Carter's Birth Story - 3/9/09

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 13th, 2009, 08:55 AM
amcghee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After my 39 week appointment on Wed. March 4 where they said I was 2cm, 50% effaced, -1 station, and cervix 'super soft' and ready to go anytime (she also stripped my membranes), we passed Carter's due date on Friday (March 6) and I started to get really anxious. We tried all the "natural labor inducers" like eating spicy food and walking around, but nothing worked. I even got out the breastpump and tried pumping for a few hours (as directed by multiple websites).

On Sunday night/Monday morning, I awoke at about 1:30am with strong contractions that were definitely more painful than I'd had before. I wanted to be sure...so I waited until 2:30 to wake my husband and call Amara (our doula). Contractions were coming STRONG by 3am- about every 4-5 min. and lasting 45 seconds to a minute long. We got the last minute things together, I showered and called the midwife who left it up to us whether or not to come in right then...and we decided to wait a bit. I knew it was really labor, and was starting to not be able to talk or do anything during a contraction, but didn't want to rush things. They ask that you not come to the Midwifery Center until you are about 5cm dilated...contrax coming steadily for over 2 hours and lasting about a minute in length. So, I wanted to be sure not to get there too early like I did with Ava. (With her my water broke and I was at a hospital not a birthing center and they said I had to come in right away...so then I was coerced into pitocin and ultimately an epi...this time I wanted to wait as long as possible and labor at home!)

Then, contractions started coming on HARD and peaking FAST and about 2-3 min apart. I honestly don't remember much from 4-6am. I guess I thought it was about 20 minutes, but it was 2 hours!! I was hunched over my birth ball in the living room and Ryan was putting pressure on my lower back during each contraction and I was just trying to rest and breathe between them. I honestly didn't think about anything during that time -- didn't listen to my iPod hypnobabies tracks or anything for quite a while. I just got into a zone and stuck with it one contraction at a time. Again, it didn't feel like it was that long. Amara got to the house somewhere in there and told Ryan to get everything in the car. She apparently took one look at me and knew it was time to go!!! All of a sudden, I felt very nauseous and threw up a few times before we left and on the way to the car. I thought, "Oh, no - I can't be in transition already, we haven't left the house!" I do remember saying, "I don't think I can get in the car. How am I going to ride in the car like this??" My mom and Amara both just calmly said, "You just do it. Take a deep breath, and stand up - we'll help you out." It took me a few seconds to pull it together and then I just got up and walked straight out the door and into the car! My mom said once I decided to do it, I was just gone! My husband tilted the seat back and piled up about 6 pillows on the back rest. I crawled up on my knees facing backwards and leaned over the pillows (and proceeded to throw up in the bucket once more ) That's when I really plugged in my iPod and tried to not think about anything but breathing. I listened to the "Easy First Stage" track -- even though I clearly wasn't in the first stage of labor! The car ride was tough - but I listened to my hypno tracks the whole way and dh was very careful! Amara and I walked in and up the elevator...we stopped a few times and I just leaned on her through a contraction - I do remember we had to keep hitting the button to keep the elevator doors open once we got to the third floor becuase I was in the middle of a contraction and couldn't move! I was still listening to my iPod, and really in a "zone". Dh made good time getting from the parking lot inside.

From there, it gets hazy for me - it was 7am when we got to the hospital. They couldn't get a good reading of the baby's heartrate with the dopplar and wanted to hook me up to the monitor for 20 minutes and it was crazy painful for me to lay down for that. I fought them as much as possible, but they made me. When the midwife checked me, she said I was 7cm, 90% effaced and the bag of waters was "bulging" - so she went ahead and broke it. That hurt, but everything hurt at that point and I remembered the childbirth class instructor saying that breaking the water in late labor can take 45 minutes off labor and I was hoping for any relief I could get!

