Sergio's Awesome Drug-Free Birth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 6th, 2009, 09:31 AM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a long active labor and a month of prelabor leading up to the big day so I will give you guys the nutshell version...

Sergio was due 10/6 and I was seeing a midwife and planning a delivery in our local women's hospital.

I had a membrane strip on a Friday at 39 weeks and 3 days after losing my mucous plug at 39 weeks. The full moon was also that weekend so I hoped that everything put together would send me into labor. I had contractions that evening but they didn't go anywhere. My husband and I sent our toddler, Hugo, off to his grandparents for Saturday and did last minute errands and a lot of walking.

On Sunday morning, I definitely had bloody show but no contractions. Hugo returned home to us on Sunday afternoon and I laid down for a nap with him. I welcomed the chance to lie down with him and snuggled up for what would be our last nap for a long while. Just as we laid down, at 3:00 I started to feel the familiar tightening and releasing. My beagle came to lay by my side, and I felt like this was probably it. I wanted to rest but couldn't really. I got my cell phone and watched the clock on it. The contractions started about 10-12 minutes apart and gradually got closer together, so that every hour they were noticeably closer and more painful, though the pain wasn't unbearable. At 4:00 they were about 7 minutes apart and by 5:00 they were closer to 5 minutes. Each one felt like a wave breaking. It was so amazing and beautiful. I burst into tears at the joy of being able to hold my beautiful sleeping Hugo while waiting for my next son. I'll never forget it.

At 6:00 I'd had an hour of contractions 5 minutes apart, and since that was the rule of thumb I'd always been given, we decided it was time to go. We called my parents again to come get Hugo and called the triage line. Meanwhile, he woke up and we shared apple juice and a sandwich in bed as dinner. It was probably 7:30 before we got gone for the hospital, considering my parents' travel time and then our travel time there.

By the time we reached the hospital, my contractions had spaced back out a bit and really weren't hurting. The monitor there picked up ones 6 min. apart and DH told them I don't eat or drink anything all day so they diagnosed it as being dehydrated and made me drink a cup of water. I knew it was not dehydration and was royally mad at DH for planting that idea. Also, supposedly my cervix had not changed from Friday. One of my prior doctors was on call and said I could go home. They said to return when contractions were 5 minutes apart, etc. etc. etc... essentially, the same symptoms I had come in with. We asked for clarification on this and they said, "Well, wait until the pain is a lot worse and look for more blood."

As soon as I got in the car to go back home, the contractions picked back up and started to get worse- of course. DH, who had been complaining about being hungry, stopped at a Wendy's so he could get a quick bite and so I could run to the bathroom because I was about to pop after drinking so much water at triage. The Wendy's staff was a bit freaked out by the sight of me running in and asked DH if my water had broken. When I came waddling out, I drank a large water and ate part of a mixed Frosty to prove that I wasn't dehydrated and starving. I was still having contractions but we headed home by 10:00. My parents were there with Hugo and said they would just stay with him in his room in case we needed to leave in the night.

I got about 2 hours of sleep before I woke up, vomited up all of the Wendy's food, and continued to wake up hourly to increasingly stronger contractions. Hugo had been throwing me his toy basketball the night before; I picked it up and rolled it firmly around my stomach for counterpressure. I went from the bathroom to the floor of the bathroom back to bed with the ball in my hand.

At 4:00 AM, I got back out of bed and into our tub. The contractions were 5 minutes apart again, but strong enough that I needed pain relief to get through each one. I turned on our great showerhead and blasted hot water on my stomach each time. After 20-30 minutes of relief from the water I started praying through each contraction. I tried to meditate and said the Hail Mary several times through each one. They worsened; I started to turn the water back on and off while praying. At 4:55 I got out of the shower and tried to snuggle up with DH in bed but ended up on all fours working through the pain. By 6:00 we were up taking turns showering and he was calling back the triage line. My mom must've heard him make the call because she then knocked at the door and said we should be leaving immediately and she had heard me laboring all night and wanted us to have left a long time ago. I got my hair dry and we left at about 6:40.

As we drove, it was easy to time my contractions on the car's clock. They were consistently 3 minutes apart and about a 7 or 8 on the pain scale of 1-10. I had Hugo's basketball in my hand and rolled it around my stomach some more; it wasn't much, but it was all I could do while strapped in to the car. I meditated looking at the rosary hanging from my rearview. We got to the hospital at 7:00 and I couldn't sign myself in, but just paced the waiting room. In triage, I was put on the monitors and saw the contractions were peaking in the 60-80 range and remembered I had the medicine in the 60s with Hugo so I was happy I had already come farther with this labor. The nurse then came to check me and I was 5-6 cm. The labwork trolley came by and that nurse took my blood and said something about getting an epidural and I told her I was not getting one. She said, "Oh, you're going to do this the Little House on the Prairie way." I said, yes I was. I also told everyone that came in that I did not want an IV and I just wanted to get in the shower.

