Juliana Lael's Natural "Sunny Side Up" Hospital Birth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2010, 02:59 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
July 29, 2010 I woke up feeling like not much was going on and I was disappointed. I took my puppy for a walk. The only thing out of the ordinary was after I walked about half a mile, I felt a sudden urge to poop. Luckily, we were by the neighborhood pool and even though I didn’t have my key with me, a nice girl opened the door and held Fedora’s leash while I went to the bathroom. I guess this was the start of cleaning myself out to make room for the baby to maneuver.

A couple of hours later, I listened to a Hypnobabies recording and rested on the couch. I was very relaxed and almost asleep when the phone rang. I got up to get it and noticed a wet feeling. Fluid was trickling down my leg. I called my doulas to let them know my water had broken. I also called and canceled my afternoon appointment with the OB, knowing that if she knew my water had broken I would be “on the clock” with a 24 hour countdown to c-section if the baby hadn’t come out by then.

Several hours passed and I still did not feel any significant contractions. I cleaned a bit, walked up and down the stairs a lot to try to get contractions going. About 4 pm I called my dad to wish him a happy birthday, and every few minutes another gush of fluid would come out. Contractions started to pick up a little bit at this point, but still nothing significant. Casey called around 5:30 to check on me, and I told him I was fine and go ahead and go to the gym. By the time he got home around 6:30, things had progressed a little more but there was no pain, just pressure. I became very nauseous and threw up at this point.

I called my doulas and told them it would probably be a good idea if they arrived between 9-10 pm, even though I felt this might still be too early. I tried distracting myself by putting on a 4-hour Lord of the Rings movie, but a few minutes into I decided to get in the tub and listen to hypnobabies. Contractions were coming pretty frequently (roughly 2 ˝ minutes apart) by the time my doulas arrived around 9 pm. They knew I didn’t want to get to the hospital too early, but based on the way things were progressing, we thought it would be prudent to go ahead. Contractions picked up in the car but the only time it got bad was when Casey hit the big speed bump turning into the hospital. 

At the hospital, they checked me and I was 9 cm dilated. This was fantastic news and I thought I’d probably be delivering this baby in an hour or two. Little did I know I had a rough night ahead.

I checked into my room, which seemed to take forever. The doctor tried to talk me into an IV lock but I refused. I think it was a couple of hours later when they checked me and said I was 10 cm and the baby was at 0 station, and I could push any time. I had heard that I should wait until I felt the urge to push and breathe the baby down rather than “purple pushing”, but a few hours and no progress later, I didn’t have much of an urge to push. I really hadn’t done anything to learn how to push so I had to have my wonderful doulas and nurse walk me through it. I started holding my breath and pushing for 3-4 sets of 10 seconds with each contraction. This continued for several hours and I got checked again. Much to my dismay, there was still no progress. To make matters worse, Juliana’s heart rate was dropped when I pushed in certain positions, which seemed to be the most effective ones, so my nurse asked me to avoid them. I had declined the IV up to this point, but she talked me into taking in some IV fluids, which she thought might help (despite the fact that I was drinking water constantly all night). She also had me on oxygen in between contractions.

By now it was around 3 am and I was pretty tired. To make things worse, the OB on call came in and said she needed to assist with a c-section and wanted to make sure the baby wouldn’t be born any time soon. The nurse told her to go ahead because it would be a while. Not exactly what I wanted to hear. I have to admit at this point I had some doubts about my decision to have a natural birth. My husband was surprised to hear me admit this later, because I never it let on. In fact, I even joked around a bit and was in good spirits most of the night until this point. I kept repeating the hypnobabies “Pushing Baby Out” track, which is about 45 minutes long. The next discouraging thing was when I realized I was playing it for the 6th or 7th time.

