Is anyone on a med that could be harmful in pregnancy?

Forum: Trying to Conceive Older Members

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Older Members LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2008, 06:11 AM
haphoping
I am on a daily med that is categorized as a class "C" drug. I don't think I can go off of it while (if) I am preggo. Discussed this with doc awhile back and she said it is safer to stay on then to risk going off. There will be a small risk to baby, so it makes me nervous. Is anyone else in the same boat?
August 20th, 2008, 06:18 AM
~Suzanne~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I am on a daily med that is categorized as a class "C" drug. I don't think I can go off of it while (if) I am preggo. Discussed this with doc awhile back and she said it is safer to stay on then to risk going off. There will be a small risk to baby, so it makes me nervous. Is anyone else in the same boat?[/b]

I guess it depends on what the medication is for.... since clinical trials are not done with pregnant women, the drug companies have to label them as "class C" drugs. However, if it is a relatively older drug (been on the market a while) there will be data from pregnant women that have taken the drug. The more data on PG women the better.

I regularly take a med for my migraines. The doctor tried to give me a newer med yet, since I am TTC, I thought it better to take an older med that more women have taken without problems in pregnancy. I previously was taking topamax to prevent migraines, but it hasn't been around that long and I didn't want to take any risks if I could avoid it. However, if the migraines do not get better I will probably have to resume the topamax....

If you have to continue taking the drug, you can register with the drug company that makes it and they will monitor and keep you informed of any new findings or risks.

Good luck!
August 20th, 2008, 06:55 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also think it depends on the medicine you're on. I periodically take Zrtec for my allergies and I'm not sure what class is in but my doctor instructed me to take it only as needed for while TTC & during the 1st & 2nd trimesters of pregnancy. After the 3rd trimester, I can take it with no problems. I have multiple family/friends who have been pg and several have medical conditions in where the risk of them stopping their medication was deemed to high and they've all had successful pregnancies & healthy babies. Good luck!!!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
August 20th, 2008, 07:59 AM
boysmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm on a med for my thyroid, which is not harmful at all (in fact it needs to be increased when I get pregnant). I am also on Prevacid for my stomach which is class B. I can't stop it because I have severe acid reflux, which gets worse when I'm pregnant. I'll talk to my doc when the time comes.
August 20th, 2008, 11:08 AM
safeway0027's Avatar Super Mommy
to what everyone has said. I'm sure your dr will watch you and the baby closely and if he/she sees anything that is harmful or putting stress on the baby and yourself, he/she would stop your medication and do something else. GL

August 20th, 2008, 02:23 PM
CaseyM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to CaseyM
I'm on piroxicam for my arthritis and the docs have both assured me that I can take it with no problems for now. My arthritis doc said that I probably won't need it when I get pg, but who knows. But the pharmacist tells me that I cannot take it during the 3rd tri. Oh well...we'll have to wait and see....

Love to share pics on my facebook....

casey cochran melanson
August 21st, 2008, 04:19 PM
Kaitie9399's Avatar Veteran
I have a friend who has severe asthma, high blood pressure, high cholestrol, etc....and when she got pregnant all that went away. Her body didn't need any of those meds while she was pregnant. It's amazing how the body can change so much. Of course, now she's back on all that stuff but those were the best 9 months of life.
August 25th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm on Vasotec for my blood pressure right now, as soon as I get pg I have to switch to another bp med--not sure what class Vasotec is in, though. Everything else I'm on is pg friendly
August 25th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I sometimes need allergy medication - My Dr. said that Benadryl and Chlortriplon are okay to take, but I still do so sparingly. I treat my migraines with regular chiropractic visits and acupuncture and rarely need medication for that.

I'm sure your doctor won't give you bad advice. If you have any more concerns let him/her know.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search