GIMP Tutorial - Save time with the flip feature

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blinkie Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2010, 07:28 PM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
I've gotten a few questions about how to save time making blinkies. One trick that I LOVE and that really speeds things up is the flip feature. This tutorial is good for beginner blinkie makers or users who are new to GIMP.

The best part of a blinkie is the blinking border (why else would we call them blinkies? ) This is a quick tip to help you make your border quickly so that you can focus on cute clip art, fonts, or animations inside. Instead of creating separate layers to use as your blinking border, this tool allows you to duplicate one border and just flip it - you are blinking in a couple clicks instead of the time it takes to make a brand new border.

1. Create a new image in GIMP. You can make it whatever size you want your blinkie to be - I like mine to be 150x50.

2. With your new image created, fill it with whatever color you like. Then create a grid to follow for your blinkies. Click Image -> Configure Grid.

3. I like my borders fast, so I always size my grid to 5 pixels. If you want slower bigger borders, make your grid size larger.

4. Once you have your grid to follow, pick your blinking border color and your brush size, and alternate filling the boxes around the blinkie. I put dark blue over light blue on this blinkie. At this point you will have only ONE layer (see the layers menu on the right hand side.)

5. In the layers menu click the duplicate layers button at the bottom of the menu (it looks like two little screens together.) You will end up with an identical layer. Your layers menu will show 2 layers now.

6. Select the "flip" tool from the Toolbox menu (it looks like a book, open, with a two way arrow over it). Move your cursor over the new layer you have created and click. GIMP will flip your layer right over. You can test this by clicking the eye next to your new layer - if you click on and off the eye your blinkie will blink and show how it will look once it is animated. I also suggest you rename your layers - I like "on" and "off". With names, it's much easier to put in a bunch of duplicated layers once you have your blinking pattern established and still keep them in order.

Now you can carry on with your design!
May 17th, 2010, 12:17 AM
143SDM's Avatar Mom to 3 kiddos!
Problem....ok, so I followed your directions and I did good til step 6. I clicked on the flip then on the "background copy" (didn't change names yet) and then clicked on the eye and nothing changed. Could I have went wrong somewhere without noticing it? The blocks are every other one and look just like yours...idk what I did! I was so excited that it was gonna work and then it didn't Any advice would be great. Thanks!!

Thank you so much to Mom2*Lauren*Jacob* for my beautiful siggy

March 2nd, 2011, 06:33 PM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by 143SDM View Post
Problem....ok, so I followed your directions and I did good til step 6. I clicked on the flip then on the "background copy" (didn't change names yet) and then clicked on the eye and nothing changed. Could I have went wrong somewhere without noticing it? The blocks are every other one and look just like yours...idk what I did! I was so excited that it was gonna work and then it didn't Any advice would be great. Thanks!!

When you had the flip tool, did you actually click on the image or just the icon in the layers box... You have to right click on the image. Only thing that I can think of, but I am no pro.
Here is what I came up with.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search