The Birth of Harleigh Jane x-posted

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 16th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Early labor started on Friday night (6/11) at about 8 pm. I was contracting every 15-20 minutes and a lot of it was in my back and hips. I laid down and tried to get some sleep. I slept really well between the contractions. They didn’t get closer together, although a little stronger.
Saturday was my sister’s wedding so it was nice not to have gone into labor on Friday night. Saturday (6/12) things had slowed down and I contracted every 20-30 minutes and then there were a few hours where there was nothing. I ate really well and Ryan and I danced quite a bit. Hopefully succeeding in getting Harleigh to engage even further.
At about 1 am that night (technically 6/13) contractions started. All night long they were 8 minutes apart lasting 40-45 seconds and would settle in my back and hips. I did my best to sleep during the time between. Which I think I did fairly well since I feel pretty rested. I became wide awake at 630 with a contraction. I didn’t start timing them until 650 when I realized that I had had a few. At 821 the Contraction Master says they are ranging in 3-6 minutes apart and 38-50 seconds in duration. Waiting to see if they continue before I call any family. I was sitting on my birthing ball and rocking and all I could do was breathe through them. I could handle the contractions much better, if they weren’t going into my back and hips. But that is the card I was dealt.
Ryan and I ate some breakfast and pineapple and we went for a long walk. After the walk my contractions became regular at every 3 minutes. They were like that for over an hour. I had Ryan call my parents and my doctor and I hopped in the shower to get cleaned up and see if the water helped my back labor. And it definitely did! My doc told me to head into labor and delivery and we would see what was going on.
Ryan and I arrived at the hospital at 11 am. My doctor checked me and I was a 1-2 cm dilated, 80% effaced and 0 station. He then broke my water. By the way, so gross feeling. And it kept gushing for hours! The nurse started an IV on me and ran some fluids, all the while I got to actually drink water! At 1 pm the doctor came in to check me again, because my contractions had spaced out. I was only a 3 and 80% effaced and still 0 station. I then heard the words Pitocin and lost control. When my nurse left to get the back I started bawling my eyes out. I knew there was no way if I got Pitocin that I could have my natural delivery. My nurse came back in with Pitocin and Ryan asked if we could hold off on it for a little while longer. My doctor was fine with that, and I asked him if I could get up and walk. Walking definitely made the contractions stronger, and I was losing my cool rather quickly. I had intense back labor on top of everything else. We walked for an hour, and then my doctor checked me. I was a loose 3 so there wasn’t much change. He wanted to start the Pitocin and I asked if I could get the epidural first. I knew there was no way, if I was having this much trouble keeping my composure that once the Pitocin was started I would lose it completely. The anesthesiologist was called and the epidural was placed at about 3 pm. I could still feel the contractions but they were tolerable then. The Pitocin was started immediately after at the lowest dose. At one point they had to turn it down because my contractions were one right after the other. A little after 4 pm my doctor came in to check me and I was 4-5 cm dilated, 90% effaced and +1 station. So things were moving along. The epidural made me really really itchy so they gave me some Benadryl at 5pm. I was dosing off some when my nurse asked if I had any pressure and I said no. My doctor came and checked me and said I was complete. That was at 5:20pm. When I got really bad pressure the nurse had me do some pushes to bring Harleigh down into the birth canal more. Her heart rate started dropping and hit 80 at one point and we were moving me around and such to see if it would go back up. All I thought was, I’m gonna end up in an emergency c-section. They laid me back just a little bit and her heart rate started coming back up. My doctor came in and said that her head was literally right there. He had me start pushing and man did I push with all my might. My mom and Ryan were great coaches along with my wonderful nurse. I swear the total push count from the very first push ever to the last was 12. When I was pushing my doctor said to stop because her head was out. And I moved my gown and stuff so I could see. And I touched her head and started crying immediately. Then with one little measly push, her body came out. Turns out I pushed for barely 20 minutes. Harleigh Jane was born at 5:59 pm on June 13, 2010. She weighed in at 5 pounds 3.1 ounces and is 19 ˝ inches long. When she came out and Ryan had cut the cord she gave one tiny cry and decided she was going to be lazy. Her heart rate and respirations were slow. Her apgars were 6 and 9. A team from the NICU came in to assess her because her heart rate was slow and her breathing wasn’t as good as they had hoped. The neonatologist told Ryan and I that she was going to bring her to the NICU for observation for a few hours. I got to hold her for literally 2 minutes before they took her from me. I was devastated and just bawling my eyes out. I wanted to hold my baby so bad. My doctor delivered the placenta which looked pretty cool. I had a first degree laceration on my left labia which he repaired with a couple stitches just to be safe. No other tearing. I had no bleeding issues after delivery either. Fifteen minutes after NICU took Harleigh, Ryan was allowed to go back and be with her while they gave her her first bath and such. At 7:15 my nurse said they were moving me to post partum soon and at 7:30, Ryan came back and said she was being released from the NICU because she was so active and doing well. I was so delighted. When I was in post partum they brought Harleigh to me and she has been here since and will be rooming in 24/7. She is nursing like a champ, and had her first poopy diaper. Which Ryan asked me what it was because he says it looked like crude oil! It was kind of gross, not going to lie. Ryan is one proud daddy and he had a good hour of skin to skin contact with Harleigh. I am absolutely in love, and everything I went through for her is so worth it. Without a doubt.
I am disappointed in myself for getting an epidural, but I will cope with that as the days go on. Ryan said I did amazing and he was so proud of me. And my mom and sister said, yes things happened that weren’t in your plan but at least you made it 6 ˝ hours with no epidural. Not many women can say they have done that. And my mom was impressed that I had a “silent” delivery. I didn’t scream, groan or grunt while I was pushing, and she said never complained more than “It hurts” before I got the epidural.
I am trying not to let myself dwell on things that were out of my control or that happened because of other incidents. For now its time for me to enjoy my little girl.
June 16th, 2010, 06:33 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
congrats!!!!!!
June 16th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Thank you Cheryl!
June 16th, 2010, 08:33 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
congratulations, I am so glad she got back to you quickly!

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

June 17th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Super Mommy
congrats!

June 17th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
congrats!

June 17th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Thank you ladies!
June 18th, 2010, 03:36 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Congratulations!!
June 20th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats!! I'm glad that her time in the NICU was short and she was able to get right back to you.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
June 21st, 2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks Jennifer and Courtney!
June 25th, 2010, 04:36 PM
jeweluv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OMG HARLEIGH JANES MOM..HOW DID YOU DO THAT WITH THE PICS/TAKE SUCH GREAT PICS? AMAZING! I am into photography and photoshop as a hobby...but am a newbie!!

Congrats on the birth of your SERIOUSELY BEAUTIFUL CHILD! I had back labor and got an epidural..it is much different; I think.

Lee and Erica by Jadelm, on Flickr
June 25th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Thank you very much!
We actually had a professional photographer do those pictures, I haven't done m own yet. As for the siggies, two of our lovely siggy makers did them for me. I don't have their skill but I do love photoshop!
June 26th, 2010, 03:14 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
This is late in coming, but I just wanted to say congrats, Amee! Your labor progress sounded so similar to mine. I was in labor for about 2-and-a-half days, so I'm just thankful that pitocin helped me go just that much faster. I got the epi at 4 cm after I stalled there (but continued to still have crazy contractions), and it helped me to relax and dilate the rest of the way. I was/am very disappointed in how my labor ended up going, but like you said, we can't be too upset about things that are out of our control. I am proud of you, and we both have beautiful babies as the result!! Congrats, again!!

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
June 26th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Thank you very much Krissy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search