A Gimp 2 Tutorial on chasing border and miscellaneous

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blinkie Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 25th, 2008, 07:03 PM
luvmykidz's Avatar Veteran
Okay this is my tutorial on making chasing borders. I hope I am able to explain this correctly, but if there are any questions, feel free to ask! Mind you I just started GIMP the other day and I am not nearly as experienced as other members here, but I am a quick learner and hopefully we can all learn how to make awesome blinkies soon!

The first step is to open the GIMP program and go to <file><new> to create a new image. I set my dimensions to 150x50 but you can make them longer or smaller if you like.

Once you have your new document created, the next thing to do is fill your document with color. Select the color you want to use and find the paint bucket to fill the area with. Then duplicate the layer (select the layer and right click, then select 'duplicate layer') and you should now have two layers. This is also a good time to zoom in on your box by selecting <view><zoom> then make it at least zoomed in by 400% so you can see what you are doing.

<span style="color:#000000">
After that, click on the little eyeball next to one of the layers shown in the top right hand box. It makes one of the layers invisible.

<span style="color:#000000">
<span style="color:#000000">Then in the brushes section, select the second to the last one listed. You can set the spacing as needed in a little bit. </span>
</span>
Now you will need to configure your grid which will guide you in making the chasing borders. You need to go to <image><configure grid> and change the foreground color to black.

Then change the spacing to 5 (you can use any number really but the brush spacing will need to be changed so that when you have the grid up, the squares will fit inside the grid marks) and click OK. Also you will need to flip the color using the double arrows next to the color and change it to whatever color you want as long as it is different from the original color.

To get the grid to show up for you, go to <view><show grid> and it will display the grid for you. Now you are ready to start the chase! Make sure the gray section highlighted on your layer is also the same one as the eyeball or you won't see any changes being made. Select the pencil tool and start at the first grid mark on the left and click it, making sure it lines up with your grid lines, then skip every other one until you have gone all the way around.

Now you need to basically switch the eyeballs so you can start on the other layer which was invisible before. You will not see your other markings you just made once you select the layer. On this layer, you will do the same thing as before only skip the first block and start in the second one.

(Hint: A way you can tell you did this correctly is to click the eyeball multiple times until you see the "chasing" in between the layers. The layer would have to be highlighted first and then you can see the "chase" between them.)

Create text by selecting the 'A' tool or text tool in the toolbox and change the color to something different. I also selected the 'center' justification. Don't worry if it doesn't fit right in the image yet as we can change that in a minute. Type what you want in the box, highlight it and change the text to change the size. It will be okay to write everything out as it will automatically 'wrap' to the next line.

(Hint: You can fix the text to fit into the image by clicking onto any of the 'boxes' on all sides and top and bottom of the text and drag it to where you want the text to fit.)

Once your text is finished, duplicate it and turn the eyeball off on the text layer you just finished. It will just have an empty area to type on. Don't make any changes as it is set from the previous layer and write new text in here. This way your text will always line up from one frame to the next!

Now move the text layer you just finished down in between the two background layers. Then click on the top text layer and right click your mouse down to 'merge down' It will combine the text layer and the background layer together. Do it for the other text and background layer too so you will have two layers in the layer screen.

Next, you will need to go to <filters><animation> then <optimize (for GIF)>. It will pop up with another window displaying your work. This is the window where you will save your image.

Click <file><save as> and in the name what you want to save it as. Then click on the plus sign next to Select File Type (by Extension) and find the .GIF extension. If it isn't saved as a .GIF it will not animate. Once that is done, It will pop up another window.

Click next to 'Set as Animation' and then click on 'Convert to Indexed using default settings (Do it manually to tune the result)', the click 'Export.'

It will then pop up another box. The delay section is where you will be able to slow it down or speed it up depending on your needs.

<div align="left">**I must say though I needed to add several extra frames in because I couldn't slow down the frames no matter what number was put in. So I duplicated each of the original layers multiple times (evenly between the two frames) and saved it again, slowing down the speed each time. That is something that has to be played around with a bit to get it right. You can see below the multiple copies I had to make in order to slow everything down.**</div>
<div align="left"></div>
<div align="left">Here is the final look of the finished product. Let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them!</div>
<div align="left"></div>
<div align="left"> </div>
</span>

November 25th, 2008, 07:15 PM
jacob&#39;smom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to jacob&#39;smom Send a message via Yahoo to jacob&#39;smom
great job!

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left">
</MARQUEE>
November 25th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks! It took all day! I hope it helps some.

November 25th, 2008, 10:26 PM
jacob&#39;smom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to jacob&#39;smom Send a message via Yahoo to jacob&#39;smom
look!!!!!! yea!!!!! thank you sooo much!!!

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left">
</MARQUEE>
November 26th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Yeah! WTG! You did it!

February 18th, 2009, 08:53 PM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
I just followed these instructions and they're great! WTG!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search