43, 2 miscarriages, considering ivf...any advice?

Forum: Trying to Conceive Older Members

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By L-SBB

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Older Members LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 6th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Hi,
I am new to this board. I posted a few months ago in the miscarriage boards after my first loss, but shortly after became pregnant again.

I am so glad to have a virtual community to turn to (I read these board a lot, but have posted only a little).

So, I am 43 now and conceived twice this year, both ending in miscarriage at 9 1/2 an 8 1/2 weeks. I am waiting for AF, as I miscarried 3 weeks ago. This week I went for a preliminary visit at a renown fertility clinic in NY. They saw follicles waiting to be released, in 48 or so hours, they said. I also had EWCM around that time. We, of course, BDed, though I felt like I was sabotaging the ivf that could make a healthy baby, as I have been miscarrying...

My questions are manifold:
1. Will ivf help my chances of not miscarrying again? I don't understand how it might be any healthier than our embryos that implant and survive, only to not have a heartbeat later.
2. Since I can get pregnant, should I continue to just try, hoping to get a good egg?
I am doing acupuncture and herbs and living healthy (though I have been a bit of a drown my sorrows hedonist in the weeks since miscarriage)

The price of ivf is certainly prohibitive, and I am also looking into an "ivf vacation" where you travel to Cancun for instance, and the costs are 1/3 of US prices, but my partner has huge reservations about medical tourism.

Does anyone know about that?

Thank you. I wish baby dust to you all!
October 6th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tinky
I do not know a whole lot about the medical side of TTC.I hate to say that. I hate to say it because i want to be of help to you and because I have a very very dear friend who has gone through it. I was there for her everyday but didnt have the slightest idea as to what the in and outs were. i can give you the basics as to what they finally decided was the issue and what finally helped her to conceieve and acrry to term. She had to be on steroids after conception. I don't know why either. I can ask her. She is part of JM, maybe she can even come and explain things better than my bumbling self can!

Robert 17,
Heaven-Leigh 15
(TL 1.11.98)
(TR 10.26.06)
Raymond 5
Alexavier 3
Stoney 2
Korbyn 28 week miracle 5/17/13
October 8th, 2012, 06:38 AM
LauraTTCat42's Avatar Proud Host TTC-OM
I am not personally experienced with IVF and for that I am sorry I can't give you any advice. However your doctor in my opinion needs to get to the root cause (if there is one) for the continiuous m/c.

Personal experience: I battled to have a successful pregnancy before I had my son. I had conception problems due to the PCOS and when I did get pregnant I battled to stay pregnant. Most of my losses occured in the 1st trimester between 8 weeks - 11w5days. My dr insisted on performing a D&C with the last loss before my son and when he did he discovered 2 problems. 1 was low progesterone levels, the other more serious problem was strep, which is a common organism that normally lies dormant in the moist areas of our bodies (nasal cavaties, throats, cervix). In my case whenever I get pregnant the strep organisms in my throat start and then the strep on my cervix becomes active, it moves through my system and it is strictly pregnancy related for me. When I get pregnant I have to spend 6 weeks on then 6 weeks off with an antibiotic and penicillin concoction. It's not good on my body but I do have 2 healthy children so it works for me.

There is no way to say this is what is happening to you, but I would have never known without having my dr try so hard for us.

The price of IVF can be quite a put off and I am not so sure about the medical holidays? I think there is a type of IVF where they can do something to ensure the quality of the egg and sperm but it is like super duper expensive???

Good luck, I really hope you get answers soon and please keep us posted

Jun/July2012 - Cycle 11 started charting
October 8th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Laura is that the same thing that some women have to have antibiotics during delivery for or is it different?

Robert 17,
Heaven-Leigh 15
(TL 1.11.98)
(TR 10.26.06)
Raymond 5
Alexavier 3
Stoney 2
October 8th, 2012, 12:31 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
First off, i'm very sorry for your losses A few questions for you:

1) were either of your losses tested (do you have a confirmed cause of loss for either)?

