Frederick David Harold (Fritz)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Contractions started in earnest at 10 pm Monday night. It's funny, but that was right around the time of the complete full moon. We had joked that I'd go into labor once the moon was full. All day I had felt sick and my system was cleaning itself out so I had slept about 5 or 6 hours over the course of the day. The kids had gone to sleep around 9. I laid down about 11 to try to get some sleep but the contractions hurt terribly laying down. So I got up and started walking around and trying different positions. I started losing pieces of my mucous plug around midnight so I knew this was the real thing. At 12:40 I called my parents to ask them and my aunt to come over. They arrived about 2:30. At 1 I called my midwife to let her know what was going on. I told her when I needed her I would have Jamie call back.

Ani woke up at 2 and was a little chatterbox. She was so excited that the baby was finally coming. Around the time my parents and aunt arrived the contractions got stronger and I started my labor song. It really helped to "sing" to the contractions. About 4 Jamie called the midwife and said we needed her to come. I was still "singing" when she and her assistant arrived. Cameron woke up about 5. He cuddled right up with my aunt.

By around 7 I was quite cranky. It was hard to pee because the head was so low. No matter what position I tried it still hurt badly. I was having mostly back labor which is awful, but then every once in a while I'd have a completely front contraction and that was awful because I was used to the back ones. At one point during the middle of a contraction I yelled at everyone in the room at the time to help me (that was at least Jamie, the midwife, and the assistant, and I think my mom, too). Of course they all just sat there and so I very sarcastically said (still in the middle of the contraction) I see you all just jumping up to help. I was mostly fine between contractions but during them I wasn't happy at all.

I got in the shower about 7:30 and that helped a lot but standing up really cranked up the contractions so by the time I got out I was having them pretty frequently and they were hurting both in the front and back at the same time. Then I started having awful vaginal pain as well as the rectal pain I had had already. And then I threw up. I believe that is when my cervix must have finished dilating. I don't know for sure because I had no dilation checks during pregnancy/labor. In three labors I have never been told I am complete since all three have been in the birth canal before we noticed. I said it felt like the baby was starting to come into my vagina and so my midwife told me to check. I did and I was confused because I could feel the head but it seemed like something was in front of it (turned out he had a seriously molded head and it was his head all squished up).

At this point I realized that the contractions had just changed. They were shorter and farther apart but hurt more. I did not feel like pushing. I had absolutely no urge nor did my body push on it's own (neither ever happened). But I was in major pain from the contractions so I decided pushing was a good idea even if I didn't want to do it. This was about 8:15. I pushed a bit sitting up. That hurt, but I felt my water break. There was a little bit of meconium in the water so I just wanted to get the baby out as fast as I could knowing that (turned out the meconium in the water was very minimal). I tried pushing on my hands and knees. I think that was productive, but the pain was unbearable and the contractions just came one on top of another in that position so I couldn't handle it. I was sure I was being torn and ripped apart from the inside. So then my midwife suggested laying on my side. Jamie held my leg up and I pushed for all I was worth. It was uncomfortable but by far the most comfortable of the three positions I tried. I felt the "ring of fire" this time (didn't with Cameron, had an epidural with Ani). And suddenly his head popped out. And then his whole body. They handed him to me and after a few moments he started screaming and pinked up (apgars were 8/10). I pushed for 20 minutes and he was born at 8:34 am July 11th. I looked between his legs and was shocked to see he was a boy! I had expected a girl, but am so thrilled to have another little boy.

Near the beginning of the time I started pushing I vaguely remember Cameron leaving the room. Apparently around the time he started crowning Ani did, too. They went out on the balcony and my mom followed them. Both kids were so perfect throughout the labor. Anything I asked them to do they did immediately. When watching the baby getting born became too much for him they just left silently. At some point after Fritz was born the blood got to be too much for Jamie and so he had my aunt take my leg and he left the room for a bit. I never noticed that changeoff. I was too occupied with little Fritz. My dad, right after Fritz was born, went out to the balcony to let them know we had a boy. My kids were so excited. Cameron really wanted a baby brother. Ani's just happy to have a baby to hold. Cameron keeps asking when Fritz can play and walk with him holding hands and things.

Over the hour after he was born Ani put on his first diaper, I cut his cord, he nursed, and the midwife checked him over. He was 7 pounds 13 ounces (over a pound bigger than Ani was and almost 1 1/2 pounds bigger than Cameron was) and 20" long (1/2" longer than Ani, 1/2" shorter than Cameron) with a 14 1/2" head (same size as Cameron's, 1/4" smaller than Ani's). He loves to suck and was even born with a bruise on the back of his hand like his big sister was from all the sucking he did in utero. His latch needs a little work, but he is getting it (he's already nursed about 5 times in his first 7 hours of life). I did not hemorrhage this time and everything went quite well afterwards. Even though I could've sworn I ripped open while he was on his way out I did not tear and was left with only a "skid mark" and needed no stitches this time. Fritz had his first visitors (other than those there for the birth) when two of my friends came by around 10:30. My midwife and her assistant left after about three hours. Fritz has very long fingernails

We are so happy to have our little Fritz with us. It's amazing how much you can love two children and how much more love you can have when a third child arrives. Fritz is named for three men important to our family. Frederick was my grandfather (mother's father). I never met him since he was killed in a car accident when my mom was 15. There are also many other Frederick's in both sides of our family history (Jamie's Grampy, his great-grandfather, my great-grandfather, and more plus several Winifred's on both sides). Fritz was my grandfather's nickname. David is my brother's name. Harold was the first name of Jamie's father who died in December. He's got quite some names to live up to.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 14th, 2006, 07:08 AM
mrsdutch's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mrsdutch
Congratulations on your successful homebirth!

Angels Bright from Starry height, change my mind and being with light!

July 16th, 2006, 08:41 AM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aww that was so sweet. Congrats momma.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search