GIMP tutorial - fading blinkie

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blinkie Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2010, 01:59 PM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
This tutorial uses common GIMP techniques including layer effects. It also uses the Animation menu (listed under "Filters".) It is best suited to somebody who is pretty comfortable with GIMP.

Okay, here's what you're going to make today:

Once you are comfortable with the Blend tool we're going to use you can always add more layers and images to be included in the animation.

1. Create three identical layers. One layer is for the first line of text, one is for the second line of text, and one is for the base that you'll animate from. I made mine with the gradient tool, but you can do whatever you want.

2. Create your text. Make sure that the order of your layers goes like this:
2nd line of text - blank layer - first line of text - blank layer - blank layer
You may find it useful to rename your text layers to match what they actually say. Now is a good time to do whatever enhancements or layer effects you want to do to your text layers as well.

3. Merge your text layers onto their blank layers. Now your layers are going to go like this:
text layer merged with blank layer - text layer merged with blank layer - blank layer
Name your layers to match the text they say. The bottom layer should be called "start".

4. Okay, now we're going to animate. Click Filters -> Animation -> Blend.

5. The blend settings window will pop up. Make your settings the same as mine (this time - I will explain more on this later on.) Intermediate frames = 20 and max. blur radius = 1. Click OK. GIMP will think for a while and will generate a new unnamed image for you.

6. When you have the new unnamed image created (it will just pop up) test out the blend settings by clicking on Filters -> Animation -> Playback. You'll get a little player of your image. Click play to see how it will look once you save it as a .gif.

If you like it, go to the unnamed image GIMP created for you, and save as a .gif like any other blinkie.

If you want to speed it up, go back to the very first version you made, click on Filters -> Animation -> Blend, and change the settings to show a smaller number for Intermediate frames.

If you want to slow it down, change the blend settings to have a higher number for Intermediate frames.

Essentially, the more frames you have the slower it goes and the better the quality. It will be smoother with a higher number of frames than with a smaller number.

Let's see what you've got! Post 'em here!
March 2nd, 2010, 01:38 AM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
here is mine. i didnt do anything fancy or pretty it up, just simple.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

March 5th, 2010, 05:44 AM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
Looks great!
March 2nd, 2011, 04:43 PM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda

mine is super slow, will try again later, i accidently deleted the first one before I realized it was so slow

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
March 2nd, 2011, 06:55 PM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Thank you so much for posting this tutorial!!!
Here is a better one...

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
March 3rd, 2011, 10:07 AM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
stunning!!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search