New Here - Birth Center birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 17th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Regular
I was pretty convinced that I would go into labor sometime before May 2nd because of the full moon, or at least I was kind of hopeful because I'd heard women talk about how the full moon had moved them into labor. On May 1st I lost part of my mucus plug and there was bloody show with it, I had an appointment with my Midwife the very same day and she said she doubted I would make it another week, let alone to the 18th when my due date was. I was pretty excited to hear that because I was done being pregnant, what with the swelling and inability to sleep, constant peeing in the middle of the night, etc. I had hardly a cramp the next day (May 2nd) and pretty much doused hope that the baby was coming anytime soon, I figured my body was just being really mean to me. I decided to head out that day and get some good nursing bra's as it was something I hadn't done yet, I got them and then stopped at McDonalds and ordered a Big Mac meal because I just knew I could eat it all! I should have known something was up when I took only 4 bites and then tossed the rest of it in the garbage. The night of May 2nd I got DH to take some maternity pictures of me because I didn't want to wait too long (same deal as the maternity bra's) and I sure didn't want him taking any while I was in labor because I figured I wouldn't be looking too pretty. So he did that and then I went to bed early because I had been totally exhausted the two previous nights and unable to sleep. He also made a comment about my belly looking different, I think his the word he used was "Floppier", nice.

The morning of May 3rd we had a storm front roll through, I guess it came with some low pressure and DH swears that is what put me into labor. At about 3 a.m. I got up to go to the bathroom and I thought I felt a "pop" or something, but it was so faint that I figured I was either imagining it or it was just gas, lol. Well I peed and then got back in bed, but as soon as I got on my back, my boxer shorts were soaked with a very warm gush of fluid. I got up and went back into the bathroom, not entirely convinced that my water had broken because it wasn't the huge gush I was expecting. I had a little bit of dripping while in the bathroom, but nothing substantial. When I wiped I saw that it really looked like very thin egg white with a little bit of blood in it. I went ahead and called my Midwife and she asked if I was having contractions, I was not, I was actually not feeling anything. So she said to go back to bed and she'd call me around 9 a.m. if I didn't call her first. I managed to sleep until about 4:30 and then was overcome by this incredible pressure in my low abdomen, I was expecting contractions, but it didn't happen that way, it was just a steady pain that never went away and continued to get worse. I called my Midwife around 5:30 a.m. and we agree that we'd meet at the birth center at 7 a.m.

I asked DH to get out of bed around 6 a.m., I was in a lot of discomfort at this point and needed his assistance with getting my bags in the car, rubbing my belly, holding my hand, etc. He got up and started to time my contractions, I could make them out at this point though the pain never really went away as I'd heard other people talk about. They were around 4 minutes apart at 6 a.m. and I called my Midwife again to let her know we'd be there sooner than 7 a.m. because I really thought I needed to be there. DH loaded everything into the car and I reclined my seat for the drive over, it was not a fun 20 minute drive at all, but I think he did manage to make it there in 10 minutes, lol. While we were in the car my whole body began to shake uncontrollably, my teeth were chattering, it was the craziest thing and I just could not control it. When we got to the birth center I was in the middle of a contraction so DH held me and rocked with me in the parking lot until it was done. Once it was done I immediately threw up next to my car, thank goodness I hadn't had much to eat the day before so it was pretty much just clear fluid.

We got in the birth center and my Midwife had me lay down so she could listen to the baby's heartbeat (nice and strong) and also check my dilation. At 7 a.m. I was "6, but almost 7 centimeters" dilated. She said that I could get into the Jacuzzi tub as long as I was past 5 centimeters, so she immediately started filling the tub with water. I sat on the birthing ball holding DH's arms until the tub was ready, the birthing ball was wonderful, rocking through the contractions, breathing, feeling a rhythm, it was very nice. The tub was even better than the birthing ball, finally I was getting relief from the contractions whereas I hadn't been at all in the last 2 hours. I could feel them coming on, peaking and subsiding, the whole time I was just counting and remembering to breath. The Midwife called my Doula (the lady who had been doing our childbirth classes) and told her to come on out because things were progressing faster than expected. I labored in the tub for about an hour, the Doula was fanning me, DH was holding my hand and the Midwife was pouring warm water onto my belly. Things were really going okay and I thought I was handling everything very well, it was a very serene environment, not a lot of talking, and it was just the 4 of us in the building.

