Do you think about..

Forum: Trying to Conceive Older Members

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Older Members LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Super Mommy
I'm WTTC as we are going overseas at christmas time to see dh's family and i don't want to be pregnant because of the long flights (australia to england), jetlag and two young boys to take care of. but putting off ttc means that i will be over 35 when we had another baby. I was googling on the net - and I was just wondering if anyone thinks a lot about the higher pregnancy risks/higher risk of down's syndrome etc? I don't want to focus on these things and when I started reading I just knew I should stop before I read too much. But now it's in my head.

August 21st, 2008, 03:45 AM
CaseyM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to CaseyM
I try not to think about the statistics, as I will be 35 on Monday. And I already have a nephew with Downs. You can't let the news and everything else you read or hear dictate what you will do and won't do and when. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure that you are ready and take to your doc about it. They can give you more insight, as they know your body better than those articles that you'll read. Good luck....

Love to share pics on my facebook....

casey cochran melanson
August 21st, 2008, 03:46 AM
Sasix's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello! I'm Becky (34) and co-host this board along with Jessica. I will be 35 next May and yes, I know that the risks go up after 35 but I personally try not to dwell on it. I am simply doing all I can to try & prevent - by taking prenatal vitamins, following up with the doctor's orders, exercising regularly, etc.

Good luck in your WTTC journey & during your trips this holiday season. I hope you'll stick around and check back in with us and keep us updated.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
August 21st, 2008, 06:04 AM
boysmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm 38, and I do think about the risks, but try not to dwell much. I'll have what I'm meant to have.
August 21st, 2008, 06:44 AM
Denise66's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am 41 right now. I was 40 when I got pregnant with my last baby. I thought about it for awhile but didn't read about it. There are women in their 20's and 30's that have had babies with downs and other birth defects. The statistics tend to focus on the older women. I have know so many women over 35 that have had very healthy babies. I have had 2 over 35. Yes the chances are there but I think the chances are there for any women that is pregnant.

I can't change if it happens and it is a risk I will take if I want to have a baby.

August 21st, 2008, 07:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi and !! I'm Jessica (41) and I co-host the board with Becky. I agree with everyone else. I've read about the risks and understand where I'm headed (hopefully). I try not to dwell on the subject because it'll only stress me out. So, I've adopted the attitude of taking it one step at a time. My first step is to get PG, then I'll take it from there. You do seem to have a good head on your shoulders and thinking of the bigger picture, which is good. Please don't dwell on the unknown. Enjoy what you've got, enjoy the holidays that you've got planned and the rest will take care of itself. Don't be a stranger here, just because we are a TTC board and you're currently WTTC doesn't mean you can't be here with us. Please stick around and keep us posted.

August 21st, 2008, 09:52 AM
safeway0027's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi, and , I'm Chum 34 will be 35 in April ttc my first. to what everyone has alread said. The risks is in the back of my mine, but like everyone too I try not to think about it so much. My sister-in-law has her first child when she was 35 or 36 and my nephew was healthy and beautiful baby...so there is hope and I'm hanging on to that. GL and have a great trip to England...sounds like a lot of fun.

August 21st, 2008, 02:45 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks ladies. We know we definitely want another baby, I am going to be over 35 and there's nothing that can change that, so you are all very right in saying that you can't dwell on the negatives. I know what we want, so I may as well be positive about it! good luck to you all in your TTC journey. I will keep checking in - i will go off bcp soon and perhaps start charting so while i'll be waiting, i'll still feel like i'm on that ttc road (exciting...)!

August 21st, 2008, 04:15 PM
Kaitie9399's Avatar Veteran
To me....35 is just a number. You'll be fine. :-)
August 21st, 2008, 05:12 PM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
The odds are still in your favor in your 30's

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan
August 21st, 2008, 06:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The increased risk for Down's doesn't really bother me. I tend to obsess more about how the odds of conceiving decrease after 35! The one thing that keeps me going is that my grandma had my uncle when she was 41 - and that was over 50 years ago!
August 22nd, 2008, 07:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
41, really??? That gives me hope since I just turned that. I just hope I can get pg and deliver before I'm 42.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search