Birth of Evangeline

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Evangeline Lily Marie
11/10/2006 @ 39 weeks
8 lbs 9 oz, 21 inches

Back story:

Late friday morning I decided to go in and see if anything was happening. I was having mild contractions that weren't at all regular, but was feeling a lot more pressure. I go in and see that my favorite midwife was on call and was very pleased. She did an internal and found I was 3 cm, still 70% effaced and -2. They were going to send me on my way after they got a more reactive strip. Since my next appt. was Tuesday and I was going to get stripped, she asked if I wanted to have it done before I left. I gladly accepted and to her surprise she can now easily stretch me to 4 cm and my bag was bulging. She said they would admit me if I was a solid 4 even if I wasn't in active labor.

I left with instructions to go walking for about two hours and get something to eat and come back for an exam. I waited maybe 20 mins for DH to pick me up and we headed to Taco Bell. After eating, we walked around at Walmart for about 30 mins. We got back around 1:40 pm and I waited what seemed like forever before being checked. I thought for sure I'd be going home since I didn't feel any different. Much to our surprise I was now 5 cm but not in active labor. She didn't feel comfortable sending me home and asked the OB on call about admitting me because they would essentially be inducing me if I didn't go into labor on my own. We got the okay, got settled in and waited some more. I was told to go walk for about an hour to see if that would get things going. So, we walked and walked and still no contractions, although I was having a nice backache and lots of pressure. After the walking she checked me and was 6 cm and now time to start talking induction. My body wasn't sure what it wanted to do, so I was all for getting things going. She broke my water at 5:20 pm and was on the monitor 'til about 6. Soon after I hopped on my birthing ball to see if it would help her descend, but with all the water gushing everywhere and me making a huge mess I decided to get back in bed.

The good stuff:

By 6:30 contractions were coming every 4-5 mins, but they were barely noticeable and I only had maybe 5 within a 40 minute period. My midwife suggested I take a hot shower to help stimulate labor, so at 7:00 pm it was shower time. I had DH rub some EO in my back and I rubbed some into my stomach. It was very soothing and relaxing and within 5 mins my contractions were 2-3 mins apart; however, after 30 mins they still weren't very strong. By this time I was 7 cm. Nurses came in at 7:45 pm to put me back on the monitor, left and came back at 8 because she wasn't as reactive and her heart rate kept dropping off the monitor. Prior to 8 o'clock I was feeling fine and talking up a storm and waiting impatiently for things to kick in. But now I was getting uncomfortable, but still not in any real pain. I was doing my deep breathing and relaxation. I was pretty calm. Nurses thought I had progressed more and called for the midwife.

At 8:10 pm I was a "stretchy" 8 cm, -1, with a cervical lip. I was told she'd be here soon and if I wanted I could use the shower, but no birthing in it. It was a little after 8:20 pm when she tells me just before leaving that I felt any pressure to let them know right away. The contraction I had just after she left was accompanied by pressure and with the next one, she was coming. She was gone only a couple minutes and came rushing back in with the nurses frantically getting things together. This part went by so fast and was intense. They asked what position I wanted to birth her in and I mentioned squatting, but when I tried changing positions it became uncomfortable. I said lets just do it in a semi-reclined position. Meanwhile, she was crowning as they were still prepping. I never got the urge to push, only felt lots of pressure. I felt a burning or stinging sensation when her head was crowning. I was kind of on my left side with my right leg up in the air and lightly pushed twice to get her head our and two more times for her body. After an uneventful, amazing 1 hr 27 minute "labor" Evee was born at 8:32 pm. It was awesome for me and an interesting and amazing experience for my midwife.

Pax, Aeon

December 28th, 2006, 07:47 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
beautiful!! thanks for sharing. The way it should be - mom and baby led.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
January 31st, 2008, 06:57 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
shes so cute! what a great labor story - the kind we all dream of

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search