I hit transition while in the bathtub and even though they had talked extensively in the childbirth class about what transition would feel like, I was still extremely unprepared for it. The contractions began and would peak 3 or 4 times before subsiding, so that they felt like they were lasting 5 minutes in one single contraction. I just breathed at the start of each one and kept it up until I felt the last sensation go from my body. That did not work for too long, about 10 minutes into transition I got that "I need to get out of here now at any cost" feeling, I was panicked and pretty much just wanted to crawl out of my skin, anything to get away from the pressure I was feeling. Of course the Midwife and Doula both knew what was happening and they reminded me "This is the part we told you about, where you feel like you can't do it anymore, it's the shortest but hardest part". I replied with an agonized "I can't do this anymore", it was true, I felt like I had come so far and just didn't think my body would be able to complete the journey. I told them that I was afraid, that I didn't know what to do, they just reassured me that I was doing exactly what I needed to do and that it would be done soon and I'd have my baby.

At this point I asked to get out of the tub, I think I was hot or I just had to leave that position because I was very panicked. They moved me to the bed, which was nice and cool, and then I asked to go to the bathroom. I didn't end up having to go, but I felt the urge to vomit so they gave me a bucket, also to no avail, I guess it was just the intense pressure making my body feel these things. I got back in the bed and the Midwife asked to check me one more time, I was fully dilated and effaced, she said I could begin pushing whenever I felt the urge. I did not want to wait for the urge, I knew the only way the baby was coming out was if I got down to business and pushed him out. So I pushed at first without a contraction, but my push was followed by a contraction and then that's when I REALLY pushed, it was like I wasn't even in control of my body, I was just bearing down with all my might and I could immediately feel his head begin to move through the birth canal. It wasn't horrible at all, pushing was good, it gave purpose to the pain and I knew that I could finish the job. I felt his head moving and felt the burning as he began to crown, the Midwife told me to hold him there, so I panted through the next contraction, just like the Doula had taught us in class, it was not at all as hard as I thought it would be. While I was panting the Midwife told me that I could reach down and feel his head, but I was so caught up in my job that I declined, I just wanted his head out and I wasn't touching anything until I knew that was done. The next contraction brought his head all the way out and I looked down at my baby, he had a head full of dark hair and was shaped like a torpedo, lol. The Midwife told me that on the next contraction I would need to bring his body out, so I pushed with everything I had in me and just a few seconds later she was saying "Reach down and take your baby", so I put my hands down under his armpits, gave one more push and his bottom half emerged, I pulled him onto my stomach and just stared at him, totally amazed that this little human being had come from me, it was the most awesome feeling. Jack was born at 9:26 a.m., just 6 ½ hours after my water broke. He was 7 pounds 5 ounces, 21.5 inches long and had a 14 inch diameter head.

He was so alert, he breastfed right away and was looking all around, he stayed with me for 2 hours before the Midwife brought in the scale to weigh him and take all of his measurements. He never left my sight, not even when they bathed him, everything was done right there within10 feet of me. Whenever the baby wasn't with me, they just handed him to DH, he's such a little guy in his Daddy's big arms.

I was able to leave the birth center 8 hours later, it would have been 4 hours later, but I had a problem delivering the placenta, which led to some bleeding that the Midwife had to get under control. I was given a shot of Pitocin to stop the bleeding and she did uterine massage, it took a little while and I lost a good bit of blood, but I was okay and everything worked out. The Midwife believed the issue was caused by the possibility of my having a low lying placenta, apparently when it came out it came out "dark side up" rather than "iridescent side up" and she said that sometimes when that happens it indicates the placenta was low lying. She also said it looked a bit deteriorated, she wasn't sure why though since I was 2 weeks early. I'm very thankful that I was able to avoid a hospital trip and that I had such a wonderful caregiver who was able to get it under control, allowing my birth to go just as I had wanted it to.
June 18th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Bre+Will=Reid
Great story, thank you for sharing! Congratulations on the new baby!
June 20th, 2007, 05:44 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow. Congrats and thanks for sharing your story!

