Ashlie's unmedicated hospitla birth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 17th, 2006, 07:39 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I looked this up on another board I post on. I actually wrote this out on Ashlie's first birthday.

Because my puter is still packed. I have to rewrite it. so her goes.
I went to the hospital for a routine non stress test because the baby was late. It was Jan 25. The baby was due on the 21. The nurses did not like the results of the test so what was supposed to be a 15- 30 min thing ended up being close to 2 hrs. They finally decided that they had got a few responses close enough to what they wanted and sent me home.
BTW I lived almost 40 mins from the hospital, in good weather. Considering it was January and I lived about 10 mins from the base of Mt Washington in NH it was never good weather.
When i got home my midwife had already called. She said after reviewing the results with a doctor they decided that they were not good enough. She wanted me to come back. But when I complained about the drive she said to come back in the am.
Eric had made plans weeks before to go sking. so I told him to go and if I needed him then I would page him. I was a little nervous but not really concerned. I have this thing with drs. I think they take some things way to serious. Having a baby is a natural thing and though sometimes complications happen more often then not things work themselves out.
When I got to the hosp. they hooked me up to the machine and started the test. And nothing the baby was moving but it was barely changing her heartrate. So they had me drink cup after cup of OJ,they blasted country and Western music(they said it always works ), they made me do nipple stimulation. and then they decided I was dehydrated. Iknew I wasn't, I knew it but they wouldn't listen. They just wanted to be sure2
Well I have this terible fear of needles.i paged Eric but they didn't want to wait for him to get there just to do an IV. I told her that I was gonna 2 if she gave me an IV.BUt they just don't listen. It took them 3 tries and then I almost passed out. I think i might have actually passed out because evrything gets a little foggy for a few secs, then I hear the nurse yell for the head nurse. When I passed out the baby's heartrate dropped from 145 to 35. It only lasted maybe 1 min but it was so freakin scary. Eric ended up getting ther right after this.
Well they finally decided to admit me bacause they were worried that the baby might have passed mencium.I had been at 2 cm for about a week.I was given a med called ?cervidal?. It was to soften my cervix. They put it in at 3pm on the 26 and I had to wait 12 hrs for it to do it's job. I had some mild cramping through the night. At 10 am my midwife came in and checked me. I remember how disapointed I was when she said I was only a little more than 2. The contractions during the night were pretty bad at times and I hoped that they had done something.
SHe then decided to brake my water. My IV had fallen out in the middle of the night and the nurses wre refusing to give me another becuase of the episode yesterday. So we were all really hoping that breaking my water would work so that i didn't have to get another one.
Eric was teasing me so bad. He kept saying that I was about to have a baby and I was crying about an IV. Even with this birth fresh in my mind I still say the same.
Within 10 mis of my water breaking I started having real good contractions.I spent most of my labor in the shower. It was the only thing that helped. Around 1pm I started to get so tired and I decided to lay down in bed. It was the biggest mistake ever. The contractions got so bad. All I could think was what in the world did I get myself into.
My midwife came in and told me I should get out of bed that it would really help. I didn't believe anything was gonna help but I listened and got back in the shower. and of course it helped.When I was in the shower my legs started to shake uncontrollably and I had to sit down because I couldn't hold myself up anymore. The midwife said that it could be a sign that i was ready to push so she checked and I was 7cm.
For some reason the pain had calmed down and I was sort of sleeping so Eric went outside to smoke. He was probally gone 10 mins and i woke up and I had to push. The nurse went running to get him. I can't remember how many times I pushed but I knew it wasn't long maybe 20 mins or so. I do remember her crowning and how bad it hurt. I was lying to the nurses saying I wasn't contracting becuase I didn't want to push.
Ashlie was born at 2:45 pm. I was so shocked when they told me it was a girl. I had thought the whole time that she was a he.The feeling when they laid that baby in my arms was the most powerful feeling I ever felt. I do have Brandon and I love him just as fiercly but I was so drugged up for his birth. They gave me too much Stadol about an hour before it was time to push and I don't remeber more than half the night.
When they handed Ashlie to me it was just so amazing. I could not believe that I had grown this beautiful little thing inside of me. It is just such a miracle that we can do such a thing.

And that is the end. Or I should say it was the begining. i'm sorry if ther are alot of typos.

***** added today. I completely forgot about how badly I had the shakes during labor with Ashlie. I could barley stand and when igot out of the shower the last time before giving birth Eric and my midwife had to help me to the bed I was shaking and freezing and was actually covering up in the bed.
September 4th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
I love your story it sounds like it went well, besides the drive there and back and then there again. Congrats.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search