OPK/ temp/ ovulation confusion?

Forum: Trying to Conceive Older Members

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Older Members LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 25th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Veteran
Can anyone give me some ideas, please?

I have been using OPK's and checking my BBT's. This is what happened:

CD 10: temp 97.3, completely negative OPK (about 1:30 PM)

CD 11: temp 97.4, completely negative OPK (about 2 PM)

CD 12: temp 97.3, test line same color as control line on OPK (about 2 PM)

CD 13: temp 98.0, but test line darker than control line on OPK at 5 in the afternoon!

CD 14 (today): temp 98.4

Okay, it looks like I probably ovulated, but when? Why would my temp have gone up, indicating I've ovulated, on the same day that I got a second strongly positive OPK?

I have a very regular 28-day cycle, with AF due next Tuesday. I am very frustrated and think something has gone haywire in my body. Any help, please? Thanks!
August 25th, 2008, 08:37 AM
safeway0027's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm not sure if I will be alot of help, but I will try. I never seems to have luck with OPK...so I'm not sure how to answer that one. I think you O'd on the 13th...I know ff will said that you O'd on th 12th. When looking at when you O...a drop and a increase temp usually tell when you O'ed. Did you check you vag. fluid (cream, egg white, etc.)? That can somethim helps tell that you are bout to O. GL

August 25th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
OK, here goes nothing....

With an OPK it tells you that you SHOULD O within 12-36 hours of your positive, which was on CD13....sooooo you best have been doin' some BDing on CD's 12-16. As for your temp, everybody is different, but I would anticipate a drop in temp tomorrow (indicating O), and then a shift back up on Wednesday and beyond.

Why would you say AF is due on Sept 2nd when that would only put you at CD22 instead of CD28?

I hope this helped.

August 25th, 2008, 10:35 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to BeckyM
In no means do I consider myself a chart expert, but here's my 2 cents worth. We need to see a few more day's worth of temps, but if your temp continues to increase tomorrow then I think you O'd on CD12 with the dip in your temp. Starting CD13 your temps are rising, and after tomorrow's temp (which will hopefully be higher) this should confirm ovulation. With the OPKs, I tend to get multiple days of positives. The OPKs pick up your LH surge indicating you will be ovulating. What is supposed to happen is that after you receive your 1st positive you should ovulate in 12-48 hours. If you have a strong enough LH surge, then those hormones will stick around in your body for several days resulting in multiple positives.

I'm more of a visual person, so if you have an online chart you want to share, we might be able to offer more guidance.

Good Luck - there's a bunch of us right about the same time in our cycles so I hope to see some more BFPs in the next few weeks!!!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
August 25th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Veteran
Thanks.

But as I said, I got my usual temp shift already (yesterday/ Sunday) despite getting a +OPK that same day. That is what's confusing me. Had I O'd on CD 12, why would I get a +OPK on CD 12 and 13 (and not the 10th or 11th)?

As a rule, my temps are at or about 97.3 pre-ovulation, then they shoot up to 98 or above overnight, and stay that way til the day before AF. According to my temps, I've already O'd somewhere in there. Also, I keep track of stuff and never ever O past day 14 for some reason.

My temps never drop on the day of ovulation, so I can't go by that. Neither can I go by EWCM, as unfortunately I no longer get any (already tried the cough syrup, EPO, etc.)...I guess this happens with age. I was only able to conceive my last by (TMI sorry) injecting raw egg white.

AF last came Tuesday August 12th and is due Tuesday September 9th (made a blooper in my post).

Thanks ladies for trying to help...
August 25th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If the test line was the same colour as the control line on the OPK on CD 12, it means that ovulation is imminent. Which does correspond to the rise on CD 13. However, unfortunately there are several indicators not just the +OPK. Watch your chart over the next few days. You will see a pattern.

Good luck - sorry I'm no expert.
August 26th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Veteran
Yes, I know...unfortunately I've been at this for years.

I USED to get a +OPK every month on CD 12 like clockwork, and my temp would rise on CD 15, but alas those days are gone. I am wondering if things have gone awry and for some reason it's taking longer for LH to get into my urine or something...oh, who knows.

I slept with the window open and woke up half frozen which botched my temp (I was dreaming about being stuck in an ice storm)...we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks for your reply.
August 26th, 2008, 05:35 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to BeckyM
TTC can be so frustrating!! Hopefully the next few days temps will give you some more answers. Good Luck & I hope to see your BFP soon!!!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
August 26th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Thanks.

But as I said, I got my usual temp shift already (yesterday/ Sunday) despite getting a +OPK that same day. That is what's confusing me. Had I O'd on CD 12, why would I get a +OPK on CD 12 and 13 (and not the 10th or 11th)?

As a rule, my temps are at or about 97.3 pre-ovulation, then they shoot up to 98 or above overnight, and stay that way til the day before AF. According to my temps, I've already O'd somewhere in there. Also, I keep track of stuff and never ever O past day 14 for some reason.

My temps never drop on the day of ovulation, so I can't go by that. Neither can I go by EWCM, as unfortunately I no longer get any (already tried the cough syrup, EPO, etc.)...I guess this happens with age. I was only able to conceive my last by (TMI sorry) injecting raw egg white.

AF last came Tuesday August 12th and is due Tuesday September 9th (made a blooper in my post).

Thanks ladies for trying to help...[/b]

Injecting raw egg white?? That's the first I've ever heard of it. If I may ask, did you read that somewhere or did your doctor tell you that'd work?

I hope your temps are doing better and things aren't quite as confusing for you. All of us are only trying to help with whatever non-medical knowledge we've got, what we've read and what we've experienced.

Good Luck!! Maybe this confusing cycle will be the one for you!!

August 27th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Veteran
The book Taking Charge of Your Fertility says raw egg white is a suitable substance for women who don't make enough quality EWCM on their own, as it is alkaline and sperm-friendly. I had been buying Preseed but that got quite costly, and then I admit I had a hard time getting it where I think it had to go (the applicator can get slippery).

Eggs are cheaper, but I guess we have to be concerned a wee bit about infection (so far, I've been lucky). I use a turkey baster, and no, my doctor doesn't know anything about it because she might think I was nuts. I often think I'm nuts, myself.

Temps are the same, thanks for your reply.
August 27th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It'd be worth a shot at trying, a little worried about the infection part. I agree, if I told my doctor that she'd probably think I was nuts too!!

I hope everything's all better with your temps and that the confusion is going away. Take care and tons of to you!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search