Alexis Elizabeth - home water birth, all natural

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 20th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Someone suggested I post my birth story here, so here it is!

So it started at 1:30am on Thursday Sept 18th. I woke up with contractions, and by 3am they were every 10 min or so so I went to wake up DH (we were sleeping in separate beds because I needed ROOM!). I got into bed with him downstairs, and continued to have contractions every 10 min or so until 5am. DH called into work and said he wasn't coming in. At 5am the contractions stopped, so we decided to go for a walk. After that, they still didn't come back. So I went back to bed around 6am. I had random contractions all day on the 18th, nothing I could time. I called the midwife and she came over to check me, because I was curious, and I was only 1cm. So I figured it was false labour. By 8:30pm on the 18th the contractions came back, every 10 min and this time didn't stop. DH and I went to bed at 10pm, and I couldn't lie down. With every contraction I was on my hands and knees in bed, lying down hurt too much. DH went down and got my birthing ball, and I sat on that until the midwives got there. I called the midwives at 2:30am, my contrax were every 5 min for an hour at that point. She told me to take a Gravol, and have a bath and see if they slowed down, if they didn't in an hour, or if they picked up, I was supposed to call her. So I took her advice and took the Gravol and had a bath at 3am on the 19th......the contrax sped up to every 3-4 min....so we called the midwife back. She said that's great, I'm making good progress and she was leaving shortly. She got to my house at 5am, at which point I was checked, and I was 4cm....yay! Active labour! So I laboured on my birth ball until about 7 or 8am, when I decided to get in the bath. The worst was going pee (they kept asking me to go pee!), as soon as I moved I'd get hit with a SUPER bad contraction, and after I was done peeing another one would come and DH would have to help me off the toilet! They were all trying to get me to eat, but I couldn't eat. I was VERY thirsty though and kept drinking water. I'm not sure what time I hit transition, but I knew I needed to be checked again because I was feeling pressure. So she checked me and I was 8cm...yay! I made it through my entire labour with no puking! I was SO terrified of puking! During transition the midwife was feeding me spoonfuls of honey to give me energy because I was SO exhausted I was falling asleep between contrax! I was in SO much pain, but I was dealing with it....with every contrax I needed DH to hold my hand. I got through them with some breathing my midwife asked me to do which helped, and also I would say "ho" all the way through them, which somehow helped. My midwife would pour water over my belly with each contraction which was nice, but started to irritate me as I got closer to 10 so I asked her to stop. Some contractions were so intense I thought I was going to die. Suddenly I started feeling crazy pressure and asked to be checked again, and I was 10cm, this was at 1pm ish on the 19th....they told me I could start pushing. My mom sat on the bathroom counter and held a mirror for me, DH was holding my hand and the midwives would check my babys heart rate with every contrax. I started pushing and couldn't believe how much my body just took over, I don't know where that strength came from. I started feeling stretching and burning inside as the head came down. Soon we saw what looked like the head coming down, but it was actually my bag of waters! I touched it and it felt like a balloon. The head was RIGHT behind it, and when the midwife went in to make sure the cord was not around her neck, the bag burst (though I don't remember this). It was amazing to watch my baby slowing crowning, and when her whole head came out I was SO excited and relieved it was almost over! With the next contraction I pushed, and I remember the midwife rotating the baby's shoulders, or helping her to turn. I felt a weird sensation. I didn't feel the baby slide out, but suddenly there she was, screaming, and DH caught her in the water and put her on my chest. I was AMAZED. She was so perfect and pinked up right away. DH started bawling, I was too stunned to cry. About 5 min after she was born I got a shot of oxytocin in my leg to deliver the placenta, it came out in like a minute! It was SO weird looking! Also, the water in the tub was RED...it was gross, looked like someone had been killed in there! I had a 2nd degree tear that required stitches (that part SUCKED) and some scratches on top. I didn't feel the tear because of the water. Actually the baby coming out didn't hurt nearly as much as I thought it would. So, I had just gone through 18 hours of labour naturally with no drugs, at home!!!!! I needed 2 people to help me out of the tub because I was SO shaky and weak (I hadn't eaten in over 24 hours!). They helped me into bed, covered me up all nice and warm and I held my baby and sat with DH while they stitched me up. It was an amazing feeling. I never thought I could do it, I still can't believe I did it, and I can honestly say it was the most amazing experience of my life and as much as it hurt, I'd do it again.
Alexis Elizabeth
Sept 19 2008, 2:20pm
8lbs 4oz
21 in long

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
October 20th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That sounds like an amazing birth! Congratulations! You're daughter is gorgeous.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
January 6th, 2009, 01:03 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Incredible homebirth story! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search