Blog-Style Blinkies: Moving Boards

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blinkie Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
First I pick a free three-column blog template that I've downloaded from the internet (or you can make your own). I also open my file of wood samples as my background for the moving tile.

(Please forgive the picture qualities on the next pictures... my screenshot option started acting funky, so I had to take these pictures with my camera, haha)

Next, I move the blog picture to my new 150x50 file, then I scale it down so that it fits. A good part of the picture gets cut off, but that's ok.

Then I use my rectangular marquee and pick one of my wood samples and select a portion:

Copy and paste the rectangle you just selected onto the blinkie, then resize it to the desired size:

To give it some more depth an dimension (so it doesn't look so 2-dimensional), I like to add an inner glow that is a few shades darker than the actual image. Then I drop the shadow (in this blinkie, I did change the shadow colour... sometimes the default- black- just doesn't go well with the image colours, I changed it to dark green... just so it's noticeable, but not clashing):

Next, I add an image to the side (or corners) of the rectangle, just to soften it up. I picked a random image from my library (it was a free vector image I found on google), changed the colour of it to match the blinkie... then I deleted the background (by selecting all white areas and pressing delete). Then I copied, pasted, and resized it on the rectangle. I also added an outer glow, because I couldn't see the blue design on the green background. Adding the outer glow made it visible:

Then I added the text:

And the text not on the moving tile:

Now, to make it so that the moving tile goes BEHIND the two outer columns, I select the middle area (I wasn't "perfect" in this example with selecting... but it's just a sample blinkie, lol. I also would have de-selected the little designs that overlap the columns... if this were a real blinkie I was making).

Then I copy the selection. Delete. Paste. Then I reorder the layers so that the side columns are on top, and the middle column is on bottom. All other layers in between:

Next, I do the movement. I like to start backwards, that way the moving tile ends exactly where I want it to and I don't have to guess how many nudges to do in each animation layer. In this case, I linked the wood tile, the decorative accent, and the words... then I nudged it right 5 times and down 10 times in each animation layer until all that was left was a little sliver. Next, I reorganized the layers correctly (so that the layer with just the sliver is first):

I do the same thing to the "sample!" letters. I make sure it's behind the tile and nudged it just three times in each animation layer.

Finally, I changed the speed to .2 seconds for each animation layer, except for the last one, which I made 1 full second.

Here's the finished product:

Not perfect, but it gets the point across.

I hope that helped!

January 30th, 2011, 10:22 AM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Niamh, thank you so much for this tutorial!!!!!

i cannot wait to try some of these techniques!!!!!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

January 30th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
I wanna see some of the blinkies you make!

January 30th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Mamma J's Avatar Proud Navy Wife & SAHM
Yay, thanks Niamh!!!

February 11th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
thanks i'm going to try ..i don't think i'm going to get it but i'm going to try it lol

EDee

what program was used to do this tutorial ?
February 11th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Photoshop CS3.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search