The other quick arrival of the other Katherine Elizabeth! =)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2010, 02:25 PM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kate Elizabeth made her arrival just minutes before midnight June 1st! We were settling into bed at 9pm that night to watch Glee. I had totally gave up on going into labor that day. I had woken up at 5am to go to the bathroom and saw that I was losing my plug. I was having some mild contractions and was hoping they would pick up before my 9:30am midwife appointment. Well no such luck! I made the appointment and had a NST. Kate passed with flying colors. They checked me and I was about 3-4 cm, soft and thin. They did a sweep hoping it would get things going a little more, conisdering I was 41 weeks on the nose. DH, DS, my mom and I went to breakfast right down the street from the MW. I had THE most amazing applesauce pancakes with cinnamon! OMG! I have to remember to go back to that place! The rest of the day kind of just lagged on. I was still having some contractions. I wouldn't call them light, because they were pretty intense. They were just VERY inconsistant and were not reuglar at all. So to bed to watch Glee it was...

At 9:20pm I had this REALLY strong contraction and felt this huge POP. It honestly scared me! It felt like a joint cracking. But the contraction kept going so I couldn't investigate until it was over, 3 mintues later!!! When it finally stopped I stood up and there was a little gush, but I still wasn't convinced my water had broken. But I hardly got a break to think about it because the contractions started coming 2 mintues apart right away and were very intense. DH called the MW at about 9:30 to tell them my water had broken. Traci (MW) was on call at the time and she said to call back when the contractions were more regular (at that point we didn't have too many clocked since my water had broken). 5 minutes later, Heather (MW) called back and said she just picked up the on call and wanted to check in. She told DH to call her if I have a couple more intense contractions and she will come. DH timed 15-20 mintues more and noticed they were coming fast and strong, so he called and told Heather to come over right away. I'm kind of unclear of the exact time line from here on out, but either way it happened fast.

Since my water had broken I was sitting on the yoga ball leaning over on the bed. I started getting pretty bad back labor so I decided to get into our bath tub. While transitioning into the tub I had a few contractions where I felt Kate move down into my pelvis. DH called Heather again to make sure she was on the way. I think he was starting to get nervous by how fast things were moving. Luckily she said she was pulling into our driveway. I had been in the tub for a little while by the time she came in. She took some of my vitals and set up her stash. My back labor got really intense. Heather suggested getting on my hands and knees to relieve some of that pressure. Eventually I tried to flip over in the tub to get in that position but once I got there I realized my knees were too close together and that the next contraction would be horrible that way. I started to panic a bit but I kind of turned sideways and rested my upper body on the edge of the tub. I stayed there for a bit but then I had one contraction where I started to push. Heather heard the change in my groan and asked if I was having more pressure. I said yes. I decided I needed to get out and change positions since my back was killing me. DH had been putting pressure on my lower back and it was helping quite a bit. So I got out and went to our bedroom and laid on my side in bed. I had a towel inbetween my knees. DH was behind me putting pressure on my back. I remember asking him what time it was, thinking there might be chance she could still be born June 1st, but it could have been 2am for all I knew! He said he thought someone said it was 11:11pm.

Heather asked if I wanted her to check me, since she hadn't yet and I agreed. She said that I was complete with just a small lip in the front but it was really soft and squishy, and if I pushed the baby would just go right past it. I was having "pushy" contractions at this point. But I was so scared of pushing because I pushed hard and fast with my son and tore really badly. I finally got to a point where I couldn't help it and just did it. I had to push about every other contraction but there were small ones in there where I could kind of just rest and not push. Heather was so great! She kept using lube on my perinium to massage and had a washcloth applying pressure to my bum when I pushed. Kate's head finally came out. Heather checked for a nucal cord and couldn't find one, but she made a funny movement that bothered me so I said "ow". She apologized, but it happened again. I said "Ow" again... Heather said that wasn't me that time, baby is moving! Apparently Kate wanted out and was gonna punch her way out! Next came her shoulders and I swear that was worse than her head! I don't remember thinking that with either of my other kids. I remember the shoulders being the easy part! Half way out she actually made a little cry! It was the cutest thing! Everyone in the room was caught off gaurd and there was a collective "Aww!". At 11:43pm Katherine Elizabeth was born! She made it on time to be a June 1st baby! Total labor was 2 hours and 20 minutes. I would have never have thought that at 9pm earlier that night! Within just a few minutes she latched right on and started nursing! She was so amazing!

Heather checked me and said I had a very minor tear and thought that stitches would make it worse, so we opted to let it heal on it's own. It's amazing what a difference the lack of stitches make on recovery! Oh my gosh! I feel amazing!

After awhile we measured and weighed Kate. She was 8lbs 7oz and 20 inches long. I am so grateful for our birth experience! I am so happy that we decided to do a home birth. My first hospital birth was awful but second wasn't bad at all. I didn't have anything bad to say about it. But now having a home birth and seeing how awesome it could be, I can't believe anyone does anything different! It felt so natural and normal.

Kate and I are doing great! She is nursing like a champ! We are so thrilled to have another new member of our family!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
June 4th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats!! What an amazing story!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
June 4th, 2010, 09:34 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awwww, yay!!! It sounds so so familiar to my own labor - it's getting kind of freaky! (I had to laugh at the title of this thread!) I'm so glad you had such a lovely birth, sounds like you had a great Midwife too.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
June 5th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Super Mommy
thanks for sharing! sounds like you did a great job mama!

September 3rd, 2010, 08:36 AM
Great job! I LOVE these stories!
October 6th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a great birth story!

and introducing Julia Pearl

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search