My wonderful husband suggested I get up and use gravity to my advantage by getting into a deep squat during the contractions (I had mostly been pushing on my back, side, or hands and knees so far). This was really tiring, but effective. I did it for about 3-4 contractions and then announced that I had to poop. I actually didn’t, but it felt like it because the baby’s head had finally moved down. I didn’t know this so I sat on the toilet. That position was also wonderful because it wasn’t as tiring as the squats but I was able to use gravity. I went through a few contractions like this and the nurse checked me. Finally there was progress and the baby was getting so close that she asked me to come back to the bed. I spent a few contractions in bed and each one made more progress. I was encouraged and got a second wind, and began pushing extra hard. My nurse actually suggested I back off a little because my lips were purple. Then there was a very long pause between contractions – maybe 10 minutes when they had been coming every minute – and I grew very impatient. My doulas assured me that this was a gift and I should use the time to rest. When the next contraction finally came, I gave it all I had and felt her move down very low in my birth canal. She was crowning at this point. Someone brought out a mirror so I could see her. About 3 more contractions and her head was out, then her shoulders. I heard Casey shout “She’s huge!” and I remember telling him that it would be nice if he’d waited a few more minutes before telling me that. After her head was out, one more push was all it took for her body. She was born at 5:04 am on July 30, 2010 at 39 weeks, 6 days. She cried only for a few seconds and then was laid down skin to skin with me, and quickly she was content and in awe of the world. After the cord stopped pulsing, Casey cut it. We all oohed and awed, got her wiped off, and then I immediately nursed her. Luckily, my doulas did wait until she was out to tell me that she was in “sunny side up” presentation and that’s why pushing had taken so long. She had a pretty big bruise on her head from being stuck on my pelvis for so many hours, but it didn’t seem to bother her.

I’m so happy I was able to birth her naturally, despite having a pretty rough night for both of us. I’m grateful for the support I received from this board as well as my doulas and husband. I couldn’t have done it alone.

Last edited by Jule'sMomInOR; July 31st, 2010 at 09:44 PM.
July 31st, 2010, 04:23 PM
frugality=reality
Congrats!!

So how huge was she? Maybe I'm missing it. I have a habit of that. My friends call it the "Kim skim."
July 31st, 2010, 05:02 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh, she's not that big. 8 lbs, 7 oz with a 14" head. My DH must have thought she was bigger and just got a little too expressive.

Last edited by Jule'sMomInOR; July 31st, 2010 at 05:08 PM.
July 31st, 2010, 06:38 PM
lulumama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations! She's gorgeous! Nice work, supermama!

Forever missing our baby boy, Otis Allen, born September 12, 2010 at 41 wks; left this world 36 hours later.

Blessed with our Maui Miracle - Owen Kekoa, born 9/19/11 at 35w3d!
July 31st, 2010, 10:05 PM
frugality=reality
8 lb. 7 oz. sunnyside up is the equivalent of a 9 lb. 7 oz.'er. (as far as where baby's largest part is going through the smallest part of your pelvis instead of the largest through the largest).

And a good sized baby! She's beautiful.
August 1st, 2010, 01:34 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great job momma!!!! I am so glad you are educated because your story could have had a much different ending!!!!!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
August 1st, 2010, 10:48 AM
Super Mommy
what a wonderful story! you did a great job and she is just adorable!

August 1st, 2010, 05:46 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Congrats!! She is beautiful!
August 1st, 2010, 06:46 PM
Army_Wife's Avatar Blessed times 3!
Congrats!! She's so beautiful! WTG, momma!

August 5th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats!! She is gorgeous! WTG Momma!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
August 5th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats, she's as cute as a button.

I know the feeling about DH & his big mouth... Mike said "Wow! She's HUGE!" & then my Dr piped in with "That's a big girl." Gee thanks guys.
August 5th, 2010, 07:27 PM
ardisbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awww she's beautiful! Congrats and thanks for an inspiring NCB story!

August 10th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great birth story! Congratulations!

and introducing Julia Pearl
September 3rd, 2010, 08:27 AM
Great job! I LOVE these stories!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search