Log In Sign Up

RE appt. update (kinda long)xposted


Forum: Trying to Conceive Older Members

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Older Members LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
April 23rd, 2009, 02:43 PM
Kellica's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 945
First of all, thank you all for the well wishes. It's so nice to have so much support. I'm glad to know all of you.

So, my visit went well. We talked about from the start of ttc until now. He does not feel that the clomid is to blame for my late of AF. He feels I am just having an annovulatory(sp) cycle. He also feels that because of the blood work I've had already and the results were all normal, that this is kinda just unexplained infertility. My three options are another round of clomid, injectables or IVF.

Clomid - Up it to 150mg from 50mg. Big jump in dose but he feels since it did nothing on 50mg he would go right to 150mg. 8% chance of conceiving 7% chance of twins.

Injectables - 15-20% chance of conceiving with 25-30% chance of twins

IVF - 50-60% chance of conceiving (40% with only 1 embryo) and less chance of twins

I also had a visit with my endocrinologist for my diabetes(who I see regularly) yesterday and my thyroid levels were in the normal range, but she said I cannot chance having multiples due to my diabetes. My body would not be able to handle it.

So, if I choose the clomid, this could take several cycles, not sure how many eggs would be released and risk of side effects(cycts). I'm not opting for injectables, and if I choose IVF we can get the ball rolling alot faster and it will be more controlled(were waiting to see what insurance covers)

I'm pretty sure I will be trying the IVF route. My periods can tend to be irregular, I'm about to turn 40 in June, I have hypothyroidism and I've been type 1 diabetic for 26 years.

I'm going for blood work tomorrow and based on that he will give me provera. He said even if I just spot after that, that is enough for him to start me on bcp for the beginning of IVF. He's looking at a June cycle.

So that is it. I was happy with the visit and felt everthing was explained very well to me and DF. DF has a concern because he feels that since IVF is not a "natural" conception that it would lead to the baby having problems. He thinks this way because his twin DS's are IVF babies (now 7) and they have had some developmental issues and still do and they have ADD and ADHD. I've never heard of the connection with those issues and IVF. If anyone want's to add there in please do. Thanks again for all your help and support!
__________________
Gail
Reply With Quote
  #2  
April 23rd, 2009, 03:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,389
Hi Gail,

Sounds like a positive appointment with plenty of options! Percentage-wise, it looks like IVF is a good route for you, also with the other factors involved. Would you opt to have one embryo only put back for IVF due to risk of multiples with your diabetes?
__________________
Lenore

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
April 23rd, 2009, 03:44 PM
trainermom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,801
Bless your heart, Gail, you certainly have a lot to think about with these options. I would've chosen IVF if in your situation as well. As for developmental issues/ADHD and IVF, I've never heard of that. I will say that with twins/multiples, the chances of premature delivery are much higher and you might run into some developmental issues as a result. You just never know. I have a good friend who has twins -they were born at 28 weeks and are truly miracle babies. One has cerebral palsy and the other one has some developmental problems that they are still trying to work out. They were deprived of oxygen at delivery and had a host of other issues that landed them in the NICU -she almost lost one of them twice. I mention this story because these babies were NOT conceieved via IVF -hope that helps give a little perspective.

So, here's hoping that AF comes on soon with the Provera and you and DF can get on with the IVF! Good luck -very exciting!
__________________







Reply With Quote
  #4  
April 23rd, 2009, 04:51 PM
Teeniemama's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South
Posts: 630
This sounds like good news, and it sounds like a researched, informed plan which I LIKE very much.
__________________
xoxo Betsy






Reply With Quote
  #5  
April 23rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
KDD's Avatar
KDD KDD is offline
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 16,068
It sounds like you had a good appt and addressed several options. I agree that IVF may be your best route to a faster BFP. I hope that your insurance will cover the cost.

I don't know about any developmental issues associated with IVF.
__________________
Missing our Angel since April 11, 2008
Reply With Quote
  #6  
April 24th, 2009, 03:29 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 12,034
It sounds like a great appointment, and very informative. I think I would choose IVF route to. I also have not heard of a connection between IVF and developmental problems. I hope AF shows for you soon, and you can begin the process to get your BFP!!
__________________

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
April 24th, 2009, 05:24 AM
boysmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,732
Sounds like a great appointment. I hope the insurance covers your IVF as it seems like the best route for you. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
April 24th, 2009, 07:14 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 16,621
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I'm glad you had a good appointment! I think in your case I also would have chosen IVF. I have not heard of a connection between IVF and problems either. I agree with Heather though, multiples do carry a higher risk, so that could be the correlation that he is making.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #9  
April 24th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 5,579
Gail, it sounds like it was a great appointment! I really hate the term "unexplained infertility"....that's what we got too. With all of the issues that you have going on and the percentages of multiples, I think the IVF route would be the safest and the quickest to a BFP. Hopefully, the insurance will cover a large majority, or all, of the cost of the IVF. As for the connection between developmental issues and IVF, I too have never heard of anything. I know the internet can be a dangerous place to research, but it can also be an amazing tool if used "with a grain of salt" in some cases....but google it and see if you can come up with anything that can help reassure DF's mind about all of it. Stick with sites that lean towards major medical facilities.....the Mayo Clinic, John Hopkin's, etc. Good Luck! And, I hope you get to start your IVF in June along with your birthday! What a great birthday present that'd be!
__________________










Reply With Quote
  #10  
April 25th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Rie's Avatar
Rie Rie is offline
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 5,226
Sounds like a great appt. GOOD LUCK
__________________





Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:36 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0