Brennen Trace - 4/6/09 - a NCB experience

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2009, 10:18 AM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Brennen Trace
Born at 6:12 pm on April 6, 2009
8 lbs. 2.6 oz, 20 in. long
My last day of work was Thursday, April 2. I spent Friday getting groceries, preparing Easter baskets for the kids, catching up on laundry and cleaning up the house. I guess I didn’t realize I had a burst of super-powered nesting! Saturday morning we went to Dylan’s baseball game and decided to head down to Scalini’s for dinner. I was 39 weeks pregnant and ready to try the “famous” eggplant parmigiana that is known to put women into labor. I had the eggpant parmigiana and Tracy had the chicken parm. It was a great dinner; I ate every last bite!
Sunday morning we slept in a little and got up around 8:30 to have breakfast. I was feeling different but couldn’t quite put my finger on it. I had slept pretty well but my stomach was a little uneasy. I asked Tracy if he wanted to take the kids to the park and go for a walk on the walking trails through the woods. So, off we went. We walked for a couple of miles and then the kids wanted to play. I sat and enjoyed the sun while the kids and Tracy played and went up the climbing wall. My stomach wasn’t feeling good at this point, so I was ready to go home. I ate a light lunch when we got home and laid down to take a nap. After my nap I made dinner for everyone, but didn’t feel like I could keep dinner down so I just drank plenty of water and continued to rest for the remainder of the night. We had been watching tv in bed and Tracy fell asleep around 10. At about 10:30pm I started having contractions. They weren’t too painful, but definitely made me stop and breathe. This continued on for over an hour, so I started timing them and the contractions were coming every 5 minutes, sometimes less. I woke up Tracy and had him time them for a while so I didn’t have to focus on that. The contractions continued coming every 5 minutes, sometimes a little less and were getting a little stronger so we decided to call the midwives’ office. I let the answering service know that I was in labor, how often my contractions were coming and that this was my 3rd child. Sherry, the midwife who was on-call, called back within about 5 minutes. I actually had a pretty strong contraction while on the phone with her and once it passed she asked which child this was and how fast my previous labor was. I told her it was about 7 hours with my daughter and that this was my 3rd child and she told me to go ahead and get my things together and head down to the hospital since it was about a 30 minute drive. Once we were able to wake someone in our family to come over and stay with the kids since it was after midnight, we were on our way!
We got to the hospital and signed a few papers, but it wasn’t too bad because I had pre-registered online. Our nurse came in (who was also a patient of my the same midwife group I go to), asked some questions and gave me the lovely gown to put on so she could do a quick exam since I hadn’t had a cervical exam during the pregnancy. I was 3cm, almost 4 and 60% effaced at 2 am. Honestly, I was a little disappointed. I asked if I was going to be sent home or could start walking there and the nurse said to go ahead and start walking and she’d have Sherry come in and talk to me. When Sherry came in after I had been walking for over an hour, she said I was staying because she didn’t want to send me home with a 30 minute drive each way since we didn’t know what could happen. It was about 5 am at this point and Sherry decided to check me again. I was 5 cm and “about 80%” effaced. I decided to walk some more, so up and down the halls I went again for a while. Around 7 am I was checked again and I was only 6 cm and still at 80% effaced. I wanted to cry! I really thought things would be moving along a lot faster since this was my 3rd child. I ate some fruit and then tried to lay down and rest. The entire time I was walking the contractions had gotten stronger and stayed very regular, so I was rather tired since I hadn’t slept at all. At some point someone had turned the radio on (we brought a portable radio) and I remember being so annoyed because I had heard the same song 3 times in about 2 hours.
