Briaunna's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2006, 01:36 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
I was 19 when I became pregnant with #1. I was also unmarried though the father was very supportive and he and I are happily married now. I was due in March. By April 6th, my doctor called to let me know that, after we discussed alternatives and issues, he had scheduled an induction for me the following morning. Wanting everything as natural as possible, I attempted natural induction the night of April 6th. I tried a castor-oil cocktail (OJ and castor oil – blah! Never again!), right after a meal of schezuan chicken (my doula friend did not TELL me not to try both at once! - I thought 'the more the better'). After that, I went for a walk, that ended in a run when I found myself 1 mile from home and the castor oil kicked in! I tried squats, nipple stimulation, everything!!! Nothing worked. So, at about midnight, I gave up and went to bed.

The following morning, I went to the hospital for my scheduled induction. The nurse wanted to hook me up to an IV immediately. I told her to please read my L&D plan on my chart (which outlines all of my requests and refusals – including no IVs or hep-locks). So, she told me that my only other option for induction besides Pitocin (via IV) was a cervical ripening gel placed on the cervix.

Within 15 minutes (7:45am) I was feeling mild contractions. At 8:30, we went to the café for breakfast. At about 10, I took a nap. Afterward, we played cards and walked the halls, visiting with the new mommies on the floor, after which I had a late lunch. At about 2, I took a shower (felt sticky and hot). That is where my water broke. Then we walked the halls some more. At 3:40, I asked them to fill the Jacuzzi. Before I went to the Jacuzzi, they checked me (dilated to 4 cm).

My coach (now dh) and I were watching my emotional signposts and knew that we were on the homestretch… very close to delivery, even though my medical signs said I had quite a while to go. Well, I walked two doors down to the Jacuzzi room, disrobed, and sat in the water. I had two contractions in the water, JUST got comfortable, when I felt like I had to poop. So, my coach called the nurse who helped me walk back to the room.

So, anyways… this old bitty of a nurse was helping me back to the room and I was peaking and resolving one on top of the other. I told her that the baby was coming and all she did was look at me with this look that said ‘NOW she is starting to feel REAL labor... I told her so’. Well… we got back to the room and she was going to just leave. I basically jumped her and told her to check me. She, literally, rolled her eyes at me and said, while pulling on her gloves ‘there is no way that you have dilated that much in such short a time… just relax’. Well, she checked me… and her jaw just about dropped to the floor. She told me not to push, that she was calling the doctor. On the phone I heard her say that I was 10cm, completely effaced, and -3 station.

* I have to tell you, I was in complete control, hardly any hard pain, through the whole Labor process. But, when they told me not to push, even though my body was saying that it was time; that is when it was painful… when I got in the way of what my body needed to do.*

My doctor, bless him, got there in 5 minutes and, literally, walked in the room, took off his winter gloves and coat before slipping on his surgical scrubs and gloves. So, here my doc is, winter hat still perched on his head, between my knees and telling me, blessedly, to push. With the first push, her head was out, but we found the cord wrapped twice around her neck and she was not breathing as a result. He gave me an episiotomy in order to get to the cord so he could cut it (it was acting as a noose as it was shorter than normal (17 inches), everytime I pushed her further down, it got tighter). I pushed three more times and she was out.

It was wonderful. I was able to walk around 15 minutes after her delivery and had a nice dinner (snuck in ribs and potatoes) that evening.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
July 14th, 2006, 06:49 AM
mrsdutch's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mrsdutch
Thanks for sharing your birth story! Im really looking forward to reading the others!

Angels Bright from Starry height, change my mind and being with light!

January 5th, 2009, 04:13 PM
shannaj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks so much for sharing! Your little finale about sneaking in ribs sounds like something I would do!

Thanks to Vicki for my gorgeous siggy!

February 26th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Isabelle's Avatar 3 Princes & 1 Princess
Great birth story. Thanks for sharing.

July 27th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Wonderful...I like to hear that there was little pain since I will be having a ncb for the first time any day!
July 27th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
I love reading stories where the nurses think they know what’s going on with your body and then get a shock. Congrats on your beautiful birth.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search