I went from 7 to 9cm in about 30 min.!! When I heard I was 9cm, I said, "I didn't even get in the tub!" so they said if I could physically get there, it was okay...so I did (same as getting in the car - I just focused myself and did it!) and labored in the tub for about an hour. I remember opening my eyes at one point and being shocked that it was light outside! I think I'd had my eyes closed for literally an hour!! It was very relaxing in between contractions - and they started spacing out at that point. I was able to rest and even almost fall asleep in between. But, during the contractions, each one, I was saying, "I can't do this! I don't think I want to do this anymore! No, I really really don't like this!" It felt nice to be in the water between contractions, but during them, I started to feel incredible pressure. That's what they called it at least. I don't know if 'pressure' really is the right word. You know how when you throw up, your muscles in your stomach and abdomen and chest all clench violently? That's what it felt like my stomach and lower regions were doing. It was like a horrible SHUDDER from my belly down. Amara kept saying, "Everyone says they can't do it at this point - you're almost there. This is the hardest part." and Dh kept saying, "You ARE doing it!" In the back of my head, I knew it couldn't be much longer - 9cm is like the end...but really wanted it to be over. I started to feel like I was losing control at that point. During the contractions, I was trying to keep the low moan thing going - our class taught us to open and relax the jaw and moan or chant in a low voice. I was saying, "OOOOOUUUUUT - Get OUUUUUUT" If I got high-pitched and somewhat hysterical, Amara and dh just reminded me to be low and chant. Finally, they said I was 10cm and I could push when I felt like it.

I started pushing in the tub, but it wasn't working very well and I was in ridiculous pain. I couldn't get in the right position, I guess. I didn't really remember HOW to push, either - or I was scared to really do it...so they wanted me out and on the bed where they could better see what was going on. It took me a few pushes to remember and then I thought to myself, "Oh, hell I remember how much this sucked! I didn't really have a position I wanted to push in - they talked a lot in the birth class about squatting or side-lying but they just had me grab my legs and do it the old fashioned way! I pushed about 10-15 min and OUCH he came...I mean, OUT he came! It was 9:05am and we had only been at the hospital for 2 hours!! The actual birth was extremely painful not only because he was so big, but also because his shoulders were in a weird position and they literally had to turn him to get them out. Yikes! I was NOT the picture of hypnobirthing at that moment. I was out of my head - and literally screamed, "Get it out of me!" and I remember feeling like I was literally ripping in half. It didn't last that long, but at that very moment, I was so scared that I would tear horribly. I guess that was the "ring of fire" that you hear about?? Ugh. I knew once the head was out, it should be easy, so I couldn't figure out in those seconds why it still hurt like that and why the baby was still in me!!! Now I know that it was the shoulder issue and that made it much, much more painful. They laid him on me and waited for the cord to stop pulsing before dh cut it, so we just checked him out for a little while. The placenta hadn't come out yet - I tried gently pushing and they tried kind of pushing on my belly, but to no avail. It was weird because with Ava, it came right out. But, I had pitocin with her, so that makes a difference. I started nursing him pretty much right away and he latched right on and was a natural! Then, they gave him to dh and asked me to squat over a tray/bucket to try to get the placenta out...but it wouldn't come. I am not sure how long they let it go, but finally the midwife really had to push hard and asked me to really push hard to get it to come out. That felt like birthing another baby - but without the ring of fire! I was relieved when that was over and I could just relax and enjoy holding the baby.

The midwife said he was a big baby when she laid him on my chest, but everyone gasped when they finally weighed him in at 9lbs 10oz!! I was getting up to go to the bathroom and to the shower at that point - so they did his bath and all his stats and tests and things while I showered. I was back in bed with my nursing tank (and the sexy netted undies) by 11am!

So, there it is - the long version of a pretty short labor!!! I am so glad I chose to do it this way -- I always would've wondered if I *could've* gone all natural...and now I know!!! Anyone with questions can feel free to ask - not that I'm an expert, but it's pretty fresh in my mind!!!

March 13th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom of 4 Js
Wow that is an amazing story! Congrats on a beautiful NCB! I'm so happy you achieved your goal, it is really inspiring! You didn't know what you were having right? How did you and DH react when they announced it was a boy? I'm only asking because we don't know the gender and I like to play it out in my head LOL!
Jordan 7/28/06, Jason 7/17/07, Jacob 5/23/09,
& Jillian 6/13/11 born at home in the water

March 14th, 2009, 05:21 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
yeah!!!!! I love your new siggie too! What a great birth story, you are so funny You totally did it and did it in style.

March 14th, 2009, 05:29 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
That is an amazing birth story! Congrats to you and your family!
March 17th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Great job hun! I'm so proud of you!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

March 17th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
thaks for sharing! What an amazing birth

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

March 19th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to RubyRed03 Send a message via Yahoo to RubyRed03
Thanks for sharing your story! I have a weird obsession with reading birth stories! I just find it so amazing and exciting! I can't wait to experience it one day, or maybe I can haha!
March 19th, 2009, 07:57 PM
whiplash's Avatar Veteran
Great birth story, congrats!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search