August 17th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mikeys_mommy1_2006
Quote:
I was pretty convinced that I would go into labor sometime before May 2nd because of the full moon, or at least I was kind of hopeful because I'd heard women talk about how the full moon had moved them into labor. On May 1st I lost part of my mucus plug and there was bloody show with it, I had an appointment with my Midwife the very same day and she said she doubted I would make it another week, let alone to the 18th when my due date was. I was pretty excited to hear that because I was done being pregnant, what with the swelling and inability to sleep, constant peeing in the middle of the night, etc. I had hardly a cramp the next day (May 2nd) and pretty much doused hope that the baby was coming anytime soon, I figured my body was just being really mean to me. I decided to head out that day and get some good nursing bra's as it was something I hadn't done yet, I got them and then stopped at McDonalds and ordered a Big Mac meal because I just knew I could eat it all! I should have known something was up when I took only 4 bites and then tossed the rest of it in the garbage. The night of May 2nd I got DH to take some maternity pictures of me because I didn't want to wait too long (same deal as the maternity bra's) and I sure didn't want him taking any while I was in labor because I figured I wouldn't be looking too pretty. So he did that and then I went to bed early because I had been totally exhausted the two previous nights and unable to sleep. He also made a comment about my belly looking different, I think his the word he used was "Floppier", nice.

The morning of May 3rd we had a storm front roll through, I guess it came with some low pressure and DH swears that is what put me into labor. At about 3 a.m. I got up to go to the bathroom and I thought I felt a "pop" or something, but it was so faint that I figured I was either imagining it or it was just gas, lol. Well I peed and then got back in bed, but as soon as I got on my back, my boxer shorts were soaked with a very warm gush of fluid. I got up and went back into the bathroom, not entirely convinced that my water had broken because it wasn't the huge gush I was expecting. I had a little bit of dripping while in the bathroom, but nothing substantial. When I wiped I saw that it really looked like very thin egg white with a little bit of blood in it. I went ahead and called my Midwife and she asked if I was having contractions, I was not, I was actually not feeling anything. So she said to go back to bed and she'd call me around 9 a.m. if I didn't call her first. I managed to sleep until about 4:30 and then was overcome by this incredible pressure in my low abdomen, I was expecting contractions, but it didn't happen that way, it was just a steady pain that never went away and continued to get worse. I called my Midwife around 5:30 a.m. and we agree that we'd meet at the birth center at 7 a.m.

I asked DH to get out of bed around 6 a.m., I was in a lot of discomfort at this point and needed his assistance with getting my bags in the car, rubbing my belly, holding my hand, etc. He got up and started to time my contractions, I could make them out at this point though the pain never really went away as I'd heard other people talk about. They were around 4 minutes apart at 6 a.m. and I called my Midwife again to let her know we'd be there sooner than 7 a.m. because I really thought I needed to be there. DH loaded everything into the car and I reclined my seat for the drive over, it was not a fun 20 minute drive at all, but I think he did manage to make it there in 10 minutes, lol. While we were in the car my whole body began to shake uncontrollably, my teeth were chattering, it was the craziest thing and I just could not control it. When we got to the birth center I was in the middle of a contraction so DH held me and rocked with me in the parking lot until it was done. Once it was done I immediately threw up next to my car, thank goodness I hadn't had much to eat the day before so it was pretty much just clear fluid.

We got in the birth center and my Midwife had me lay down so she could listen to the baby's heartbeat (nice and strong) and also check my dilation. At 7 a.m. I was "6, but almost 7 centimeters" dilated. She said that I could get into the Jacuzzi tub as long as I was past 5 centimeters, so she immediately started filling the tub with water. I sat on the birthing ball holding DH's arms until the tub was ready, the birthing ball was wonderful, rocking through the contractions, breathing, feeling a rhythm, it was very nice. The tub was even better than the birthing ball, finally I was getting relief from the contractions whereas I hadn't been at all in the last 2 hours. I could feel them coming on, peaking and subsiding, the whole time I was just counting and remembering to breath. The Midwife called my Doula (the lady who had been doing our childbirth classes) and told her to come on out because things were progressing faster than expected. I labored in the tub for about an hour, the Doula was fanning me, DH was holding my hand and the Midwife was pouring warm water onto my belly. Things were really going okay and I thought I was handling everything very well, it was a very serene environment, not a lot of talking, and it was just the 4 of us in the building.

