Josephine Margaret

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Josephine is my third daughter, but my first biological child. I was not expecting to have her so quickly and two weeks before my due date. However, she had her own idea about when and how to arrive.

Monday, Feb. 2 -

10:30 pm: DH and I DTD

11:30 pm: Tummy felt tight and I couldn't sleep, got up to use bathroom. Noticed a bit of blood when wiping. I didn't think much of it because although it had never happened before I know that internals and DTD can cause that, and I had done both (BTW at my morning appointment I was 2cm and 80%)

Tuesday, Feb. 3

12:30 am: I noticed a coming and a going to the discomfort. For the next two hours I dozed on and off. I counted and said the Lord's Prayer duing the tightenings, but still didn't think they were contractions. I guess I figured they were Braxton Hicks, which I hadn't had before.

2:30 am: While lying in bed I felt a gush of water. I wasn't sure if I peed myself but I yelled at DH and told him to get me a towel. Poor guy had been dead asleep. He woke up and brought me a small hand towel. I yelled at him that I needed a bigger towel. He was kind of out of it. I waddled to the bathroom with the small towel between my legs and quickly soaked through a few bath towels. I knew this was my water breaking but didn't know what to do. I knew I was supposed to call my doc, but as I was hoping for a natural childbirth I didn't necessarily want to go in just because my water broke because I know that puts you on a time limit to give birth.

2:45 am: I started having stronger pains and DH started timing them. DH called our doula who told us to call her back when the contractions were 5 min apart and lasting for a minute. This confused DH because my contractions were coming very regularly every 2-3 minutes but they were only lasting 30-45 seconds. However, he didn't tell this to the doula. They decided it was time to call Grandma to stay with our two girls. DH called his mom and told her he thought I was going into labor. He neglected to tell her my water had broken though. She said she'd come over. Unfortunately, she took her time.

3:30 am: Grandma finally showed up and DH called the doula again. Doula asked if I was able to still talk through the contractions. I was able, but most of my talking at this point consisted of insisting DH take me to the hospital. DH told the doula we were heading to the hospital and she could meet us there.

4:00 am: Arrived at triage. They had me undress. I was 7cm, 100%, and station 0. The triage nurse told DH to call our doula and communicate this to her. They put a belt around my stomach to monitor the baby. I told them I didn't like it and they said it had to be on (apparently the baby's heartrate had dipped into the 90s). They asked if I wanted an epi, and I said no. The nurse encouraged me to breathe though some contractions while they were digging around in my arm trying to get an IV line in. I asked to go to the bathroom. They said I could do that (ha, got them to take off the belt). They started wheeling me that way when I started telling them I needed to have a BM. We went straight to a labor room instead of the bathroom. They never did get an IV line in .

5:00 am: They wheeled me into the delivery room calling my doctor. She came in fairly quickly and checked me. I was complete. Around this time my doula arrived . Everyone told me I could start pushing. However I didn't really feel like it and I told them so. They told me to push anyway. I did keep talking about needing to have a BM, though. They' told me to hold my breath like I was going under water and the nurse would count to 8. At this point I felt the baby would never come out because my body just did not feel like pushing. My doula got them to hook the squatting bar up and they positioned me on that. The next contraction I gave it my best effort. The doc and nurse started telling me "Lie down!"

5:13 am: I did and with the next contraction my daughter was born. She was 6 lb, 11oz and 20 inches long. Her apgars were 8/9.

I got to hold her right after birth while I got stitched up. I had a second degree tear and needed quite a lot of stitches. I feel like that's because they made me push too early, but I'll never know I guess. Anyway, I was so grateful to have a quick and easy labor that went exactly how I wanted it to go (other than the tearing - but looking back I was unreasonably afraid of that and it really wasn't so bad).

Oh, and the second thing out of my mouth after I delivered was, "Did I poop?" I hadn't. The first thing I said was, "Oh my God, my baby!"

Last edited by Zoostergirl; March 12th, 2009 at 11:41 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search