GIMP - Lesson One

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blinkie Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2007, 02:48 PM
SPinkD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to SPinkD
No Frills Gimp Blinkie

1) Download Gimp Here. You will need the first file that says "The Gimp for Windows" and then the GTK+ 2 Runtime Environment that correlates with the version of Windows you have.

2) Open Gimp. Depending on if you have used Gimp before, different "windows" will open, but I will show you which ones you need to keep open and how to open them if you don't have them.

3) Create a new document. 150 x 20 PIXELS and fill with white. See picture for details.

4) Now we will make sure you have all the right windows or dialog boxes open. You will need your "document" window, Layers and a Color Pallete. See picture for details.

5) After selecting the pallete dialog. Chose the color scheme that you think you want to work with. Double click on it and another box full of colors should appear. You can then close out the original pallete box that you opened and just move the new one somewhere where it won't be in the way.

6) Select the color that you want for your background. I selected pink. Click on your paint bucket tool, go over to your document (this is the first time we have done anything with this window). Click your paint bucket inside the document, you should see the blinkie change to the color you selected.

7) Now, select the text tool I showed you above. You will then also need to choose a different color for your text, by clicking on the text color box. Then, click on your document and another window will pop up where you can type your text.

8) Use your move tool, as I pointed out above to move your text around your blinkie so that it is centered. I haven't found a better way to do this, so you will just kinda need to eyeball it. You can click back down on your background layer briefly, so the box around your text will disappear and you get a better look, then click back on the text layer to move again if you aren't satisfied. You will move it around by clicking and dragging on your document, or clicking on your document and nudging with the arrow keys on your keyboard. You will then need to duplicate that text layer. See picture below.

9) Click on the duplicated text layer then back on your text tool. After you have the text tool selected, if you click on the text on your document, it should pull the text dialog box up again. Highlight the text and change the color to something other than what you selected the first time. This should change the color of your text.

10) Now just like we duplicated the text layer, we need to dupliate the background color layer. So now, you should have a total of 4 layers. Arrange layers so they are text, background, text background, by clicking and dragging to that position.

When selecting to merge visable it will ask you exactly how you want to do it, choose clip to image.
After you have the top two layers merged, you will need to repeat with the bottom two, making sure the bottom two layers are the only two layers visable and your newly merged layer is invisable.

11) There you go, we are ready to "animate". In your document window choose FILTERS > ANIMATION > OPTIMIZE FOR GIF. This will pop up a new document box, not exactly sure why that is necessary. You will also notice in your layers pallete it has added new text to the title of your layers. Change the number beside the "ms" to something higher than the 100. I think you just need to double click on it to get a text cursor to appear. I changed mine to 1000ms...do this on both layers. What this does is adjust the speed at which your blinkie blinks. I think 1000 works pretty good for the blinkie we are making.

12) In the new document box it opened...go to FILE > SAVE AS and save it somewhere on your computer you can find. You will need to save it as whateveryounameit.gif

13) After you save as, it will bring another box up. Choose the settings below and then hit EXPORT.

14) Next...choose the settings below in the box it pops up, hit okay and you are done!

15) Find the file on your computer and upload to photobucket.com. You should see your animation there! There is a way to see it in GIMP, but we will get to that in a later lesson.

Let's see how you did!

Thank you RaspberryBeret for my gorgeous siggy!

October 14th, 2007, 09:17 PM
LauraS214's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
for some reason it won't let me change the 100...when i change it...and go to change the other one it goes right back to 100!! do you know how to fix this?

EDIT:
I GOT IT! haha

Expecting a baby GIRL on 09.19.13

October 15th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Julz81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Julz81 Send a message via Yahoo to Julz81
Here's mine

BFP: 04/03/2014 EDD: 12/15/2014 HB: 04/30/14 (75bpm) MC: 5/2/2014 (natural)

October 16th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Woo hoo!!! You go girls!! Ya make me proud!

October 19th, 2007, 06:21 PM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
ok, im an idiot and can't even DL those things right...
˛ married to matt ˛
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
˛

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I ♥ triathlon, running & hot yoga!
October 19th, 2007, 09:29 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Oh! I made one, it isn't that special, but:

October 22nd, 2007, 04:02 AM
Soup Dragon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OK, I had a go. I'm quite pleased, to say it's my first attempt.

October 24th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Great job guys! Val...if you wanna give it another go around...you can always shoot me a PM and I can try to help you with whatever is catching you up.

January 15th, 2008, 08:40 AM
bunni0407's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to bunni0407
I tried several times and I still cant get it.

*Thank you misfitinmn for my amazing siggy*

February 11th, 2008, 05:35 PM
*~*Lindsey*~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to *~*Lindsey*~* Send a message via Yahoo to *~*Lindsey*~*
I out right STINK! I can't figure this out! I have tried to do siggys over and over and now I thought blinkies would be easier and I still can't get it! What am I not understanding or not getting? HELP! I don't even know what I am not getting.....
February 19th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Kit Kat's Avatar Photoshop Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to Kit Kat
Quote:
I out right STINK! I can't figure this out! I have tried to do siggys over and over and now I thought blinkies would be easier and I still can't get it! What am I not understanding or not getting? HELP! I don't even know what I am not getting.....[/b]
Where are you getting stuck?

March 7th, 2008, 03:56 AM
itsymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to itsymama
Holy crap I finally did it ! Go me go me .

Here's the 1st one

And the 2nd one

Yay , now I can go to bed lol .

Brandon Michael Born By Cesarean 8-3-04 ~ Hannah Elizabeth Born By Natural VBAC 1-14-08 ~ Surprise Baby Love Due 1-18-11

March 7th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Alright....my first try at this....I did something wrong, but it still looks pretty cool!

March 14th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Alright....my first try at this....I did something wrong, but it still looks pretty cool!

[/b]

Good job!

April 19th, 2008, 07:37 PM
LaLaRose3's Avatar My brand of heroin.
This is my first ever post here But I tried this out tonight for the first time!

I know it is pretty lame, but its the first time I have ever used GIMP.

(NO FACEBOOK, PLEASE!)

April 19th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Quote:
This is my first ever post here But I tried this out tonight for the first time!

I know it is pretty lame, but its the first time I have ever used GIMP.

[/b]

Not lame at all. . .I think you did a great job!

April 20th, 2008, 08:39 PM
LaLaRose3's Avatar My brand of heroin.
Thanks! I still have no idea how to put a border on it, add graphics/pictures... pretty much everything!

(NO FACEBOOK, PLEASE!)

April 22nd, 2008, 05:15 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I think I screwed something up somewhere around merging the layers...
Yeah, it doesn't blink... I'll keep trying!

Okay! Got it! But I forgot to change the speed..

July 29th, 2008, 04:30 AM
ana410ny's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hmmm. .not blinking
August 3rd, 2008, 04:40 AM
CupcakeJamie's Avatar Got Cupcake?
Woohoo!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search