Baby ADF - boy born 9/1/06

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 4th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Veteran
(Note: I'm 41 and my first child (son) was born 9 years ago at 42 weeks 2 days after 40 hours of labor. I had pitocin to help labor as my water broke before labor was well established, and had an epidural - which I had complications from)

_____
At my appointment on 8/30 (due date) all was well, but no signs of impending labor. Cervix soft but only dilated a fingertip. That afternoon I began contractions that became progressively stronger and closer together. By 8:30pm I called the doctor and let him know my contractions had been strong and 5 minutes apart for over 2 hours. At first he wanted me to come into the hospital, but I told him that I wasn稚 dilated at all that morning and that I had a history of very long, very slow labor with my first. I also had had several intense spurts of false labor with this baby. He told me to keep track and if the contractions continued another hour or quickly became closer together to come in. By 9:30 they backed off to 15 minutes apart again so I decided to continue to labor at home. I take this break to try and get some sleep. I sleep very fitfully with lots of lower back discomfort and continued 15 minute contractions.

These continue on 8/31 and by 11:00 are again 5 minutes apart and strong. The doctor wants to check me just to make sure so I head to the hospital. I知 only 50% effaced and 1cm dilated, but they want to keep me in the hospital as my contractions are strong and are now 3 minutes apart. I should have known better, but I agree to stay and walk, walk, walk.

By evening the contractions are 2 minutes apart and I知 dilated to around 2.5 and about 60% effaced. I get no sleep that evening with the strong contractions, and have found it痴 just agonizing for me to labor in bed. I spend most of the night sitting on the birthing ball which is the most wonderful thing in the world! Through the night, my boyfriend, his step mother (MIL), and my mother remain with me.

9/1 I知 only dilated to 3 and 75% effaced (and exhausted from my night). I walk and walk, then get into the tub where I知 afraid I値l fall asleep and drown. I知 progressing so slowly and am becoming very exhausted from lack of sleep. The doctor encourages me saying that they are patient and will wait as long as it take my body to ready for delivery. I think about the option of starting pitocin. If I do, I have no chance to deliver in the tub, and I値l need to be hooked to the monitors which limits my mobility to the immediate range, plus I致e had pitocin labor before and I know how agonizing the contractions are. I知 worried it will de-rail my wishes to have an epidural free delivery. I also am beginning to realize that if I have to face another 24 hours of labor (which is very likely given my current contraction pattern) I may be too exhausted. At 10:00am I decide to have them start a low dose of pitocin with the agreement that I can control the dose and can ask to have it shut off at any time. My doctor agrees and the contractions quickly step up in intensity with even this lowest dose.

1:00pm I continue to labor on the blessed birthing ball. My water breaks in a gush all over the floor and even as they check me it continues to flow. The nurses comment on the large amount of amniotic fluid I致e got and my mother-in-law says my belly looks half the size it was. I知 dilated to 5 cm and the contractions are 1 minute apart.

2:00pm These are serious contractions. I知 still on the birthing ball, but beginning to have to vocalize and focus through them. They are really hitting my lower back, so bf sits behind me in a chair and applies pressure with his palms to my lower back with each contraction. He does this for HOURS and doesn稚 leave my side the rest of the evening.

4:00pm I知 struggling and feel that I知 entering transition. The nurses check me and I知 only 8cm. this is upsetting as the contractions are so close and painful that I only get a short break between them. I worry that I won稚 be able to do this and the nurse offers an epidural saying it isn稚 too late. I tell her I fear it IS to late since it takes me forever to labor, but once I get to transition I progress quickly.

5:00pm I知 losing it. My vocalizations get higher and louder and I知 having trouble focusing. My MIL, mom, and bf all make encouraging noises and try to soothe me. I develop a strange mantra of 的 can稚 do it, I can稚 do it, no, no, no, no with each contraction. I try to talk between contractions but there is no relief and I don稚 think I知 making much sense.

I lose track of time at this point. Nurses and my OB all come in and encourage me telling me I知 doing wonderful. The OB watches me for a moment and tells me to bear down when I need to. It helps. My SIL comes in and forces me to focus by getting in my face and vocalizing and breathing with me. She turns my head to her when I start to thrash around during a contraction and helps me regain some type of focus. By this point I stand at the start of each contraction, lean forward onto the bed, then bear down with a squat onto the birthing ball as I bear down. Suddenly my SIL sees something in me and tells bf to yell into the hall for the OB to come. It痴 time to push and I知 so glad she saw it because I could hardly say anything at that point.

They urge me to get into the bed because this is a big baby, and I sit nearly upright in the bed with bf and SIL rubbing my back and hips. The urge to push comes over me and suddenly there is no pain whatsoever. I mean NO PAIN at all. I don稚 even feel the contractions. I push and can feel the head move down the canal and right at the edge. I feel my OB rubbing and gently stretching, and applying warm cloths. It takes about 6 pushes and the head is out. (Posterior presentation). My OB gently turns the head and suctions out the nose and mouth while I take a few much needed breaths. Birthing the shoulder was hard as part of the baby must have pressed hard on my sciatic nerve and I panicked a bit when my left leg went totally numb. But 2 more pushes and a shoulder is out, then 1 more and out comes the rest of the baby. A boy! Little ADF is quiet and alert as he looks around. Proud bf cuts the cord and they place my little guy on my chest in a blanket to stay warm as I admire him. At this point, I知 so exhausted that I just want to doze off with my baby. My OB patiently awaits the placenta to deliver and lets me know that I致e only had 3 tiny superficial tears. He notes my previous episiotomy scar and I realize that I owe him thanks for helping me birth this big baby without having to endure another cut.

Baby ADF a boy! Born at 6:30 pm 9/1/06. 9lbs ス oz.
September 4th, 2006, 01:30 PM
koakoba's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a beautiful story, you are a strong woman! Sounds like you had an awesome birth team.

</div>
September 7th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
GREAT STORY!! gives me some things to know if i start to give up- get someone in my face to help me refocus...thats really good.
you've inspired others, hope you know!

September 8th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
that is a wonderful story. I had planned an unmedicated birth but I had to get pitocin and they had it to strong so I could not breath, I had to get a shot of stadol.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

September 18th, 2006, 06:39 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Marathon - that is BEAUTIFUL!

Bellies & Babies Blogger

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search