Adding Pictures to a Blinkie

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blinkie Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 18th, 2007, 10:05 AM
SPinkD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to SPinkD
This is just a quick tutorial on how to add pictures to your blinkies.

First of all...you can get pictures from pretty much anywhere. You can do a clip art search or a google image search for the subject you are looking for. I don't have a set place where I get my graphics.

Method 1:
Find a picture you want to use, save it to your computer. Open photoshop, then open the file you want to place in your blinkie. Depending on image you are using, you may notice in the layers pallet of this image that it is "locked". You will first want to go to IMAGE > MODE > RGB (make sure that is the option checked). Then, go to the little lock on the image and double click to remove it. You should be able to edit this image now. Now, if the image you selected has a white background, you can remove it by using your magic wand, but we will get into more detail of that in a later tutorial. Hopefully you have found a transparent image to work with. If not and you don't know how to remove that white background, I would try to find something with a transparent background until you feel more comfortable. Now, just right click on the layer of the image you want on your blinkie and select duplicate layer, it will bring up a box...select the "destination" as the blinkie document you are working with. When you go to your blinkie document, there will be a new layer there with your image. At this time, you can click on that new layer, move it to the right position and then go to EDIT > TRANSFORM and change the size, etc of the image.

Method 2:
Find the image you want to use on your blinkie on the internet, right click and "copy". Go to your blinkie, make a new layer, right click and paste the image directly to your blinkie. This may or may not be the best option, depending on the image you choose. If the image was saved in indexed color, which if it is a .gif, most likely it was, it will put a black background on that image, you can erase that with your magic wand, but it may not look very smooth. Again, you can go to EDIT > TRANSFORM to change the size, etc of this image.

Method 3:
Save the image to your computer. While in your blinkie document, go to FILE > PLACE and select the image document you want, and it will add it to a new layer of your blinkie. You can then automatically change the scale and positioning of the image. Again...it might have a white background if it isn't a transparent image. **NOTE** if you are using older than CS2, this method will be harder to use, as it doesn't let you "PLACE" .gifs and .jpegs...you image will need to be opened in photoshop and then resave it as a .pdf or photoshop document first, which kinda defeats the purpose.

I think those are the basic ways to do it. I generally will use the first option, so I can edit my image before I move it to the blinkie...but there are endless ways to put an image in your blinkie. Hope this helps you all!

ETA: Here is a tutorial on removing white background from images.
http://www.justmommies.com/boards/in...owtopic=571213

Thank you RaspberryBeret for my gorgeous siggy!

October 18th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Alison's Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Yay! I made one!!!

October 19th, 2007, 12:44 PM
SPinkD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to SPinkD
Yay! Great job!

Thank you RaspberryBeret for my gorgeous siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search