Bryce Eric's Intervention Free NCB!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2009, 04:54 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Bryce Eric II
Born March 10, 2009 @ 11:14 pm
weighing 6lb 14.8oz, and 19inches long!

Though I never thought much of what I was doing, looking back you would have though I was trying to go into labor! (red raspberry leaf tea, long walk, sex...it all adds up!)
The day before BE was born (March 9th) my husband was home, and we were celebrating his birthday just a few days late (he had been working over his birthday). Bryce had said several times that he wanted a baby for his birthday, but I doubted that would happen! That afternoon we went for a long walk, followed by a nice dinner. Later that evening Bryce and I decided to watch a movie. There was a clock within sight and I started watching it, because I noticed I was having mild contractions quite often, and I was curious about how regular they were. I was getting them every 10 minuets...consistently!...but being that they weren't intense or anything (I just felt my uterus tightening) I didn't think much of it. I had been having them ALL the time for a couple of weeks! (Not to mention I was three weeks early, and fully expected to go late due to family history).
When the movie was over we went to "bed"...I slept pretty good, other than getting up 3-4 times to go to the bathroom (which wasn't normal! It was usually only once.) Each time I noticed the same "tightening" as before, but tried not to get too excited because, as said before, I was three weeks early, and was going to go late! (or so I had convinced myself...I guess to keep from being disappointed?)

The next morning when I got up I was still having them and they were getting a little more intense, but I still didn't believe I was going into labor! I didn't want to get too excited over nothing!
I started trying different positions to see if they would stop...Sitting with my feet up, drinking a tall glass of water, laying on my side, then my back. Nothing made them lessen...in fact they were starting to get even stronger! I had been going to the bathroom constantly, and starting to see some bloody show...Around 12:00, I tried calling my mom but didn't get through to her, so I called my sister and asked how I would KNOW if I was in Labor, because I thought I might be. (I had all the symptoms, but still wouldn't believe that I was actually in labor!) She asked several questions, which I answered, then told me the same thing my midwife told me in Birth class...wait a bit, and you'll know! I told her I was going to try a hot shower (I figured it wouldn't hurt, and if I was in labor I wanted to be clean anyway!). My mom called me back, and after talking with her she told me to call my midwife!

2:00- After I took my shower (which did nothing, but did feel good!) I decided I would call my midwife Rosie to see if she could check me. I was having to breath through the contractions now, and starting having a hard time focusing. I just wanted her to tell me if this was the "real" thing (even though I knew it was), and if I was making any progress. I told her I was NOT looking for her to send me to the hospital (I wanted to labor at home as long as possible), but needed to know if my mom (who was supposed to be my Doula) should get on the road, to head this direction. (she had a 12 hour drive ahead of her from West KY to PA!...Little did I know Mom was already on her way! She said she could tell by the sound of my voice that something was different and this was real!) Rosie told me to come in whenever I wanted.

After the 45 min drive from home to her office (Bryce drove), there were no more questions in my mind as to weather this was real or not! I was sure! (It was not the most comfortable drive ever, to say the least! I felt EVERY bump in the road!) I was just really hoping I would be showing progression, and wouldn't find out that all I had been experiencing was for not! I was really trying not to over exaggerate the pain...Rosie had said that you would know you were in active labor, when you could no longer walk or talk through contractions!...well even though it wasn't comfortable, I could still walk...and even though it was hard to focus in the middle of one, I could talk...

So we walk into the office and Rosie looks at the way I'm handling myself, and tells me they are going to hook me up to a monitor and watch to see whats going on...after laying there for about 20min, she comes back in to check on me. She looks at the monitor and tells me that I am having some significant contractions (they were coming every 6 min), and it's probably safe to say that I'm in EARLY labor! So I asked if it was safe to tell my mom to start heading this direction. "Hold on! Just be patient!" she says..."at least let me check you to see If you are dilating yet!"(you could tell she didn't think much was happening)...So she starts checking me, and all of a sudden her eyes get HUGE! as she starts stuttering to tells me I'm at least 5cm dilated, and 90% effaced!!!
We were all shocked! (especially Rosie!) She said, never in all her years of practice has she had a first time Mother come in at 5cm! (I felt pretty good about myself! and was so relieved that I hadn't overreacted!)

We asked if it was ok to go home to finish getting things together (I told DH that I didn't want to come home to dirty dishes, and we still had a few things to pack), she said it was, just to let her know when we were on our way to the hospital, so she could meet us there.
As we left, we realized that neither of us had eaten anything all day, and DH was starving! So we stopped by McDonald's and I got a chocolate milkshake...but after a couple sips, decided it was way too sweet, and NOT what I wanted! I wasn't really hungry anymore. In fact I was becoming quite nauseated.

By the time we got home, the contractions were becoming quite intense and getting more and more uncomfortable. I found the most comfort by laying on my left side through each one. As soon as they were gone I could function again, and continue packing, but as they grew stronger, that got harder, and DH ended up doing most of the work...He was WONDERFUL!!!
Around 6:45 We decided to start heading to the hospital. The contractions were still only 5-6 min apart but were very intense, and knowing how uncomfortable the last ride was, I didn't want to be miserable the whole way there! I was also starting to get more impatient, and snipped at DH a couple of times (which is what confirmed in his mind that we needed to go, because I had been in good spirits the whole day...Looking back, I can see I was in transition!) . I was still very nauseated, and threw up once while we were driving.

