTC a sibling for my little son for years. I have a history of bad post-coital tests (acidic CM), not to mention my age working against me. Fertility treatments are no longer an option at this point.

I have been trying to do everything I can to remedy the CM issue (dietary changes and supplements to help my body's PH levels, etc.), and managed to conceive last March. But, I MC in May @ 8 weeks (blighted ovum).

This month, I had brownish spotting at 7 DPO, and lots of lower back cramping for days before AF. Then AF arrived 16 DPO and has been quite heavy as well as very clotty. Usually, she's come and gone before 4 days, and is much lighter.

My questions are:

1) I know no one can know for sure of course, but is this what happens when one has a chemical PG? Or, does this happen when we're nearing menopause?

2) Does anyone know which PG tests are the least expensive, while being sensitive enough to test + a bit before AF is due?

I know it's often best not to even know if we had a chemical PG, but for me, if this is what is happening, I think it's best to call it quits at this point, as it's obvious between that and the blighted ovum that my eggs are pretty much expired. That's why I would like to know.

I have let TTC take over my life for so long, that it might be best to stop doing this to myself and try to just be happy with the little blessing I have.

Thank you for listening.
August 15th, 2008, 08:08 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to BeckyM
Hello, I don't know the answers to your questions but wanted to give you some . I hope someone else will have an answer. Please keep us updated and we're always here to listen.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
August 15th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Veteran
Thank you much!
August 15th, 2008, 10:13 AM
haphoping
I am so sorry to hear about your miscarriage and your troubles with your AF right now. I don't have the answers to your questions either, but here is a link to webpage that lists all the HPT and their sensitivity...which are considered best to to test early, etc. Hope it helps some! HUGS!!!!
http://www.peeonastick.com/hpts.html
August 15th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Veteran
Thanks...that is quite some site, isn't it?
August 16th, 2008, 06:09 AM
haphoping
<<Thanks...that is quite some site, isn't it?>>
Wow, you can say that again! I find myself bursting out laughing when I read some of her stuff- it can be so off the wall. I love her sense of humor . She sure did some research on peeing on a stick, huh??!! So, how is your AF now? Still heavy? And if you don't mind me asking...how old are you? You mentioned that you have your age working against you and I am just curious.... I am 36 1/2!
August 16th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry, I don't have any answers for you, maybe some of the other ladies will, they are great here!
Hi, my name is Mary and my DH is Andy and we are a Christian family of 9 living on a farm. We enjoy growing and raising our own food. We have a huge garden in the summer for vegetables and raise our own animals for meat. We homeschool our children, use cloth diapers, and eat as healthy as possible. God has planned the births of our children and we love having a big family!

God has blessed us with:
Daisy (9), Veronica (7), Charlie (4), Sally (3), Mark (2), Travis (15 months), Nathan (5 months)
August 16th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Veteran
Umm, I'm at that age where I guess I ought to be embarrassed about still TTC. I'm afraid to say more!

If only I hadn't been stupid and told my little boy about being PG before I knew everything was going to be okay. My doctor was inexplicably SO optimistic, even though I had a gut feeling something was wrong this time.
I should have listened to my instincts.

My little boy now says things like, "I want my baby." "I want to be a big brother." "Ask God for my baby back."

AF is down to my only needing a single panty shield today (cycle day 5), so I guess things are okay. Thanks for asking about me.

I was thinking, re peeing on a stick, OPK's are actually less expensive than most PG tests, at least from what I've seen in places like Wal-Mart and the like. Maybe I should try one around 12 or 13 DPO next time (AF usually shows 15-16 DPO). I got a +OPK 11 days after my MC, and my doctor said that was because it was picking up leftover PG hormone. The PG test I took at the same time was negative...I guess OPK's can be more sensitive.

What a roller coaster this is.

Thanks again for everyone's replies...
August 18th, 2008, 04:41 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to BeckyM
TTC is an emotional roller coaster. I'm glad AF seems to be getting lighter, and hopefully will be leaving you shortly. With OPKs, this is my 2nd time using them and I got them on sale at CVS. Normally the price turns me off using them, but they were on sale this time. I'm not sure when to advise testing with them, but it seems like you know your cycles pretty good so CD12/13 may work best for you. My cycles have been so long & varying in when I'd O, that it is hard to know when I'll O - this cycle with using Clomid I started testing with the OPKs on the last day I took the pill. Good luck & please keep us updated!!!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
August 18th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
First, I wanted to say Second, I'm sorry to hear about your m/c and I cried when I read what your little boy said to you about wanting his baby back. That must have been so hard for you to hear.

I don't really have any answers to your questions. From what I understand, our cycles do start getting a little weird as we get closer to the big M...I know mine have been way rougher to deal with since I came off BCP then they ever were before and the doctor said "it's because you're getting older". As for the HPT tests, if you have a dollar store nearby you could try those, but there are a lot of girls that have gotten false positives. I don't order them online, but I understand that there are some sites that sell internet cheapies and I understand they are just as sensitive as the otc ones, just a lot less expensive because they are a strip that you dip...so instead of POAS you would PIAC Also, like you said, I understand you can use OPK's as an HPT, but I'm not sure I'd trust them that far.

Doing a post-coital test will probably be the next step with me. But, have you had your FSH tested to see if your eggs are "past the expiration date" (sorry, I was at a loss for words on what the FSH test actually does, I mean I know it tests to see how difficult it is for your body to produce an egg). It's an easy blood test that happens at cd3 of your cycle. I understand where you're coming from, I'm sure all of us do on this board, about not wanting to put yourself thru the stress of ttc if physically you're unable to do so anymore. I wonder that every cycle I get a BFN. Good Luck and KUP!! We're glad you're here with us!!

August 18th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Veteran
Thanks very much, ladies.

Yes, I had my FSH taken awhile back...it was 6.2. That wasn't too long ago but maybe things have changed.

The doctor kept arguing the "old eggs" thing even though all my tests came back normal. I told him I was well aware that my eggs were older, but kept insisting that I had another issue besides so that even if I happened to throw a good one one month, the sperm wouldn't make it so I'd have a chance.

If only things worked just the way we wanted them to, all the time!

Thank you again for your replies.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search