Sydney Jolie

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 19th, 2006, 11:43 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Sydney's birth story!

I woke up the morning of Thursday October 26th feeling as well as I usually feel when hugely pregnant, and had my shower and coffee before putting 2 ˝ year old Angus on the bus to preschool at 8:15. Soon after I started feeling crampy, but thought maybe it was the coffee giving me a little tummy ache, like maybe I had to go to the bathroom.

Around 8:30 am I felt like the cramping might be contractions - but they weren't regular in the time they lasted or the time between them, so I thought maybe a bath might help. Just in case, I called my folks and told them I was having irregular contractions, that I didn't think it was the real thing yet but they should have their bags packed and be at the ready. Then I called my friend Alison and told her the same thing and would she come over, meanwhile I was going to get in the bath and hope the pains stopped. That was about 9am.

I ran the bath but before I could even get in, I got hit with harder pains, strong enough that I knew it was contractions - so I called my neighbor and left a breathless message on her machine to please come over as soon as she could and watch my kids so I could go to the hospital. Then I got in the tub and hoped I wouldn't give birth there! Until that very moment I had entertained the thought of a home waterbirth - now it was the last thing I wanted! My tub has never seemed so small as it did when I was trying to hold a comfortable position during contractions. I had thought ahead and put some bottled water on top of the toilet tank beside the tub some days before (just in case) and boy was I glad for it - in between contractions I was gulping water - it helped.

By the time Alison got there my contractions were regular, about 3 minutes apart, and very strong and I could tell I was pretty dilated. Alison helped me from the tub to my bedroom. My neighbor Sheri arrived and played with Jack & Mia while Alison urged me to get dressed, but all I wanted to do was hug the edge of my bed. I really wanted to stay naked, getting dressed just seemed an impossibly difficult task, lol. Alison said if I didn't get dressed she would carry me to the hospital in a towel, so in between 2 pains I managed to put a top and my yoga pants. Made it down the stairs in the next contraction break, into an armchair by the door where I curled up before the next pain.

It was 10 am. Alison put my bag in the truck and as soon as the next contraction was over I sprinted down the stairs and into the back seat of the truck - which had all the carseats in it - so I jumped over the center console into the front passenger seat. Alison said she's never seen a pregnant woman move so fast, lol. Up to this point I had not cried out with any of the pains, didn't want to scare my 4 & 5 year old, but as soon as we were in the truck and out of earshot of the kids I yelled pretty good!

Thankfully the hospital was not far. On the way there Alison called L&D and asked them to meet us out front with a wheelchair. No way I could walk, the pains were about a minute apart now and really hard. As soon as I was wheeled into the delivery room I literally leapt from the wheelchair to the bed and said I want to push! The nurse helped get my pants off and checked me and sure enough I was dilated to 10. It was 10:15 am. I said I don't want an IV or monitor I just want to push, and nobody argued with me

The doctor came in, Alison (who had been parking the truck) came in, doc broke my waters and I was given the OK to push. I pushed once and whoa mama, there was the "ring of fire" - boy had I forgotten what that felt like! Next contraction I pushed again and didn't want to stop, I wanted her OUT! I even reached my hands down and tried to pull the poor child out, lol. The contraction ended, the doctor said Wait and take a breath and I said NO, I want her out! and kept pushing, right through the break into the next contraction, and that did it, Sydney Jolie was born. It was 10:19am. 4 minutes from when I'd arrived - but it felt like a lot longer, lol.

I had some nasty tearing so the doc stitched me up while I held my new baby girl, and Alison took pictures to email Sydney's Daddy. She got a funny one of me shouting as the doctor stitched me - it looks like I'm giving birth except I'm holding the baby Alison called her husband who emailed my husband Andy (deployed to Iraq) for me and 5 minutes later he called me in the delivery room! Was he ever surprised!

Sydney was healthy and perfect, 8 pounds 5 ounces, and I felt great! I have to say if I had to do it again, drug free and fast (less than 1 hour and ˝ from first real contraction to baby) beats all of my other birth experiences

Maybe next time I'll try that home waterbirth, lol

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
December 28th, 2006, 07:49 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Girl - you almost HAD your homebirth! That is great!!!

Bellies & Babies Blogger
January 31st, 2008, 06:48 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
man you are one lucky lucky girl! im insanely jealous congrats ona great birth you deserve it mama

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search