Finally, the L&D nurse came to the door with a wheelchair a little after 8:00 and I got myself in. I couldn't believe that I was about to have the baby. As we rounded the corner I had a contraction that made my toes curl over the footrests. I got myself out of the wheelchair as soon as it stopped and asked if I could get in the shower.

First I was checked again and I was 6-7 cm. Then, I cried for about 20 minutes when they told me that due to H1N1, no visitors under 18 would be allowed so I would not be seeing Hugo in the hospital. I don't really know how I ultimately dealt with this but somehow I did and asked to get into the shower. By 8:40 or so I got into the shower but I was disappointed that the water didn't get that hot and the drain didn't plug in the tub... oh, well.

I was only in the shower for a few contractions when I saw my midwife walk in. OMG, I had never been so glad to see her!! I willingly climbed out of the tub and had DH sort of throw a towel around me so she could do absolutely whatever she would want or need to do at the moment. I got on the bed, and she checked me and I was 8 cm. I was so happy!! The midwife then offered me three options: I could go back in the shower, I could get some pain medicine, or she could break my water. I knew what I was going for, but we discussed it for a minute. I asked if breaking my water would make things happen faster and she said yes. So I gave her the go-ahead and she broke my water at 9:00.

The pain intensified immediately (as if it could get much worse). The nurse was monitoring Sergio on and off with the monitor unit. I loved that I wasn't tethered to it or an IV (no one had even mentioned an IV since looking at my birth plan when I came into the room that said NO IV ). She had brought in a birth ball and offered to lay a towel on it, but I pretty much stayed on the bed from there on.

By 9:20 I know I got a look of terror on my face because I said I needed to get up and go to the bathroom and I couldn't figure out how in the heck I was going to do so. The midwife checked and I was 10 cm and started pushing. When I started to feel stinging, I felt hopeful. I was hoping this was the "ring of fire" feeling that people talk about when the baby crowns... but it just wasn't that bad. It felt sort of like alcohol or an antiseptic was being poured over everything... I asked the midwife if she was using alcohol down there and she said no. So that had to be it! I asked if she could see his hair and if it was blonde like Hugo's. First she said it just looked wet; then with a couple more pushes I mentioned I hoped his hair was dark and she said it was!

Once the hair color issue was settled, I went back to saying we are NEVER having any more kids and looking at time ticking by on the clock, asking how much longer it would be. I had been giving short pushes up until then but knew the only way to relieve the pain would be to get him OUT. I heard the midwife ask for a mirror; someone brought her a light and she laughed and told them a MIRROR not a light. She was also applying a warm washcloth to the area. She told me to pull my legs back but I could not bring myself to; it hurt too much. The pressure was worse than the actual pain now. I asked for help and the nurse took my left leg and DH took my right. I forced myself to push harder and longer than I had been. I loved that no one was counting to 10 or whatever and telling me how to push. The rest was really up to me.

Right at 10:00 AM, an hour since my water had been broken, I wondered how much longer this could possibly last. I forced myself with all my will to push past what I thought was humanly possible because I thought I may have felt him give a little. And Sergio's head finally came out. I pushed hard again, wanting it to be over. After 19 hours, Sergio Rhys was born at 10:03 AM weighing 8 lbs 2 oz and measuring 22 inches.

This was the most beautiful moment of my life!!! If I were to ever do this again, I would most definitely do it the same way!

November 6th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Veteran
Beautiful story! Congratulations on your awesome birth and new baby!

November 7th, 2009, 03:38 AM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
congrats!
November 30th, 2009, 10:06 AM
blue daisy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wow, I cant wait!!! :-)
...if your new baby looks anything like Hugo, watch out world!!! Gorgeous!
November 30th, 2009, 10:18 AM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue daisy View Post
wow, I cant wait!!! :-)
...if your new baby looks anything like Hugo, watch out world!!! Gorgeous!
Thanks!

I totally forgot to add a picture. Here is one of Sergio just born:

Here's some updated pics: (last week, at 7 wks old)

Good luck everyone trying for a NCB coming up! You can do it!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search