We got to the hospital just after 7, which was great, because they had just had a shift change, so I had the same Nurse the whole time! We got there a little before my midwife, but she had obviously called ahead because my nurse was waiting for me at the L&D
entrance! She was SO sweet! After She got me settled in (by this point, it was about 8pm), she checked to see how far I had progressed, and we were pleasantly surprised to find out that I was at 9cm! She said a LOT of women throw up around 8cm (which would have been while we were in the car). She knew I had wanted to labor in the tub, but told me that Rosie probably wouldn't let me, being this far along. Shortly after, Rosie got there. She checked me again, and then gave me permission to get in the tub!!! She told the nurse I needed it! Lol! It felt SO good! (There's a reason they call it Natures Epidural! It really is!) I stayed in the tub for about an hour. It was so relaxing! Almost too relaxing because I didn't progress any while in the tub. I decided to get out and try some other positions to speed things up a little. I went to the toilet because I needed to pea, and ended up staying there for a while. each time a contraction came I would pull up on Bryce (my arms around his neck). I was offered the birth ball to try, but being so far along, it was too awkward, and I didn't like it. I swayed with DH for a while but started getting tired, and ended up lying on my side in the bed, trying to rest in between contractions. I was having to really focus on my breathing to get through each one. Bryce was an awesome coach! He was so good at helping me focus. He breathed through each contraction with me as I squeezed his hand! Rosie offered to break my water to speed things up, but I didn't feel a need to speed anything up. I was progressing just fine IMO, and knew that would only make the contractions more intense! A little while later (10pm) I was checked again, and I was at 10cm! Rosie asked if I wanted to try pushing, but I wanted to wait until I felt the urge. So we did, and I continued to try and rest in between each contraction. I was so tired! Bryce brought me some cold rags for my forehead and some ice. I was so thirsty, and it felt good to crunch the ice while I was having contractions! Come 10:30 I started to feel like I needed to poop! So I was encouraged to try. While sitting on the toilet, I started groaning...It just felt good! Rosie knew I was pushing, and said she needed to check me before I continued (she was concerned about a "thick" portion of my cervix, and wanted to make sure it had thinned out). So I moved to the bed to be checked, and was given the ok to continue. It felt so good to push! I started with the squatting bar and had maybe 4 contractions (pushing with each) in that position before I was encouraged to try something different, and switched to laying on my left side while Bryce held up my right leg. I had another 3 contractions, and then decided to try it on my hands and knees, which was by far the most comfortable (although I think each position was beneficial at the time, to help move him through).With the second contraction there, his head crowned, and my water broke, squirting bloody water ALL OVER the place! Two more pushes and he was out!! Rosie caught him and passed him through my legs, and I leaned back and picked him up. I held him for a couple minuets while the cord finished pulsing! He felt so tiny! I then gave him to Rosie, and turned around (I had been facing the head of the bed) so the cord could be cut by Bryce. Bryce was going to catch BE, but I ended up needing him up by my head for support. After the cord was cut they gave him back to me and covered us both with a warm towel. I delivered the placenta without any problems. I did have two minor tares up inside due to BE's hand being up by his face, but nothing major! They checked BE and weighed him while I was stitched. Rosie and Stephani (My nurse. She was awesome through the whole thing! So attentive, but never pushy, or in the way) helped me get cleaned up, and settled into bed...I had made quite the mess when my water broke! They brought BE to me, and I nursed him! He did great! Latched right on!
About 1:00am my mom and sisters got there to see us. (They came strait to the hospital...Needless to say my mom didn't make it.) They visited for about an hour, then left us to get some much needed rest! (My adrenalin rush was fading quickly!). Stephanie came back in to bath BE, and make sure I was comfortable for the night...Everything was quiet!

Though I didn't get the home water birth I originally wanted, I love the way everything turned out! It was so much faster than I expected it to be! It was wonderful, and I would do it again in a heartbeat!

So, that's my story! Sorry it got so long...Thanks for reading!

Last edited by GranolaMamaOf3; June 6th, 2009 at 07:04 AM.
June 4th, 2009, 08:48 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
You subconsciously were ready, lol. Congrats again, just saw your story was here too, thought I'd take another peak at it.

June 5th, 2009, 03:41 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a great birth story!
July 27th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I hope I am dialted that far when I go in!! at 38 1/2 wks I was bet. 2-3 and now I am just over 39 wks and waiting!! I go to the dr Wed to get checked again! I hope I have progressed!!

Your story was encouraging as I will be experiencing my 1st ncb after an intervention-full first birth 8 yrs ago!
July 28th, 2009, 07:26 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
care7407~ Good luck to you! I can't wait to read your birth story!

July 28th, 2009, 09:11 AM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love this story!! Very inspirational. Thank you so much for sharing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search