Aggravated! X-Posted Update :)

Forum: Trying to Conceive Older Members

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vickyblueeyes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Older Members LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 22nd, 2013, 05:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Update: I just wanted to let those of you who read and responded to this thread that the nurse (same one!) was able to draw blood today I drank so much water yesterday and today that I feel like I could just float away lol. Now I just have to wait and see what they find out about my hormones. I am a little worried because this is the first cycle that my bb's didn't hurt right after O like they usually do. As a matter of fact they haven't been sore at all this cycle. I hope that doesn't mean I am not producing enough progesterone. Thank you ladies for all of the support you have given me . I sincerely hope that we all get our 's soon!!!!!!

So I went this afternoon to get blood taken to have my hormone levels checked. First off let me say that I intensely dislike needles and I do not like getting my blood taken! The nurse gets the needle in my arm just fine, I barely felt that part but when she couldn't get blood to start flowing she started tapping/pushing or something and OWWW it hurt!

I wasn't watching what she was doing, I can't or I would probably pass out! When she took the needle out she said there wasn't any blood on my arm at all. She asked me if I felt ok and I said that I did but just a few seconds later I started getting very sick to my stomach. So she told me to take deep breaths by inhaling through my nose and exhaling out of my mouth. I did that for about 2-3 minutes and then I felt better.

So once I get to feeling better she goes around to my other arm and starts messing with it and asks if I am ready for her to poke it to get blood. I didn't realize that she wasn't able to get blood from the other arm until this time (because I wasn't watching!). I asked her if she would be able to get blood from it and she said she didn't know. While we were talking she was trying to find a vein and she wasn't able to. I told her that I hadn't had a lot to drink today and did she think that was why she couldn't get any blood. She said that it probably was.

I have never had this happen before. Any time I have had blood drawn, the nurses were always able to get it. I thought I had drank plenty of fluids yesterday because I was running to the bathroom a lot to pee!! Sorry for the Anyway we decided to have me come back Thurs afternoon to get my blood taken. The nurse told me to drink lots of fluids tomorrow and Thurs before I come back.

It just makes me aggravated at myself for not drinking enough water. It is also aggravating that I drove an hour and a half to get there and now I have to make the trip again! I was at school (college) all day and I had to drive from there to my clinic. Hopefully the nurse can get blood on Thurs!!!

Thanks for letting me vent I feel better now that I got it off of my chest.

Last edited by katydae88; January 24th, 2013 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Updated
January 22nd, 2013, 10:33 PM
Super Mommy
hi hun hope you feeling less stressed. i have same problem with the blood tests ,never heard it being lack of fluids tho, and i drink loads ,i always pre warn the nurses that i dont like giving blood away and to use the other arm ,some times they can get blood sometimes not lol , and yes it hurts !!! all that digging around in your arm lol , hope next time it goes a lot better for you ,and you give your blood away if not ask them to go in through your hand ,hurts like hell but blood flows better ,well does for me , good luck hun .
katydae88 likes this.

I am 39 and DH is 40, we have 5 kids

George 15

Lexie 14

Lenny 11

Billy 7

Ellie 3

Trying for number 6 but will be number one with DH

DH Kids

Andrew 20

Holly 18

Amelia 4
January 23rd, 2013, 04:47 AM
Celine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What? No blood in the arm? I have heard of veins collapsing but not that there was no blood in the arm. Was the nurse new? Maybe ask for a different nurse to draw your blood.I have never heard that if you haven't drank enough that there won't be blood in your arm.

Sorry for the waste of your time.

And sorry the nurse wasn't very good at blood drawing and hope you don't have bruises all over the arm. GL for next time.

Last edited by Celine; January 23rd, 2013 at 05:01 AM.
January 24th, 2013, 04:59 AM
LauraTTCat42's Avatar Proud Host TTC-OM
What a waste of time, sheesh, sorry to hear that!

Is the lady you saw a phlebotomist or just a nurse/lab tech? I had problems a few times with blood draws when I lived in the states and the one lab tech told me to always ask for the phlebotomist to draw the blood and not a nurse or lab tech. Not sure if it is still the same way??

Jun/July2012 - Cycle 11 started charting

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search