I hit transition while in the bathtub and even though they had talked extensively in the childbirth class about what transition would feel like, I was still extremely unprepared for it. The contractions began and would peak 3 or 4 times before subsiding, so that they felt like they were lasting 5 minutes in one single contraction. I just breathed at the start of each one and kept it up until I felt the last sensation go from my body. That did not work for too long, about 10 minutes into transition I got that "I need to get out of here now at any cost" feeling, I was panicked and pretty much just wanted to crawl out of my skin, anything to get away from the pressure I was feeling. Of course the Midwife and Doula both knew what was happening and they reminded me "This is the part we told you about, where you feel like you can't do it anymore, it's the shortest but hardest part". I replied with an agonized "I can't do this anymore", it was true, I felt like I had come so far and just didn't think my body would be able to complete the journey. I told them that I was afraid, that I didn't know what to do, they just reassured me that I was doing exactly what I needed to do and that it would be done soon and I'd have my baby.

At this point I asked to get out of the tub, I think I was hot or I just had to leave that position because I was very panicked. They moved me to the bed, which was nice and cool, and then I asked to go to the bathroom. I didn't end up having to go, but I felt the urge to vomit so they gave me a bucket, also to no avail, I guess it was just the intense pressure making my body feel these things. I got back in the bed and the Midwife asked to check me one more time, I was fully dilated and effaced, she said I could begin pushing whenever I felt the urge. I did not want to wait for the urge, I knew the only way the baby was coming out was if I got down to business and pushed him out. So I pushed at first without a contraction, but my push was followed by a contraction and then that's when I REALLY pushed, it was like I wasn't even in control of my body, I was just bearing down with all my might and I could immediately feel his head begin to move through the birth canal. It wasn't horrible at all, pushing was good, it gave purpose to the pain and I knew that I could finish the job. I felt his head moving and felt the burning as he began to crown, the Midwife told me to hold him there, so I panted through the next contraction, just like the Doula had taught us in class, it was not at all as hard as I thought it would be. While I was panting the Midwife told me that I could reach down and feel his head, but I was so caught up in my job that I declined, I just wanted his head out and I wasn't touching anything until I knew that was done. The next contraction brought his head all the way out and I looked down at my baby, he had a head full of dark hair and was shaped like a torpedo, lol. The Midwife told me that on the next contraction I would need to bring his body out, so I pushed with everything I had in me and just a few seconds later she was saying "Reach down and take your baby", so I put my hands down under his armpits, gave one more push and his bottom half emerged, I pulled him onto my stomach and just stared at him, totally amazed that this little human being had come from me, it was the most awesome feeling. Jack was born at 9:26 a.m., just 6 ½ hours after my water broke. He was 7 pounds 5 ounces, 21.5 inches long and had a 14 inch diameter head.

He was so alert, he breastfed right away and was looking all around, he stayed with me for 2 hours before the Midwife brought in the scale to weigh him and take all of his measurements. He never left my sight, not even when they bathed him, everything was done right there within10 feet of me. Whenever the baby wasn't with me, they just handed him to DH, he's such a little guy in his Daddy's big arms.

I was able to leave the birth center 8 hours later, it would have been 4 hours later, but I had a problem delivering the placenta, which led to some bleeding that the Midwife had to get under control. I was given a shot of Pitocin to stop the bleeding and she did uterine massage, it took a little while and I lost a good bit of blood, but I was okay and everything worked out. The Midwife believed the issue was caused by the possibility of my having a low lying placenta, apparently when it came out it came out "dark side up" rather than "iridescent side up" and she said that sometimes when that happens it indicates the placenta was low lying. She also said it looked a bit deteriorated, she wasn't sure why though since I was 2 weeks early. I'm very thankful that I was able to avoid a hospital trip and that I had such a wonderful caregiver who was able to get it under control, allowing my birth to go just as I had wanted it to.[/b]
That's was a great and beautiful story! I hope everything as wonderful for me as it did for you!AWSOME! Very Amazing! I just loved your story!

</div>
January 30th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
thank you for sharing this wonderful story with us! it was very inspiring!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search