I tried my hardest to sleep, but I couldn’t really rest through my contractions anymore. The nurse came in to check on me at about 2 pm and noticed I was experiencing a bit more pain at this point with my contractions and asked if she could monitor me for about 20 minutes. Everything was good, so she checked me afterwards and I was at 7 – the magic number to get in the birthing tub. It took a little while to fill up the tub and by the time it was filled I was beyond ready to get in!!! I got in the tub around 3 pm and it felt SO good! I couldn’t believe how much it relieved the discomfort of my contractions. Well, it apparently relaxed me a little too much because my contractions started stretching out and were only coming about every 8 to 10 minutes apart. Not to mention, I was falling asleep in the tub now. When Sherry came in to check on me again I told her the contractions were really slowing down since I got in the tub and I started crying because I was tired from having such strong contractions for about 6 hours and having no sleep. Sherry asked if I wanted to break my water to see we could get things moving again and I said yes and got right out of the tub. She checked me after I got out of the tub to see if I had progressed any and said I was just a little over 7 but about 90% effaced now. She could feel the baby’s head was right down in the cervix, so she was confident once she broke my water that things would move quickly. My water was broken at about 4:45 pm and holy moly, did things really start moving then! My contractions were very intense and right on top of each other for about an hour. It was getting to be unbearable and I sat on the toilet for a while because it was where I felt the most relief from the pressure I was feeling. Sherry came in and realized why I was staying in the bathroom on the toilet and asked if she could check me again. I got back on the bed and laid on my left side because there was no way I could lay on my back at this point. I was 9 cm with just a lip of cervix left, finally!!! I was really having to put everything I had left in me into breathing through my contractions. I found that moaning deeply while I breathed out helped a lot. My best friend who was there with us rubbed my lower back during the contractions and that really helped a lot too. I was squeezing Tracy’s hands through them as well. It was so hard to look at my husband watch me go through this…I didn’t prepare myself to see him cry. This went on for about 15 minutes and then it was too much to breathe down through and I found my body bearing down at the peak of the contractions and I was grunting. I knew it had to be time to push. Sherry asked if I felt like I needed to push and I yelled out “Yes!” She came and checked me and the baby’s head was crowning! I pushed through 4 contractions and he came out during the 4th contraction and my 2nd breath of pushing!Brennen Trace, finally, made his appearance at 6:12 pm! I'd say it was a good 18 hours of very active, exhausting labor.
I couldn’t believe the instant relief. Tracy and I were both crying and I got to hold my precious baby boy right away. We were given a good 15 minutes before Sherry was ready to deliver my placenta and then Tracy took the baby right next to the bed with the nurse to after he cut the cord, which he had to do twice because he didn’t get it the first time because he couldn’t see it from all the tears in his eyes. I had one small perineal abrasion and Sherry gave me on little stitch so everything would heal okay. It was no big deal at all. Then Tracy brought the baby back over to me and it was the most wonderful moment I have had in years (since my last child!). We got to spend about 40 minutes with the baby bonding; I nursed him and me, Tracy and my best friend took turns holding him and welcoming our new blessing into the world. Shortly after nurses came to help me get cleaned up and then moved us to our postpartum room, but Tracy was able to stay with Brennen the entire time and my best friend stayed with me. It was a wonderful natural experience! I wish I hadn’t been so tired and over labor and would’ve gotten back in the tub, but I have no regrets and was still comfortable enough out of the water to enjoy my birthing experience.

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

April 29th, 2009, 10:43 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
What a great birthing story, thank you for sharing that with us

April 29th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom of 4 Js
what an amazing story! congrats!
Jordan 7/28/06, Jason 7/17/07, Jacob 5/23/09,
& Jillian 6/13/11 born at home in the water

April 29th, 2009, 11:25 AM
noworries
What a wonderful story. Great job mama.
April 29th, 2009, 11:47 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Love it! Congrats again!!!!
April 29th, 2009, 03:59 PM
xanada101's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to xanada101 Send a message via Yahoo to xanada101
That was a great story... not too long at all. It made me tear up. Thanks for sharing.

April 29th, 2009, 04:23 PM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you SO much for sharing. You are so strong, you did a fantastic job. The part about your hubby crying brought me to tears!! I hadn't even thought of that possibility during my birth. That must have been so emotional. Congratulations!!!
April 29th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What a great story!!!!! Congrats again!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
June 5th, 2009, 07:59 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
You did a wonderful job! Great story! Thanks for sharing!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search