2) have you had any RPL (recurrent pregnancy loss) tests been run on you?

3) Has your AMH level been tested by RE or OB?

The answer to your first question about IVF really is impossible to answer without some info on questions 1 & 2...question 3 would give you more info on your ovarian reserve but should also be bumped up against what RE is seeing each cycle in terms of follie development to help you answer your second question.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation in that I've had multiple losses, in my case 3 are unknown (no testing done), 1 is a confirmed Trisomy loss, and I have flagged 2 issues on RPL tests (both blood clotting related). IVF is only going to help if you can't otherwise get pregnant yourself, or in some limited circumstances if your losses are related to something that can be corrected through IVF procedures (most notably if you or husband have a translocation issue that is causing your losses). Egg donor + IVF is sometimes only solution to certain type of genetic loss issues. I understand there's a limited ability to do genetic testing through IVF, but what my RE explained to me is that essentially they take a cell and assess whether it's normal vs abnormal (but does not give a lot of detail, for example, confirm trisomy, etc)...but something like 20% of abnormal tested cells can still result in a healthy pregnancy (and vice versa, normal cell test doesn't guarantee a healthy baby) so I guess it helps you try to guess at which to implant but doesn't sound like it would prevent a m/c from a chromosomal or genetic issue. IVF doesn't help at all if your loss issues are tied to another RPL issue (like blood clotting) - you'd need to identify if you had any and then explore treatment options related to those first so a plan was in place once you got pregnant again.

IVF has also been presented to me as an option to consider for "short cutting" the TTC process if it takes you a long time to get pregnant (so a 2-3 month IVF process could be helpful if on your own it takes you normally 6-12 months, just as an example) and that's something to consider even if it won't help you prevent a future m/c.

For whatever it's worth, we're continuing to try on our own (no IVF) for the time being since we're generally able to get pregnant quickly but if that were to change over the next year we'll definitely look at IVF. I have no expectation though that IVF will prevent potential m/c for me at least. We do RE monitored cycles w/Femara + trigger shot (Ovidrel), and then progesterone & baby aspirin (part of my RPL treatment plan).

Good luck to you - KUP on what you decide to do! If you do pursue IVF, or even if you just stay under RE care to monitor your cycles, I've found a lot of very knowledgable ladies over on the TTCMA board here on JM as well who can help answer questions for you on treatment & tests available.
Tinky likes this.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
October 8th, 2012, 11:24 PM
LauraTTCat42's Avatar Proud Host TTC-OM
Rachael I get strep throat which turns into strep pneumonia, a group A strep. To my knowledge the one that is treated before delivery is a group B strep which is a different strain of bacteria and not related.

I don't know how common the group A strep condition I have is, but basically I don't get strep pneumonia unless I am pregnant.

Lara it is good to see you here and thank you for replying to Adriessa's post, You answered a few questions about IVF that I have also been wondering about.

Jun/July2012 - Cycle 11 started charting
October 9th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks to you both for making me that much smarter today and for helping my new friend out <3

Robert 17,
Heaven-Leigh 15
(TL 1.11.98)
(TR 10.26.06)
Raymond 5
Alexavier 3
Stoney 2
October 10th, 2012, 09:11 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
Rachael - i've heard prednisone is sometimes used proactively where the RPL issue is tied to a suspected auto-immune issue...I hope it helps your friend with her next pregnancy.

Laura - I have heard of the strep issue you experience (it's fairly rare no?)...that must be rough taking so much antibotics. I'll definitely try to swing in here more, I used to be a regular in this group but have been spending more time in TTCAL with the string of losses we've had. I don't know much on IVF front beyond some questions I asked RE after most recent loss (I wanted to know if going IVF route could help me prevent another loss due to chromosomal issues), but if we end up pursuing that in the next year I'll definitely share whatever I find out.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)

Tags
ivf , ivf vacation , miscarriage , older moms , ttc

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search